bwhip's phototastic two-wheeled adventures thread

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by bwhip62, Mar 18, 2015.

1. rainmaker8

rainmaker8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    my Multistrada is collecting dust as it continues to snow here in North East... so this thread makes me want to ship it out and ride the west!
    bwhip62 likes this.
  2. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My great friend Zoltan from South Carolina, who had visited last year for the first time, and went on a long motorcycle tour with us, decided to come back out to the Northwest again this summer. Another friend from Montreal, Matthieu, had talked to me about coming out to Boise to do some touring as well, so we invited him out for the same weekend. We also gathered some other local friends who had ridden with us on the previous trip, and are always fun to have around.

Last year we’d intended to do a big loop to the north, including Lolo Pass (Hwy 12 from Idaho to Montana), but there were big forest fires up that way, so we instead did a series of loops in central Oregon, which was quite awesome. This year, however, there were no fires to speak of along the route we’d previously planned – just lots of smoke from other places! So, we decided to go that way, which included some absolute favorites.

[​IMG]

About 1,000 miles in total, over a three-day weekend, starting from my place near Boise, looping over across the Snake River into Oregon, north through Joseph, then on to Rattlesnake Pass up Lewiston, Idaho, and our first night’s destination of Orofino. The next day we’d ride down to Elk City, then back up Hwy 12 toward Missoula, then down to our second night’s destination of Hamilton, MT. On the final day we’d head south back into Idaho, through Salmon, Stanley, and back to the Boise area.

[​IMG]

Day one, along the Snake River on the Oregon side.

[​IMG]

At the Snake River Scenic Lookout.

[​IMG]

Tim, bwhip, Ryan, Zoltan, Matthieu and Terry

[​IMG]

Matthieu, bwhip and Zoltan looking like Power Rangers with Rattlesnake Pass in the background

[​IMG]

Tim and Mat having some fun along Rattlesnake Pass

[​IMG]

The Road to Elk City was a particular favorite for the group

[​IMG]

Lolo Pass is 100 miles of riding bliss along the river

[​IMG]

The Old Spiral Highway in Lewiston

[​IMG]

Near the Montana – Idaho border on Sunday morning

[​IMG]

Almost home – along the Payette River less than an hour from Boise

All in all it was a fantastic trip! Everyone had a blast, despite the smoky conditions most everywhere we went. The roads were so much fun to ride, and it was so much fun to spend time with these great friends. Can’t wait to do it again!
    Uke, bad luck, shuckinator and 8 others like this.
  3. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    @bwhip62 Thanks for posting this thread, I've been following it pretty much since you started it! I tend to ride more off-road, but I've got a couple guys with "Street" oriented bikes so I'm finally gonna do a longer trip on some pavement.

Since I've been tasked with the route execution, I'm pouring over your routes and developing a plan from Seattle to Crater Lake.

When I get home, I'll be checking out your dropbox, hoping the .gpx's are all in there (saving me a bit of time :clap).

Keep riding & keep reporting it!
    bwhip62 and klaviator like this.
  4. oldoval

oldoval Energy Vampire

Oddometer:
    :clap
    Glad to see you posting again, always a treat. Actually went looking for this thread a few days ago afraid I had missed something.

I see a new Tracer 900 GT in that group... cool.

bwhip62 and klaviator like this.
  5. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just a day or two ago I was wondering if something had happened to bwhip since it had been so long since the last update in this thread. Good to see you back out riding. It's always great to to do a ride like this with some friends!
    bwhip62 likes this.
  6. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Been a really busy year, so haven't had as much time to ride and post as in years past - but still sure enjoying when I do! Been having some four-wheeled fun as well this year, so that's definitely curtailed the two-wheeled stuff too. Posts with photos of my two-wheeled fun on the racetrack, and the car fun are over on my blog: https://bwhip62.wordpress.com/

[​IMG]
    Ozark08, mikegc, AC09 and 2 others like this.
  7. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    Howdy @bwhip62 , I think the drop box expired...anyway you could repost those? (If its not too much trouble)
  8. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't remember exactly which routes were in there, but I just uploaded all of the ones I have GPX files for to this link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/puinrcmc41jy2ue/AADC5G5L-MOsxdca4QmhBRk2a?dl=0

Let me know if there is something else you're specifically looking for, and I'll be happy to help.
    MUDHWY likes this.
  9. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a great loop @bwhip62! Where did you guys stay in Orofino? Any chance it was at the motel where you grill your own NY strip? Have great memories from a ride we did many years ago that landed us there one night. One of the best steaks I've had.

I love that part of our state and those roads, as well as what you hit in ID and MT.

Good to see you out still ripping around man :D :nod :ricky:ricky
  10. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks buddy!

I usually stay at the Best Western in Orofino, which is absolutely beautiful and has rooms with balconies overlooking the river. The restaurant there is the best one in town too (though with painfully slow service). This particular trip the BW was filled up for a wedding, so we wound up staying at the Helgeson Place, which was decent and inexpensive. No grilling our own NW strip! Not sure where they feature that.
  11. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had to dig way back and find it - the Konkolville Motel. Granted, it's been ~9 years since we stayed, but I'd highly recommend checking it out the next time you're in that area. Quick pic of grilling our steaks and hanging out in the courtyard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Uke, TheAdmiral and bwhip62 like this.
  12. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Waiting for that day

Oddometer:
    I prefer staying in Kamiah when riding 12 but have many good memories of the Orofino BW too.

Brian, tell me you didn't miss the Greer and Winchester grades?!!
  13. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Didn’t have time for Winchester on this trip, but did it earlier this year and it was so full of dirt and gravel that it kind of took the fun out of it! Pretty early season then, so hopefully better now.
  14. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been on the Winchester grade, but never heard of the Greer. where would that be (in case I ever get back out there)?
  15. MUDHWY

Oddometer:
    7 miles southeast of Orofino right off of 12. Great riding road and worth the detour.

Uke, wmfleet2, bwhip62 and 1 other person like this.
  16. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A different kind of moto adventure last weekend:

Once again I had an absolute blast with myFrench Canadian pals at my all-time favorite track of the ones I've ridden - Mt Tremblant, near Montreal. Such an incredibly beautiful setting. There's no way a track should be here, but thank goodness it is. Of course, since building it back 50 or 60 years ago when it was out in the middle of nowhere, now it is surrounded by ski and golf resorts and spas, and lots of expensive homes. Hence the extremely tough sound restrictions they have there (92 dB).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This beautiful lake is literally right next to the paddock. We regularly swim in it after a warm day of riding.

[​IMG]

The track is exceptionally fun. Great variety, lots of elevation change, high speed sections, along with tight and technical bits. My friend Etienne and I were ripping it up pretty good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course, whenever I saw the photographer I had to pose a bit and try to get the elbow down. Close!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course, the best part is always the fun of hanging out with my friends in the paddock, eating fantastic food and making each other laugh. We even had Chica along, which was great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Because of the tough sound restrictions, I had to borrow someone's stock exhaust canister for my RSV4. It was a different model year, so we had to fab up a little bracket to make it work.

[​IMG]

Still sounded great, just not AS great as with the Arrow slip-on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Such an incredible weekend. So much fun, start to finish. I couldn't be more thankful.

[​IMG]
    Uke, FailureDrill, klaviator and 5 others like this.
  17. Thumperama

Thumperama We are the 'Berg - Resistance is futile

Oddometer:
    Pics not showing up
    bwhip62 likes this.
  18. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Should be fixed now, thanks!
    Thumperama likes this.
  19. MUDHWY

Oddometer:
    More great stuff Brian! (as usual from you.)
    bwhip62 likes this.
  20. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took a nice little 250 mile ride in central Oregon Saturday, using my "street trackday" concept - putting the bike in the pickup, driving two hours to Baker City, OR, unloading, then riding on some incredibly fun roads, then loading up and driving home.

First section was along Hwy 86, super twisty and fun along the river through the desert, then climbing into the hills. I always like this view on this big turn above the little town of Richland.

[​IMG]

Fairly cloudy and cool starting out. Forecast called for possibility of rain later in the day, but I didn't really care. I just wanted to ride.

Radar detector definitely saved my butt along this stretch. Was accidentally WAY over the speed limit at one point, out in the middle of nowhere, when the radar detector lights started to flash a bit. Odd, I thought, it seemed like no one was out there. Still, I decided it'd be wise to slow down, to just over the speed limit. Sure enough, around the next bend, hidden in the bushes, was the Sheriff. Phew!

I climbed the mountain toward Joseph, and stopped at the Snake River Canyon Scenic Overlook. We stopped here on the NW Tour last month, but it was super smoky then. Not today!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I stopped for lunch in Joseph, then headed toward La Grande. As I rode through the little town of Wallowa, which I've ridden through at least 10 times, I saw a street sign I'd never noticed before!

[​IMG]

Haha, don't see that very often (my surname)! Must be the bad part of town.

As I got closer to La Grande, the rain which had been forecast began to fall. And it really came down! Why? Because Oregon! :) Thankfully all my gear is GoreTex, so I stayed pretty dry. I did cut the trip a little short - only riding 250 miles instead of the 325 or so I had planned. But it was still really great, despite the rain. With the days getting cooler and shorter (and rainier, apparently), I recognize that the season is winding down, so it sure was nice to get another decent and very exciting ride in. Very grateful!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Uke, wmfleet2, liv2day and 3 others like this.