Buying second hand questions

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by chillybean, Jul 21, 2020.

1. chillybean

chillybean Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all, looking at purchasing a second hand 800GS, the two I am looking at both have 40000 Km on them. Should I run away? Also any common faults I should look for?

Thanks.
  2. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Mate, you have got to spend just a bit of time providing details. Year? Photo of bike? Anything that you have spent a few minutes researching that interests you specifically?
  3. B_C_Ries

B_C_Ries Long timer

Oddometer:
    An F800 will go a lot further than 40,000 km. Of course the price needs to be lower if the mileage is high. Be honest with yourself and consider how much you will actually ride it, and how often you like to get a different bike. Lots of people ride less than 5,000 km a year and if you are one of those folks the bike could still be going strong 15 years from now.
  4. spencermarkd

spencermarkd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My bike has over 40K miles, aside from normal maintenance (steering stem bearings, wheel bearings, oil/filter/air filter changes, chains/sprockets etc) the only thing I've had to replace is the stator, known problem with early models. Oh, and I replaced the bent rear shock bolt, that was fairly cheap to do.

I can't think of any "common faults" specific to this bike that would be easy to spot. If all the normal things look in good shape it'll probably be ok if the price is right. That being said, really depends on how it was treated for it's lifetime.
  5. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    My wife and I have or have had 4, 650/700/800 twins GSs. 65K, 85k, 25k and 20k, miles. The only repair other than "normal" wear items was a stator at 65k on the 2010 800, $300 part and hour of my labor. After 2012 or 13 or 14 they updated the stator and it's no longer a problem. The one with the 85k miles was as tight as new when I sold it BTW.
  6. Tigershark48

Tigershark48 My other BMW is a Roadster.

Oddometer:
    Short of a damaged frame, anything on an FxxxGS can be fixed or replaced. Unlike an old car that's rotting out and falling apart. If they look decent, either one should be fine. Read the thread on here about the 650,000 km bike.
  7. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wasn't he at 750k km about 5 months back? See facebk post
  8. Tigershark48

Tigershark48 My other BMW is a Roadster.

Oddometer:
    Right. So, 40k is still like new.