bwhip's phototastic two-wheeled adventures thread

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by bwhip62, Mar 18, 2015.

1. liv2day

liv2day Is Anyone Here a Marine Biologist! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice bwhip, the shot of your Tuono with the snow covered hills in the background is outstanding. Looks like a great stretch of asphalt man, hope you're able to get out again before the white stuff flies for the winter months.
    bwhip62 likes this.
  2. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much! Yes, Bogus Basin Road has been sort of our local "track" for many years. They've built a bunch of houses up there over the last few seasons, so it's not what it used to be for motorcycles, but still a really fun and scenic road, very close to home.
  3. Solo Moto

Solo Moto Hands are bruised from breakin’ rocks all day

Oddometer:
    bwhip, I just wanted to express my appreciation for your RRs and especially your amazing photography! I live up near Coeur d'Alene and have ridden many, but not all of the roads you've captured so beautifully. Just got my wife riding this past summer on her own DR200 starter bike for short local rides and nearby forest service roads. She's a quick study and is already making noise about taking over my DR650. For inspiration, I've been showing her your pics of rides I'd like to enjoy with her when she's good and ready to step up to a more capable machine (soon!).

How lucky are we to live in such a riding paradise, and for me to have a wife interested in riding, too! These damn winters just make me appreciate the riding season even more.

Thank you for sharing! Keep on riding and posting those photos!

Mike
    bwhip62 likes this.
  4. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much, Mike! Fantastic that your wife enjoys this passion of ours, too! Wishing you a short winter and a fantastic year of riding in 2018. :thumb
    Solo Moto likes this.
  5. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I thought I was done riding for 2017. I certainly had nothing to complain about – it’s been a fantastic season, where I got to ride thousands of miles on amazing roads and racetracks, from February all the way to November. One of the best seasons ever for sure.

However, after trying for years to coordinate schedules with my awesome friend Etienne, from Quebec, so that he could come out west and do some sport-touring with me in the Pacific Northwest, we were finally able to figure out a time when we could make it happen. Only problem? It would be the second week in December! Not exactly prime riding season in Idaho, Oregon or Washington. Too cold, too wet, too unpredictable.

So, where would we go? As I learned last February, the closest location with great motorcycle roads and halfway decent weather this time of year, would be Northern California. Etienne would fly into Sacramento, I’d drive down from Idaho with a couple of bikes, and we’d set up a base camp from where we could ride a few different routes over three days. We set it all up very quickly, over the course of just a few days. As the date grew closer, the forecast got better and better. Afternoon temps would be near 70 – 15 degrees above normal! The nights and early mornings would be pretty chilly, but we could handle it for the opportunity to ride nearly 800 miles of California’s best.

On Saturday morning I picked up Etienne at the airport, and we drove a few hours to the little town of Boonville, where we’d rented a small house on vrbo.com. It turned out to be a really good spot for our base camp, comfortable and convenient, in the middle of all sorts of vineyards, with nice little restaurants and a market nearby.

On day one (Sunday), we’d head north toward the redwoods, and then circle back down to the west on Hwy 1 from Leggett to Rockport, which is a legendary stretch of road. We’d then hit a few other amazing roads and enjoy the scenery on the way back to Boonville.

[​IMG]

The first road we did every single day of the trip was Hwy 253, between Boonville and Ukiah. An absolutely outstanding road! Super twisty and hilly. We had to wait until around 10 AM to get started every day, because it was cold! It was in the low 30’s when we woke up, and just barely was getting to around 40 by 10. Oddly, it seemed that everywhere we went, as we climbed hills and mountains, the temperature would get warmer, and as we descended, get really cold! Totally backwards from what we would normally expect. And many of the corners on the twisty roads we encountered stayed in the shade all day this time of year, meaning they were sometimes quite frosty and slippery! So, we’d go from blasting through corners at a high rate of speed up on top of the hill where it was warm, to needing to tiptoe through similar corners toward the bottom of the hill. A few scary moments, but we managed just fine.

It was so cold as we went north on Hwy 101 on Monday, that we stopped in Willits for coffee and an early lunch. We continued north through some beautiful redwood country to Garberville. On the Butler motorcycle map, it showed a highly rated road between there and Alderville. We only made it a few miles up that road, because although fun and scenic, the surface of the road was incredibly bumpy. We stopped toward the top for a couple of pics of the view, and enjoyed the warmth of the higher elevation (?).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We turned around and headed toward the road we were most looking forward to, and it didn’t disappoint. Leggett to Rockport on Hwy 1. HOLY CRAP!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!! Definitely one of the best I’ve ever experienced, ever! So beautiful, so challenging, so diverse, with fantastic flow start to finish. And when you get to the end, an absolutely spectacular view of the ocean! So completely awesome. Etienne and I were fist-bumping each other after that one. Incredible!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We wished we had hours and hours to play on that road, but daylight wouldn’t last that much longer, so we had to head south. We did take a little detour east on the road to Branscomb, which was also very fun – remote and tight through the forest.

We continued south through Fort Bragg and ultimately turned east toward Boonville on 128. This would have been a really fun road through the forest too, but by now it was getting pretty cold and dark, which made it quite an adventure! We even came across a car on its side, being moved out of the way by the CHP. We blazed back to Boonville as quick as we could, and found a nice pizza place for dinner.

Monday we decided to go inland, on a route that would take us around Clear Lake, and south toward Lake Berryessa.

[​IMG]

We traded off on the bikes throughout the three days. Because Etienne is more of a track rider than street, I’ve got electric heated gear I can plug into the bikes, and his is not and therefore not quite as warm. So, in the mornings he’d ride the Multistrada, with its tall windscreen and heated grips, and I’d plug my gear into the Aprilia, which offers a bracing blast of fresh, cool air.

I’ve said before that I can’t imagine two better bikes for the type of riding I do, and with each trip I feel that way even more. The Multistrada with its luggage and comfort for multi-day trips, and the Tuono Factory for shorter, hooligan blasts on great routes.

Etienne really enjoyed both bikes, particularly the Aprilia. We both agreed that it’s completely SICK! It does whatever you want, whenever you want (except heat your fingers), it’s ridiculously fast with instant power, and the sound is completely euphoric.

Lots of fun roads this day, but the best was Hwy 175 between Hopland and Lakeport. On the east side of the lake, we stopped for a photo near Lucerne.

[​IMG]

When we returned to Hwy 175 westbound in the late afternoon, we stopped to take in the views over the vineyards. Beautiful!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Probably the best part of day was heading back to our home base in Boonville, over the hill on Hwy 253. It was nice and warm, and we were just ripping it up! Just fantastic, so much fun.

On Tuesday morning, when we once again ascended Hwy 253 for the final time, I had to stop for a photo.

[​IMG]

On Tuesday, our final day of the trip, our route would once again go north to Willits, then over to the coast on Hwy 20 to Fort Bragg. It was really cold up there near Willits, but as we descended toward the ocean, it got progressively warmer. The road was pretty slippery early on, and we were being quite careful, but as the temperature rose, so did our speed – and we had a blast! This road was very similar to the one we rode Sunday between Leggett and Rockport, absolutely gorgeous and incredibly fun to ride hard. Just awesome!

[​IMG]

We had lunch in Fort Bragg, then headed south on Hwy 1 along the ocean. The road was unbelievably empty. We’re just rolling along at a very brisk rate of speed :), I’m looking at the beautiful Pacific Ocean, and thinking “Holy crap, it’s December! This is nuts!” And it was. But so great!

We turned east at Stewarts Creek, and headed toward Cloverdale. This road was completely insane. I’d done it back in February, so I knew that it started out bumpy, hilly, dark and crazy – but gradually got smoother and faster, ultimately becoming the closest thing to a racetrack you can imagine! In the early part, I was imagining that Etienne was behind me thinking, “What the deuce? This can’t possibly be the right road.” But by the end I knew he was loving tearing it up with me.

We stopped in Cloverdale for fuel before riding the final 30 miles or so back to Boonville. We happened to look at the rear tire on the Multistrada, and saw that it was long past done! Oops! I knew when we started the trip that it was a little worn, but figured it’d be more than enough to make it the 800 miles or so that we might do. Er, apparently not the way we were riding. Yikes! Thankfully, it made it back to Boonville without incident, and we loaded up the truck and began the journey home.

[​IMG]

Just before I dropped off Etienne at his hotel at the Sacramento Airport, we had to stop so he could sample another California institution – and he quite enjoyed it!

[​IMG]

I drove to Reno Tuesday night, and then the rest of the way home on Wednesday. I arrived back home to a reminder of how great I had it the last few days with my pal Etienne. Snow!

[​IMG]

What an amazing time we had. I’m so grateful to have had the opportunity, and especially glad I could experience all that greatness with my incredible friend. Can’t wait to do it again!
  6. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    As a former Ducatista (if there is such a thing), I love your two bikes and the fact that you use them. I must admit, in your earlier stories I couldn't understand why you would ever put that Multi in a truck or trailer. But have since gotten over it and love your thread. :clap
    The italians really got it right didn't they?

The Legget to Ft. B section is one that I stumbled onto a couple years ago and it is my all-time favorite stretch of road. Even above Rattlesnake, Lewiston grade, and Wallowa lake to Boise. Epic epic epic roads, all of them.
    My son (Seattle) and I have been mulling over a mid winter rendezvous in NorCal that we can both reach in a days ride. I can easily see us doing a repeat of your 3 days route.

Nicely done sir! :photog
    Extremenc and bwhip62 like this.
  7. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I'd always rather ride than drive, but if I've got a short window of time, and the choices are a) drive five hours and ride six hours in a single day, or b) ride eleven hours in one day, with five of those hours being boring, straight highway through the desert - I'll choose "a" every time. If I've got time to do a similar route over several days, and find the most interesting, curvy roads to ride, then there's no question I'd leave the truck at home.
    Extremenc and mikegc like this.
  8. Zubb

Oddometer:
    I already talked it over with Son. We NEED a mini tour and this fits the bill! Thanks again brother.
    Extremenc, Adamgerty325 and bwhip62 like this.
  9. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Paddle Shifter

Oddometer:
    I've "repeated" three of Brian's trips he's posted in this thread and all have been memorable. He's like having our own personal m/c tour guide (complete with maps, photos, accommodations and food recommendations!!)
  10. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    Just tripped across this thread, and Lovin It! Some of the best photos I have seen on ADV Rider and your descriptions make me feel like I am THERE!
    bwhip62 likes this.
  11. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much! I really appreciate your note. :beer
    Extremenc likes this.
  12. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last March we did some riding around the Boonville area. We camped at the fairgrounds in Boonville. We only touched a small portion of what you've ridden so I can imagine how awesome of a ride this is.
    [​IMG]
  13. ORexpat

ORexpat Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer:
    You've missed something interesting if you been through Point Arenas and didn't stop at the Zen House, a small independent motorcycle repair place known for their restoration work. http://thezenhouse.net/

Really nice folks, fun place to drop by for a few minutes.
  14. motocopter

motocopter ˙˙˙ƃuᴉɥɔɹɐǝS

Oddometer:
    Nice photos as expected!

If you change your own tires, do a cross-cut with the Multi tire. You'll just how thin and little material is remaining when the cords are showing. Even at the wear bars is an eye-opening.
  15. Adamgerty325

Adamgerty325 Adventure awaits!

Oddometer:
    Yes! Great thread and I’m already excited about doing this!
    Extremenc, bwhip62 and Zubb like this.
  16. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The weather has been warming up, the snow is mostly melting, so doggone it, I’m ready to RIDE! After several fairly intense weeks of work on a big project, I was ready to get away for a bit and clear my head. I had a church commitment on Easter Sunday, but it looked like I could get away Friday afternoon and Saturday for some twisty fun, so off I went! I was really looking forward to the opportunity to both twist the throttle – and snap the shutter!

I quickly tried to plan a route that would get me maximum amount of fun, fast, empty tarmac – and that would mix in a few new roads along with some old favorites. For anything reasonably close to home, it’s getting harder to find new roads, since I’ve done so many over the years – but there are still a few, thankfully.

Because my time was limited, I decided to not bother with riding the first (and last) couple of hours from home, which are sort of boring anyway. Instead I did my “trackday” approach, and loaded up my bike and drove to my launch point in Baker City where I unloaded around noon on Friday, and began my trip.

The route I’d take looked like this:

[​IMG]

A little over 600 fantastic miles in central Oregon. Weather forecast was for mostly sunny skies, highs most of the route around 60 – but cold in the morning and at higher elevations. I’d ride about half the route on Friday afternoon, and spend the night in Condon. Saturday morning I’d start the other half, and would arrive back in Baker City mid-afternoon then load up and drive home.

The snow on the mountains near Baker City made for a pretty backdrop as I started my journey on Friday afternoon.

[​IMG]

Ripping up the road from Baker City through Medical Springs and on toward Union was a great way to shake off the winter cobwebs, for myself and the Multistrada. The road was a little dirty in spots, but that wasn’t all bad, as it forced me to be smart and keep my speed and aggressiveness in check as I got reacquainted with my big red beast.

One of the new roads I tried this trip was Hwy 204 over the mountain between Elgin and Weston. It was a pretty nice, flowing road – but there was still quite a bit of snow up there! The road was clear, but temps were pretty chilly, dropping to around 40 as I climbed. At the top I stopped for a photo at the ski area. I think that’s the deepest snow I’ve ever ridden through on my bike. Thankfully the road was clear and mostly dry. I stopped for lunch and to warm my hands at a little café in Tollgate.

[​IMG]

Next I looped down through Pendleton, and on to another new road just southwest of there - Rieth Road, along the Umatilla River. It was definitely rustic – lots of potholes and rocks which had fallen from the rugged hillsides next to the roads. Mostly just cruising through here due to the road conditions – but it was very scenic.

[​IMG]

I passed through Hermiston and northeast to Hwy 37 through Hordman – another new route I hadn’t yet tried. I’ll be back to do this one again – it kicked butt! Really fast and fun. Just great! Super clean road, and no one on it. Awesome.

Back through Pendleton, and south to some of my all-time favorites – the road from Pilot Rock to Heppner, and then Heppner to Condon. What can I say about these roads? I had to stop for a few photos, of course – but most of my time was spent absolutely hammering these corners (which were, for the most part, remarkably clean). This really is like having your own personal 100+ mile track. It’s just unbelievable. I never get tired of this area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I spent the night at the Hotel Condon, which is a charming little place in the middle of nowhere. Dinner was at the little diner across the street (pretty much the only game in town, but always good food, with very friendly staff).

[​IMG]

The next morning I wanted to get a fairly early start, to give myself plenty of time to stop for photos, take detours if I chose to, and not get home too late. I checked my weather app on my phone, and it said it was 39 degrees outside. A little cooler than I’d like, but I knew it would warm up as I rode, and I’ve got heated gear, so off I went. However, the temperature gauge on my bike said it was actually much colder!

Within 20 minutes or so, my fingers were really getting frozen. Thankfully I stopped for some photos, and with the sun coming out and taking photo breaks once in a while, it wasn’t that bad.

[​IMG]

I traveled south to Fossil, and then headed west on another all-time favorite, the Shaniko-Fossil Highway (Hwy 218). Motorcycle roads can’t possibly get much better than this. I don’t have enough superlatives to say how awesome it is. 42 miles of absolute moto-bliss. I stopped for a few photos in the early morning light, of course, but most of my time was twisting that throttle hard, and testing the limits of my Pirellis – which did amazingly well despite temps in the 40’s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thankfully, my route required me to double back and do this amazing road in both directions, which was doubly fantastic. I like the flow better from west to east, so I was glad it worked out that way. I jammed to some Neil Young in my earbuds both directions - Psychedelic Pill going west, and Live Rust to the east.

[​IMG]

Another new-ish route for me (I’d done it just once before, a couple of years back), was Hwy 207 from Service Creek to Mitchell. WOW! I love this road. Amazing! Beautiful scenery along the way, and super fun corners. Did I mention almost zero cars? Incredible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I’d never ridden Hwy 26 from Mitchell to Dayville, and it was pretty nice too, with some really fun sections. Some great scenery I had to shoot too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course, the John Day Fossil Beds National Monument area is always absolutely gorgeous, so the camera got a workout there. Both Friday and Saturday I was really blessed with beautiful skies and great light for photos, so I had to take full advantage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next it was the familiar route through John Day, and then continuing on over the mountain to Unity, and then the final stretch over Dooley Mountain Road and back to Baker. This road is spectacular, though it remains heartbreaking to see the devastation from forest fires there a couple of years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The road was super filthy with gravel leftover from the snow, I guess. Still, it was a nice way to finish up the trip, as it’s just beautiful and quiet up there (except for the sound of a booming 1200cc Ducati, that is).

[​IMG]

Riding season 2018 has officially begun, and I’m so grateful to have these amazing opportunities just a few hours from home.

Looking forward to lots more fun this year - on road and track!
  17. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great pics as always.:thumb:thumb:thumb

Coming up and riding some of the roads you have posted in this report is up near the top of my bucket list. I can't wait until I have the time to do it.
    bwhip62 likes this.
  18. Zubb

Oddometer:
    It's good to see you back in the saddle and sharing again. You have a knack for finding 'the good stuff' and capturing it on camera. I'm coming up in June for some BDR travel with @Adamgerty325 and will have to see if I can squeeze in an extra day or two for this latest route of yours. Cheers brother!
    bwhip62 likes this.
  19. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    You have MORE fun than anyone I know...:thumb
    bwhip62 likes this.
  20. Chickenstrip

Chickenstrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man, those are some beautiful roads for riding! And no traffic to worry about ... so nice. Thanks for posting!
    bwhip62 likes this.