bwhip's phototastic two-wheeled adventures thread

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by bwhip62, Mar 18, 2015.

1. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Always a treat!
    bwhip62 likes this.
  2. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    You certainly have opened my eyes to some of the best roads in the nation that I was unaware of. The photography is spectacular also.

This part of the nation just was elevated to near the top on my list of places to ride.

Do you save/share your GPS routes?
    bwhip62 likes this.
  3. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Balancing Act

Oddometer:
    He always shows nicely detailed maps and, along with his explanations of the route in his text, I've been able to figure out pretty much exactly where he has traveled. I've written here before that I have replicated several of his routes already and all were superb!

That said...I'd be right in line if Brian were to make GPS routes available directly as that would make it even simpler to go do these rides!

I guess we can only plead, beg and offer to buy micro brews next time we are in Boise if the man (dude?) will abide. :lol3 :bow
    bwhip62 and Fast1 like this.
  4. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    All the routes he has posted in this thread along with the pics have seriously tempted me to move ...

The images of the routes are certainly adequate to replicate a route but it does require some time (and frustration) in Basecamp.
    Uke, bwhip62 and MUDHWY like this.
  5. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve got most of them saved on my computer. I use Tyre software with my TomTom Rider GPS, and I think that software can export to a few different formats. Just PM me with routes you may be interested in, and format that you need, and if I’ve still got them saved, I’m sure happy to help.
    Uke, motocopter, Fast1 and 1 other person like this.
  6. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Balancing Act

Oddometer:
    What is it for Garmin units? GPX I think? PM coming!
    mikegc likes this.
  7. NZRalphy

NZRalphy I'm not half as good as I think I thought I was

Oddometer:
    600 miles with an average of 66 is going some! obviously not many cops!
    bwhip62 likes this.
  8. BMWs2Dave

BMWs2Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed seeing your routes and pictures in Northern California. I live in the Napa valley, and these rides are practically in my backyard.
    I need to get out and ride these areas more often. I most often ride within a couple hours of Napa and north. There is a lot of really nice riding close by.
    Going 2-3 hours father north around Anderson Valley and Boonville offers some really fine riding areas that are just day rides from home for me.
    bwhip62 likes this.
  9. Solo Moto

Solo Moto Hands are bruised from breakin’ rocks all day

Oddometer:
    This entire thread is obviously Photoshopped!

Just kidding. Most awesome photography capturing epic rides! Yes, I will be tracing your tracks this summer! :ricky

As always, thanks for sharing! :beer
    bwhip62 likes this.
  10. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Yes, that's true. And that includes a bunch of slowing and stopping for photos.
  11. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    cgguy09, Solo Moto, Zubb and 5 others like this.
  12. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to do this. Hoping to make use of them this year if things go right.

Any advise on the local law enforcement for riding in OR, WA and ID? I've heard that OR is very strict in terms of speed enforcement without any leeway. At least, that is what I heard on one trip along the Columbia and down the coast a few years back. I was surprised, that when fueling an auto, you had to let the attendant do the work. Is this still the case?

Edit,, I just wanted to let you know that I was successful at downloading all the tracks you provided without issue.

Is there a specific time of the year that you would recommend someone spend a week or two following these illusive routes?
  13. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oregon got over that fueling habit, I'm pretty sure. At least, that's the way it was last summer. I spent three days there and had no problems. Law enforcement? When I travel, I just assume every state is like Virginia.

Mike
  14. ORexpat

ORexpat Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer:
    Yeah, Oregon can be pretty strict on enforcement. They've also been known to stop out of state riders just to check insurance (since Washington doesn't require it :eek7). But there's just not that many State Troopers or County Sheriff's on the east side, particularly away from the major highways (I84, US 26/395). So the chances of getting caught being exuberant are pretty small.

There are however plenty of deer, some elk, lots and lots of cows depending on season and location, and the occasional log truck taking his half of the road on your side. If you can't see around a corner don't depend on it being clear . . . . (No different than it was in Virginia, just fewer LEO's and better sightlines!

:gerg Like some old fart once said "Why ride your motorcycle at any speed where you can't stop in the distance you can see . . ." Those open vistas can be your friend!
    Uke and mikegc like this.
  15. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They do still pump gas for you in Oregon (goofy!), but on bikes they let you do it yourself. They just try to assist you with that terribly complicated credit card swiping process.

From what I've heard, Oregon speeding tickets are VERY expensive. Thankfully, I haven't earned any, er I mean received any [knocking on wood]. Idaho and Washington, yes, Oregon, no. The further you get from the Interstate, and civilization, the fewer vehicles of ANY kind there are, including law enforcement. And yes, deer and other wildlife can definitely be an issue, so exercise proper diligence and caution!
  16. BCBackRoads

BCBackRoads Travels with Gumby

Oddometer:
    I'll add my thanks as well for the tracks. A small group of us are heading for your general area for a week or so this July so I hope to make use of some of these. Again, thanks for sharing.
    bwhip62 likes this.
  17. DLFLHT

DLFLHT I'm a little fuzzy

Oddometer:
    I've done most of those roads, but missed Pilot Rock to Heppner - will do this year!:thumb
    bwhip62 likes this.
  18. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I've mentioned it before, but I should add that most of the routes I've found have come from the wonderful resource we have in http://www.butlermaps.com/motorcycle-maps/. I've got them for all of the states in the region, and they're really outstanding, and have been a great help in my route planning. There are some decent online resources too, but the Butler maps are the best, IMO.
    Uke, Fast1, rainmaker8 and 2 others like this.
  19. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:
    :clap
    bwhip62 likes this.
  20. liv2day

liv2day Is Anyone Here a Marine Biologist! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent pics and write-up @bwhip62! I missed the last update from December and your trek down to CA; that looked fantastic. And seeing all the eastern Oregon pics makes me seriously want to head that way and ride.

Thanks for taking us along man :ricky:ricky
    bwhip62 likes this.