Buying tires in Canada.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Drif10, May 26, 2020.

1. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    GW Cycle also matches or beats Fortnine tire prices you just have to ask.
    drrod1 likes this.
  2. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have been using Pete’s for many many years. When hubby was a tech at gp, the prices from Pete’s were still better than using his discount. I haven’t bought tires anywhere else. I have found that F9 prices are almost identical to Pete’s but in different way.

the cost of the tire(s) are more expensive but with “ free” shipping. The cost of the tires are cheaper at Pete’s but no free shipping. They always ended up within a few bucks of each other but my loyalty is with Pete’s so that’s who gets our dollars.

strangley though, hubby bought a set of tires and shipping was free but when I placed an order I had to pay shipping. This was a while back so.....shrug.
  3. bluenoser

bluenoser I'z da by that gets da UI

Oddometer:
    DualSport.ca has been good to me in the past. Revco.ca and BFDmoto.com (Black Foot Direct) also have some competing prices.
  4. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Kimpex sucks donkey balls.

They're the importer for Motoz. Tires for my AT are listed as arriving October 5th.

Yup, October.

I pinged Pacific Powersports in Washington State about shipping up here. They were quick to respond, have tons of stock, but can't ship up here. As the guy said: Kimpex doesn't do a good job for Motoz at all.

He can ship them to my NY shipping point, but until the border opens, I can't do that either.
  5. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    You have to be the 1st person that I have ever heard give praise to Blackfoot. My experiences have all be negative. Called the day after I purchased a bike with a problem. Never heard back & eventually solved the issue myself. Went in looking for a helmet (to be fair I visited 3 different dealers with the same result) Blackfoot was the last & they had nothing that I wanted. Told me they could order it (others said the same thing) Told them I could go home & do the same thing; for most likely less cash & without the almost 2 hr round trip to pick it up. Same issue when looking to buy The_Filly an armoured mesh jacket. Why even bother walking through the door now
  6. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Website for these guys?
  7. Drif10

Oddometer:
    Pete's has still been coming through for me.

Kimpex can suck it. "We don't stock many because they don't seem to sell..." if you only bring ten sets of adventure bike sized ones, well no shit, you're not gonna sell many.

Gamma does Shinkos, so they get my biz through Pete's.
  8. PFD023

PFD023 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I just traded a few emails with Gamma regarding a pair of Shinko's I bought from Pete's. Gamma explicity stated they do not supply Shinko's to Petes but didn't state who does. I originally contacted Shinko to give them some pics of a tire issue I had.....it wasn't going through warranty so I went directly to Gamma.
  9. Drif10

Oddometer:
    Wonder where they're getting them from, then. Last ones I got, I'm sure one had a Gamma sticker on it. :dunno
  10. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    Fortnine was roughly 40 % less expensive (including shipping) - yesterday.
    i was surprised - i have used Pete's many times in the past. but - not yesterday.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  11. CaribooBC

CaribooBC life is an adventure

Oddometer:
    I just had the same issue. 30 month old Pilot Road 4. I raised my concerns with them to no avail. Also took 17 days for shipping, out here to the west. Next time I will try someone else
  12. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    the tires traditionally come out of a tire warehouse.
    usually not stocked in house - that's a bad business model.
    Maggot12 likes this.
  13. smashley

smashley Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I assume you are installing and balancing yourself. My local dealer is cheaper to buy and install from him than to pay less for the tires from F9 and pay more for installation from them.
  14. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever It turns out you can't delete your account...

Oddometer:
    I think all bets are probably off right now, regardless of where you buy, thanks to COVID-related supply issues. I put new Tourances on my Scrambler in the spring, sourced by the shop that works on my bikes. The front tire had a January build date. The rear was five years old. Five.

There wasn't much anybody was able or willing to do, and Metzeler insisted the tire would be covered under warranty just as if it had been built yesterday. At a certain point, you have to decide how much goodwill you're willing to burn with your shop trying to sort it out... so the effing thing is still on my bike.
  15. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, is it causing you any issues? On C/L I came a cross an old favorite tire for the front of my DRZ, a Dirt-Shark, slightly used and at least 15 years old. Even though I had a new Shinko to install I threw the oldie tire on for fun and it's working beautifully! It banks well on dirt or street, even tho I ride the DRZ on dirt 95% of the time. I expected chunking or unpredictable handling and was surprised that it has done little of either. I'm wondering if tires deteriorate from the outside inwards and if you scrub off the older outside stuff you get to the good stuff laying beneath.
  16. Taylorericjohn

Taylorericjohn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just ordered a set of pilot road 5 from Pete's he was marginally cheaper the F9 for the set. My local dealer couldn't get me a set of anything in the sizes that I needed. Normally they mount tires they don't sell but because the stock is so low they agreed to.
  17. Taylorericjohn

Taylorericjohn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pete for the win! Ordered on a Monday, delivered by Thursday. Slightly cheaper than F9 even with shipping worked in. Tires are date stamped less than a year old. I love supporting my local dealers as much as I can but they said they couldn't even get me the tires. So this time it's Pete's for the win!
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  18. Stubbs604

Stubbs604 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just bought a set at the Daytona Motorsports Vancouver location. First time I'd ever shopped there so there was no bro deal. But their prices were the same as F9 and they had a few choices in stock.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  19. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    there's never a bro deal at Daytona.
    it's a great dealership, nevertheless, imho.
  20. Robert Quinn

Robert Quinn Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    PETE"S NO LONGER CARRIES SHINKO!!!!!
    He was told to up his prices or they wouldn't supply, he chose to stop selling them!