Buying Old GPS Units in Thrift Shops

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Emmbeedee, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    I just can't say no to $5 gps units, so I tend to collect quite a few in my journeys through thrift stores.

Today I found a Nuvi 1350 complete and in good shape for $5, and when I go it home, I found it had Lifetime Map Updates, and included a GTM-25 traffic alert cable. It had never been registered, so I did that through Garmin Express, and let it apply all the suggested updates.

So now it's all updated with the latest firmware and 2019 maps, and should be really useful to someone who's in need of it.
  2. on2wheels52

on2wheels52 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You've had better luck than me. I've hit a few of the local pawn shops but haven't seen much for deals.
  3. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I don’t bother checking the pawn shops. They try to milk people for far more than items are usually worth. If you’re knowledgeable and really want something they are selling, you can sometimes talk them down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any problems with batteries? My seven year old Nuvi died last year & I'm wondering if it's worth replacing the battery.
  5. on2wheels52

on2wheels52 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I owned a pawn shop for 30 years :vardy
    I'd like to think that the experience of my customers was a bit better than that.
    But I have been in enough other shops to know what you mean.
  6. arkansawyer

arkansawyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there a way to check if a pawn shop gps is stolen?
  7. on2wheels52

on2wheels52 Long timer

Oddometer:
    In my state everything that comes through second hand stores (if you will) has to be reported to Leads On Line.
    But of course the 'widget' would have to be reported as stolen to show up on their database and then an investigation begun.
    As long as I knew the ID of who I got the widget from I was in the clear.
  8. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I like finding a pawn shop with a reasonable owner who works with the customer to find a fair price for both parties.

It’s annoying to hear ‘take it or leave it’. I leave it.

9. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    All three units I picked up recently have decent batteries, fortunately. But Nuvis tend to always be plugged in so you may never know if the battery is on its last legs until you try it unplugged.

HarveyM likes this.
  10. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    i think the secret is to use them regularly .I have an old 2350 that is still really good.My sister has one that she hardly ever uses now it must be plugged in to go
  11. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Often, it's the cable/power cord "experience" that people get impatient with, and they think the GPS is shot. I have been there too.... your riding along on your bike and you hit a bump and the screen says "powering down in 30 seconds" and you have to take a hand off the bar to fiddle with the socket. :baldy

I have been having good luck with this Garmin Nuvi replacement power cord from ebay, a seller out of Torrance, California had them for 7 dollars and change/free shipping.

gps cord.jpg

Part of the success might be that it has those 4 contact points on the barrel of the thing where it plugs into your socket.
    It's cool, it also sports a USB powerpoint on the back of the head of the thing that glows blue when it's on.
    Working well so far, much better than OEM from Garmin! :clap
  12. deserteagle56

deserteagle56 deserteagle56

Oddometer:
    Only if for some reason you use the Nuvi without it being plugged in. To me the thing to look for is if the Nuvi has a slot for an SD or microSD card - and how big (memory wise) a card that particular Nuvi can access. Most Nuvis have very limited internal memory; you'll not be able to load the newer versions of City Navigator unless it goes on the card. My old Nuvi 5000 has an SD card with City Navigator plus the Garmin 24k topo and gpsfiledepot topo versions of most of the western states. I switch back and forth between the maps depending on what I'm doing.