bwhip's phototastic two-wheeled adventures thread

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by bwhip62, Mar 18, 2015.

1. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome shots, looks like a sweet track too! You should really get over to the Ridge outside of Shelton WA sometime (if you haven't already). Heading up there this weekend for a track day Saturday, can't wait to turn a wheel on that asphalt. It's a fantastic track, great pavement and lots of elevation changes.

Have a special place for 675s too, owned one for several years as my street bike (and my wife currently rides a scorched yellow 675) - excellent motor in those bikes (heard a rumor they're going to take the place of Honda as engine supplier for Moto2 in '19).

Anyway, great shots bwhip...love the track!
    bwhip62 likes this.
  2. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow! Glad you didn't get popped like I did. It sure is easy to go fast there. :D
  3. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Ridge is definitely on my list for sure! It looks incredible, and I've heard lots of great reviews. Hopefully soon, thanks!
  4. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mostly because of being so busy with work, I haven’t been able to take a multi-day moto touring trip since my Northern California adventure all the way back in February (http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...dventures-thread.1050905/page-7#post-31538937).

Finally, this past long weekend (Thursday-Sunday), I spotted a window in my calendar where I thought I could make it work. Mostly I blame the calendar on my wall in my office, which in July features a photo I took last year at this time, when I took a fantastic trip to the Oregon Coast and beyond. Looking at the photo every day for the past couple of weeks has been making me want to go on another ride like that!

[​IMG]

So, after reviewing some potential regional route options, looking at weather forecasts, I ultimately decided to do almost the same route as last time, because it was just so unbelievably great. It would also be nice to go cool off a bit at the coast, as temperatures in the Boise area have been around 100 for weeks. My plan was to drive over in my truck to Bend, OR (about 5 hours or so) early Thursday morning, then unload the bike and start my journey there. I checked with a few friends, but no one was able to come along, mostly due to my usual short notice in spontaneously planning these trips!

I didn’t take as many photos this year, mostly because I’d taken hundreds of them last year, and I had almost nothing but bright blue skies and harsh sunlight the whole trip. Beautiful and pleasant, but a few clouds are definitely better for photos!

Thursday afternoon’s route was fairly direct from Bend to the coast.

[​IMG]

The weather got cooler and cooler as I got closer to the ocean, which was wonderful! Some fun twisty roads along the way, too – a nice warmup to the amazing roads I’d be shredding the next few days. As I drove south along highway 101, I had to stop for a quick selfie to show that I’d achieved the goal of being back in my calendar!

[​IMG]

I spent the night in Florence, OR, which was really a nice place to stay. My little hotel was right on the Siuslaw River, where it meets the ocean. I had some good seafood for dinner, and slept well thinking about the 400 mile route I’d cover on Friday.

Friday morning before I left Florence, I went out on the back patio of my hotel room, and saw this amazing view of the fog lifting over the Art Deco bridge in Florence:

[​IMG]

I rode south, and took a slight detour inland to Coquille, so I could ride the really fun road between Coquille and Bandon I’d discovered last year. It was early and the weather was cool, and the fast and flowing corners were a great way to wake up and start the route!

[​IMG]

At Port Orford, I remembered a beautiful view from up on a hill over the ocean, so decided to grab a pic of the new bike there.

[​IMG]

It was an absolutely beautiful morning, and I felt so blessed to be able to take in such spectacular views along the route, while enjoying motorcycling on amazing roads. I remembered taking some nice photos last year at a really majestic spot just a bit south of Gold Beach. However, when I got there, it was shrouded in fog!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hard to believe it was the same location where I got this shot last year:

[​IMG]

Oh well!

I headed south into California, up through some massive redwoods to the northeast and back into Oregon, and then dropped back down on a super-twisty mountain road into California near Yreka. The tires were getting quite a workout today!

As I went further east, the weather changed from the cold (!) 50 degrees with fog I was experiencing at the coast, to almost 100 degrees. It was hot! I stopped for a few photos at a picturesque desert canyon near Yreka. But stopping and posing the bike was getting really hot, so I headed toward my evening destination of Ashland, OR.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Saturday I’d head north toward Eugene, with hundreds of miles of moto-greatness along the way.

[​IMG]

Just outside of Ashland I found a really awesome road I’d not yet tried. The Green Springs Highway (Oregon 66). WOW! Dramatic, steep, tight, twisty fun! Another great wake-up ride! I was glad to have the opportunity to ride it up-and-back, as it was super fun (and empty!).

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. It absolutely blows my mind how many unbelievable motorcycle roads there are in Oregon. It’s astounding. We’ve all been on touring trips where there were incredible sections, but a good bit of boring, straight, uninteresting terrain in between. But I just did nearly 1200 miles over a few days, and almost all of it was utterly fantastic. I feel so fortunate to live so close to such a moto-mecca!

Hwy 138 east of Roseburg (N. Umpqua Highway) is super fun. Along the river, fast and flowing, empty and gorgeous. Reminds me a good bit of Lolo Pass, but not as long and with less traffic.

I had lunch in Roseburg, then continued on to some all-time favorites. Tyee Road is a hoot, and although it wasn’t on my planned route, I had some extra time so I decided to take a detour up the hill on Upper Smith River Road. Holy crap that is a great one! Lots of first and second gear hairpins, steep and fun. And the view toward the top is WOW!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I’m glad I don’t have to pick an all-time favorite moto-road, but if I did, a possible winner would be the Siuslaw River Road near Lorane, OR. I don’t have the words to describe how utterly brilliant this road is. Just the perfect mix of fast, slow, flowing, tight, dark tunnels of forest, brilliant sunshine, it has EVERYTHING. And soooooooooo much fun to ride! It’s so rare that I love a road so much that I double back and do it again and again, but this one I must! And I saw maybe two or three other vehicles in the hour or so I spent there. Completely awesome. Motorcycling heaven.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Spent the final night in Springfield, near Eugene, before heading back to Bend on Sunday morning.
    [​IMG]

It was a bit chilly for the first couple of hours as I made my way through the deep, dark, remote forest between Westfir and Cougar Reservoir. Around 48 degrees! Thank goodness for heated grips, because even with them my fingers were frozen. Still, I knew it’d be in the 90’s at home, so the cold didn’t bother me too much.
    [​IMG]

Another new route I’d have the opportunity to try this time, which I hadn’t before, was the Old McKenzie Highway, which runs over a high pass toward Sisters, OR. I can’t wait to do this one again! The first part of it was just NUTS! I’ve been on some tight and narrow corners before, but these were unreal. I was literally laughing inside my helmet as I climbed the mountain, testing the edge of the tires again and again. Hairpin city! Look at this:
    [​IMG]

The map doesn’t do it justice, because it doesn’t show the elevation changes, the scenery, and the fun. WOW! Four stars for this one, for sure.

Up at the top, there are beautiful views of the Sisters mountains through some surreal looking lava fields.

[​IMG]

I made it back to Bend around 11 AM, and loaded up the bike in the truck and headed toward home. Thankfully, the (used) rear tire I’d mounted just before I left had just enough to get me through the trip!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just an absolutely perfect four-day getaway. I couldn’t be more grateful. I sure wish friends could have come along to share in the fun – but hopefully next time!
    Uke, Meriwether, shuckinator and 6 others like this.
  5. oldoval

oldoval Energy Vampire

Oddometer:
    Awesome as always. Ducati owes you some coin for these gorgeous shots.

6. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Now that's an awesome road trip bwhip - basically sampled all the various environments Oregon has to offer...lol. Nothing like going from the high desert to the coast with a couple of mountain ranges in between :thumb:thumb There are several roads in your trip I haven't experienced...filing away for the future.

Once again, you make me sorely miss my street bike and have serious thoughts about trying to find space for one :ricky

Shhhhh...way too many people moving here as it is, don't need to spread the word and have it get worse...LOL. Only kidding. Actually, if most of the people moving here were moto-minded, it'd be a lot better. Maybe we can figure out a way to get the non-moto people to stop moving here and replace them with those who appreciate the roads and all the off-road terrain we have. Not the squids mind you, but the folks who save their playing when the traffic's light.

Ok, no more side tangent; brilliant images and write-up. That's the proper way to cover ~1200 miles and that poor tire is ready for the recycle pile. Impressed you were able to get that many miles from it - is that a Pirelli Supercorsa? I know the loops I used to do around the Fossil area would shred a rear over the weekend and we were only doing 800-1000 miles.

Thanks for pics and report - awesome as always!
    klaviator likes this.
  7. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much! I think I may have helped them sell a few Multis over the years. :D

My pleasure! So glad you enjoy the photos and stories.

As I mentioned, the trip was pretty spontaneous - planned just a couple of days before I was to leave. I looked at the stock rear tire on the bike - Pirelli Scorpions with about 1800 miles on them. The Scorpions are okay, but more of a multipurpose tire, and not with the levels of grip I like when really pushing in the corners. They didn't have a ton of tread left on the rear. I couldn't find any Pirelli Angel GTs or Michelin Pilot Road 4's in stock locally in a 190/55. I did, however, have an extra set of Pirelli Rosso IIIs at home that I'd put about 1000 miles on my Tuono with. So, even though they are more "sport" than "sport-touring," I decided to go with those for this trip. Grip was great, and the rear just made it through, as you could see in the photo.
  8. KHVol

KHVol Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I can ask, how long is your ramp ?

Trying to avoid buying a trailer and having to store a trailer in the future.
  9. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's one of these I bought 10 years or so ago. They're not cheap, but it's been fantastic. https://readyramp.com/.

I always try to find some berm or something I can back up to, so that it's a little easier to load and unload. On this particular trip, I went to a motorcycle dealership in Bend, and they had just such a berm for this purpose. They were also nice enough to let me park my truck in their lot for a few days while I rode. On other trips I've just parked on the street or in some secure parking lot (where I've usually asked permission).
  10. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've said many times how very blessed I feel to live in the Pacific Northwest, as we have such a ridiculous abundance of outstanding places to ride. The near-perfect combination of beautiful scenery, super fun and twisty roads, endless variety, and hardly any traffic. Yes, it rains and snows sometimes, and we do have a real winter when riding is nearly impossible, but other than that - perfection!

The more I ride in the region, the more challenging it becomes to find new roads to check out. It usually means traveling just a little further to get to the new spots. That's what I decided to do this past weekend. I'd heard great things about the North Cascades National Park in northern Washington. I'd even read more than once that it's considered one of the best motorcycle routes in the entire USA. So, I put together a plan to make a quick weekend ride up that way.

[​IMG]

Friday afternoon after work I drove my pickup (with the Ducati in the bed) to Yakima (about 5 1/2 hours), and spent the night there. Early Saturday AM I headed north. Most people heading north from Yakima toward Ellensburg would take Hwy 82. But I learned a long time ago to avoid freeways like the plague while on my rides, and instead to find more interesting (and hopefully twisty and picturesque) alternatives. I looked on the map, and behold a parallel route called "Canyon Road" which looked like it might have good potential.

[​IMG]

It sure did! Wow, what a fun road. Canyon Road was the perfect name, because it snaked along a river through the canyon, offering fun riding and great views, for around 25 miles. Hardly any cars on it, which made it even better. I took a couple of shots in the early morning light.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I continued on up Hwy 97, which was a beautiful ride through the forest. After passing through Wenatchee, instead of riding north on Hwy 2 or 97, I took another twisty diversion - this time up the steep and fun (and deserted) Badger Mountain Road. FUN! Speed limit was 50, but it seemed more like an 85 or 90 road to me. Just saying.

Views of Wenatchee toward the top were pretty cool too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ride north on Hwy 97 was nice, along the Columbia River. I'd taken photos there on a trip a couple of years ago, so I didn't bother with them this time. The light wasn't as good this morning for it, either. I was getting pretty hungry for lunch when I got to the cute little town of Twisp, so I stopped at a bakery there called "Cinnamon Twisp." Probably the best Turkey Club sandwich I've ever had. Seriously, that good. And a really great chocolate chip cookie and iced tea to go with it. Perfect!

When I got to Winthrop, I was astounded at how many motorcycles I saw in the cute little town on the eastern end of the Cascades. That place was hopping! Mostly Harleys, but lots of other bikes too.

Finally it was time to see what all the fuss was about. The ride up into the North Cascades, on Hwy 20. It didn't take long before it start to get really awesome. And I kept seeing bikes. So many bikes. It felt like I was heading upstream on the road to Sturgis. Mostly Harleys, for sure, but lots of BMW GS's, and a few sportbikes and others. Moto Central. Quite a few cars, but it certainly never felt crowded.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roads were mostly pretty gentle. In contrast to my usual rides, I never felt that much need to go crazy fast. It was just so beautiful and majestic, that I wanted to slow down a bit and take it all in. Crazy, I know! But look at this place!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Definitely one of the most scenic places I've ever ridden. It would be pretty amazing earlier in the season with more snow on the peaks too, I'm sure.

[​IMG]

Anytime I can stand in the middle of the road to take photos, you know it's not exactly crowded.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As I took in the view toward Ross Lake, I managed to turn this one into a bit of a selfie.

[​IMG]

The views continued to be astounding mile after mile. A very awesome place to ride.

[​IMG]

Toward the bottom of the hill near Diablo, the road was blocked by a worker holding up a stop sign. Didn't seem like construction, so I figured there must have been an accident. Sure enough, when they finally let us through, they had just loaded a fallen (and badly damaged) Yamaha onto a flatbed. :(

My original plan had been to loop around and spend the night at an Airbnb place in Skykomish, but my wife was not too far away at a dog show in Kirkland, so I rerouted to go have dinner and spend the night with her and the dogs instead!

[​IMG]

On Sunday, I rode another beautifully scenic highway (Hwy 2) toward Leavenworth. Mostly rode, didn't get the camera out much as harsh morning sun wasn't really favorable.

I found another really fun and twisty diversion (207 and 209 near Chumstick). Awesome!

Leavenworth was a really charming Bavarian-style mountain resort village, and quite busy! From there I traveled south back toward Yakima, and got a chance to ride that amazing Canyon Road one more time. Even better this direction!

[​IMG]

Although I'd planned to head over toward Mt Rainier to ride some roads I'd previously done, one of them was closed due to fire, and it was kind of smoky in the area anyway (not great for photos), so I decided to head home after the 650 miles or so I'd done in a day-and-a-half.

Another great northwest riding experience, for sure! Once again, very grateful to live in this part of the world.
    Uke, Meriwether, bad luck and 7 others like this.
  11. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic pics as always.:thumb:thumb:thumb I have ridden 42 states but that doesn't include the PNW. It's a definite on my bucket list. Thanks for posting this.:clap:clap:clap
    bwhip62 likes this.
  12. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Pins & Needles

Oddometer:
    Good stuff. Ridden these roads many times as I am much nearer to this area than Boise. Glad you didn't include any tales of near misses or hits with deer in the Methow valley (Winthrop to summit of N. Cascades) as it is one of the most heavily deer populated areas in all of N.A.

Beautiful country but I would recommend getting to Leavenworth on a weekday if possible to enjoy the town w/o the crowds.

Have ridden just about every bike I have ever owned up and down Canyon Road near Yakima and it is a fun road to race your buddy on (even if he is riding a super charged V-Max and you have no chance of ever catching him on your 'measly' VFR1000! Circa 1990 or so.) :lol3
    bwhip62 likes this.
  13. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fortunately, the only deer I saw on the whole trip was a very tame one in front of someone's house just a mile or so outside of Leavenworth. I was bummed to just discover in a quick Google search, that the downed motorcycle I saw was involved in a fatality. :(: http://www.goskagit.com/news/man-di...cle_994ae595-b6f6-5d6f-8b9c-2bb4d4d3761d.html
  14. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Pins & Needles

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that. RIP.
  15. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Excellent as always bwhip! I haven't been up that way on 2-wheels for a long time now (~9 years), but your shots brought back fantastic memories of a long Canadian ride we did that started with an east-bound trek across the Cascades. The pano shot you have of that 180 bend is fantastic - here's what it looks like back in '08 (hope you don't mind me posting).

[​IMG]

The next time you get over that way, I'd strongly suggest checking out http://www.whistlinjacklodge.com/ if your ride ends near the Chinook pass area. Again, tons of great memories from overnight trips to that lodge with friends.

Looks like you rode right past it on that loop you have coming out of Yakima :D

Thank you for taking the time to get the shots and post 'em :thumb:thumb
  16. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice! Thanks very much - and my pleasure! :1drink
  17. Kodanja

Kodanja Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report! I've been yearning to ride the Cascade HWY for a long time....and it might happen in September! Thanks for the wonderful photos!
    bwhip62 likes this.
  18. bad luck

bad luck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't been up to the pacific northwest for years, now I really wanna go. Maybe next year. Awesome rr and pics.
    bwhip62 and TheAdmiral like this.
  19. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had a blast with five great friends over the past weekend (Friday-Sunday), tearing up central Oregon's finest roads (not to mention a little bit of Idaho and Washington too!). I'd invited a good friend of mine from South Carolina to fly out and ride one of my bikes (we traded off regularly during the ride), as he'd never been out to this part of the country, and had heard so many great things about riding here. We also rounded up several other good moto-buddies from Idaho and Oregon to come along.

We planned all sorts of different possible routes, but forest fires mostly dictated that we go ride some of the fantastic, secluded routes in central Oregon. We decided to use the "base camp" approach, renting a house near Baker City, OR, where we could all stay and use as a launch point for three separate great rides, with almost no overlap of rides. The house was a little bit removed from town (about 12 miles), but absolutely fantastic. Huge, comfortable, with deer and elk all over the place. https://www.vrbo.com/557042

The routes we chose gave everyone an incredible variety of terrain and riding styles, from fast and flowing, to tight and twisty, deserts, lakes, rivers, forests, plains, everything. And lots of deer and cattle to avoid!

On Friday we ran this route:

[​IMG]

We'd originally planned to go all the way to Antelope, to catch the incredible Shaniko-Fossil Highway, but ran out of time and instead went for a quick zip north on Hwy 207 outside of Spray, which is an unbelievably fun stretch of road. One of my favorites.

I told the guys I'd already taken a zillion photos along these routes, so we'd only stop if they felt they wanted to stop to take any (so we didn't stop much for photos!). We did get a couple on Friday:

Cathedral Rock
    [​IMG]

Along the river near Kimberly

[​IMG]

On Saturday we decided to run this route, which would take us north up into Washington along the spectacular Rattlesnake Pass. We also did a quick diversion over to the Snake River between Oregon and Idaho near Oxbow, OR.

[​IMG]

Hwy 86 along the river was a fantastic way to start the day. We got some fuel near Oxbow, then rode over the hill to check out the Snake River along the border between Oregon (right) and Idaho (left):

[​IMG]

We then climbed the hill into the deep forest along Wallowa Mountain Road, and stopped at the Snake River Canyon lookout point. Thankfully the smoke from the fires had cleared a little bit, so the view was pretty nice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very entertaining group - and some great riders too! In the photo we're all pretending to like each other and look like we're having fun.

[​IMG]

We had lunch in Joseph, and then headed through Enterprise toward Washington. Before long we were at one of the all-time great motorcycle roads, Rattlesnake Pass.

[​IMG]

My buddy from South Carolina was blown away by all of the areas we covered, and particularly loved it here.

[​IMG]

On Sunday we climbed the hill from Baker City through "Little Alps" and the Anthony Lakes ski resort (over 7000 ft elevation). It was chilly, but beautiful. We rode more amazing, twisty roads, and had an absolute blast. We stopped for lunch in Heppner, then headed back through the forest and deserts, making our way to Baker City, where we loaded up and headed home.

[​IMG]

Over the three days, we rode exactly 1,123 miles of greatness. Enjoyed cool, and very beautiful weather. Ate some good food, shared a lot of laughs, and kept it safe despite some rather spirited (okay, IOM TT pace) riding. Can't wait to do it again!
    Uke, Meriwether, motocopter and 4 others like this.
  20. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually looks very clear from what it has been. Fantastic routes.

[​IMG]
    bwhip62 and bad luck like this.