Buying new

Discussion in 'Trials' started by edgerat, May 18, 2020.

1. edgerat

edgerat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will let you all know as much as my complete newb ass can! :rofl
    Huzband, jonnyc21 and Yinzer Moto like this.
  2. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    Vertigo 200 is on my short list, but I'm not sure I could start one. They have the Gas Gas Pro style kick start gear, and I had a hard time starting my '17 Gas Gas 125. I definitely can't start a Vertigo 250. I rode it, but someone had to start it for me... that's just poor little cripple boy me though. I've been asking dealers in the Northeast if they have a customer with one that I could take a short ride on.

Enjoy your new bike and looking forward to a full report!
    MT 007, jonnyc21, riabma77 and 3 others like this.
  3. trials935

trials935 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Norman, I thought you said you can start the Beta 250, put a slow throttle tube on it, low compression insert, you may need to practice better throttle control , you'll love the grunt.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  4. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 250 comes as low compression.
  5. edgerat

Oddometer:
    I will pay attention to the kick-start effort for you :pynd
  6. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  7. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
    I can start it and have no trouble with throttle control, even with the white throttle tube. Riding a quick to rev Scorpa 125 Factory reinforces throttle control... You have to use more throttle to get things done, but if you grab too much it revs so fast, it will launch you pretty hard. The 250 is very controllable. It’s a joy to ride up a steep hill too.

It’s a weird thing I have about rotating mass... it just makes a bike feel too heavy and handle oddly to me. To me the Beta 200 handles different from the 250. I’ve bought 250 Enduro bikes multiple times, and always go back to my 125/144 big bores. If someone made a 144 or 156 piston for my Scorpa... I’d be good!
    riabma77, Huzband and trials935 like this.
  8. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    Time to get the TRS with estart...
    Yinzer Moto, Huzband and Norman Foley like this.
  9. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Norman hates TRS...

:hide
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  10. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
    I don’t hate them at all. Super nice bikes, and I did inquire on the price of a 250RR Estart, but I’m pretty sure I’ll stick to riding a brand the Tryals Shop sells.... Mike has just been too good to me.
    wardo, Buschog, Junglejeff1 and 9 others like this.
  11. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Gotta love a loyal customer. :thumb
  12. edgerat

Oddometer:
    Norman have you tried a Beta 300 4s? Some say all you have to do is put pressure on the kicker to get them to tick over, worth a look I would think???
    Dorian and Norman Foley like this.
  13. riabma77

riabma77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's an interesting interview to Daniel del Valle. Not sure if it's possible to have subtitles in English. They discuss interesting aspects about design and performance from Vertigo. It looks like they're coming with a electric starter (integrated in the gearbox) soon.

edgerat likes this.
  14. edgerat

Oddometer:
    Click the CC (closed caption) button at the bottom and that will turn them on, then click the GEAR icon and you can change it from subtitles in the native language to auto-translate and then select English from that loooooong list. I know because I have watched reviews on Vertigo en Francais and Espagnol :D
    Norman Foley likes this.
  15. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    A buddy has a 300 4t. I'd say it's easy to kick, but I've got strong legs. And I've noticed when he drops it, he may get to kick it a half a dozen times, before it will start. I'm sure Lineway will speak up, he's got a lot experience with these. I'd say if you're that concerned with starting it, you need to buy e start and be done with it.
    North ride likes this.
  16. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    The easiest to start 4 stroke is the Montesa. If you kick the 4RT like you are trying to start it, it won`t go. Took awhile for that to soak into my mind. The second would be an older 250 beta. Garret`s 2015 300 with a few upgrades took a manly kick. I rode Peters hot rod Beta for about 6 hours while setting the first National at Sid`s ranch. You would bottom out the suspension just starting it, but what a fun ride that was!
  17. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
    I've ridden all the current 4T bikes.... Montesa, Beta, Tenaci-Wong. I'm not a 4T guy. To mix a little Kenny Roberts and Commander Cody.... Mama hated Diesels so bad! :photog
    North ride and lineaway like this.
  18. North ride

North ride Long timer

Oddometer:
    So what does Ray Peters do to his 4t Beta motors ?
  19. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    TITANIUM valves, hot cams, factory cdi, exhaust. Then the list is not readily available. But he has ridden the Beta 4 t since they came out. What ten years plus winning the NATC Expert class after he retired from the Pro class. Not sure what year the motor is.
    North ride likes this.
  20. motomofo

motomofo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ray didn’t always have the full race motor... he won a lot of seasons with a bone stock 4T. I hauled his bike to the last 4 rounds one year, and when we got to the first of them, it had a worn out rear tire... and was practically bald by the time things were over and it was time to go back home.

Main reason the fast one was hard to start was because he would deactivate the auto decompression mechanism.