bwhip's phototastic two-wheeled adventures thread

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by bwhip62, Mar 18, 2015.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great pics as always:thumb
    I'm less than 2 weeks from retiring:happay At some point I'm going to come out and ride those roads. What time of year would you recommend for the best time to ride that area?
    black 8 likes this.
  2. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congratulations! Spring and fall are beautiful, of course, but sometimes cool and wet. All summer long is great too. It can get quite warm and sometimes smoky from fires, but hopefully we won't have that problem this season! Enjoy!
    klaviator likes this.
  3. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've never been to Idaho, but from what I hear, your summer heat and our summer heat is very different.
    Uke likes this.
  4. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Gemini Man

Oddometer:
    It can be over the century mark but it is rarely ever very humid.
    mikegc likes this.
  5. oldoval

oldoval Energy Vampire

Oddometer:
    Whew, bwhip is out riding and taking pictures again, winter is over!
    bwhip62 likes this.
  6. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Should be some good adventures this season, especially since I just picked up a little hooligan brother for the Multistrada! :smile6

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Uke, Bors, ishmac and 5 others like this.
  7. oldoval

oldoval Energy Vampire

Oddometer:
    Sweet! I set on that bike every time I visit a Ducati dealer. I got to see the 2019 version last week and I really like updates they did.

Traditional super motos are awesome on goldilocks roads but pretty dismal on everything else. I think these megamotos just make so much more sense. I look forward to your future adventures with it.
    bwhip62 likes this.
  8. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Back in '08-'10 I owned a previous-gen Hypermotard, which had the 1100 air-cooled motor. Fun bike, and really fun to customize, but the tank range was really poor. This one is quite a bit different, a lot better as far as I'm concerned, and should have a lot better fuel range. I'm really happy to have this as a fun option for local and regional fun for me and my sons and friends when they come for a visit from out-of-state (or country).
    Uke, mikegc and oldoval like this.
  9. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:

I just took a virtual ride along those via Google Earth. I'm adding them to the roads to ride bucket list.
    MUDHWY and bwhip62 like this.
  10. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cambridge to Brownlee is bitchin ! Lotsa great routes there.. great thread, fun to see..
    bwhip62 likes this.
  11. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great shots @bwhip62, and so cool to have the Hyper added to your stable. Don't get caught doing the horn mono, gonna be tough with that torque...lol.

Awesome to see you out and about again :thumb :thumb
    bwhip62 likes this.
  12. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This afternoon I installed a radiator guard and oil cooler guard, and decided to go take a little run up the hill before the storm blew in (which it sure did!). By hill I mean "Bogus Basin Road" - the road which leads from north Boise a few thousand feet up to the local ski resort. The base of the road is only about 10 miles from my place, so it's pretty easy to get to. I figured it'd be a really fun place to ride the Hyper, and that there might be a chance to take some nice photos with a view, with some dramatic clouds.

Well, the clouds came in quickly, and it got kind of chilly. Still, the riding part was AWESOME. There just couldn't be a better bike for this incredibly twisty road than this Hyper. No chance. It's unbelievable. So flickable! So grippy, so powerful, so much thrust out of the corners. So damn much fun!

Brakes on this bike are fantastic. The rear brake is unlike any Ducati I've ever ridden (meaning it actually works). Super easy to lock up the rear, which can be a lot of fun.

For years I've said that the SXV550 was the most pure fun bike, pound-for-pound that I've ever ridden. Not most favorite (the Tuono factory takes that prize), but most pure giggle-inducing fun. I think I'm ready to pull the crown from the SXV and bestow it on this bike. SO SICK!! I just love this little beast. [​IMG]

I did manage to snap a few photos up there before zipping home to beat the rain (just made it). On a couple you can see downtown Boise in the distance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Uke, oldoval, pwh and 9 others like this.
  13. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This afternoon I had a chance to take a more extended ride on the new little toy. We sure feel fortunate here to have such great riding opportunities so close by, and some beautiful scenery too! I rode from home near Boise north along the Payette River to Banks, then headed east to Lowman, and then climbed the hill before heading back. Total of about 150 miles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bike was remarkably comfortable for that duration, though I did stop a fair bit for photos. How could I not, with views like these?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The riding part was incredible too. I can't imagine a more fun and capable bike for tight twisties. It's unreal how flickable this thing is. So darn much fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Such a beautiful time of year for riding. It's sure nice to see everything greening up, and the snow melting. Looking forward to many more miles of fun on the Hyper!
    oldoval, richarddacat, pwh and 10 others like this.
  14. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    As usual, great photos! I'm heading that way in about seven weeks but your photos make me want to pack up now!

Mike
    Uke, bwhip62 and klaviator like this.
  15. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in awe of your back yard. On my riding bucket list for sure.
    bwhip62 and klaviator like this.
  16. Project Mayhem

Project Mayhem Moto Aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had an ‘08 SXV550 for a while...and it was a lot of fun for sure. It was however uncomfortable, had no range (which wasn’t an issue given the seat pain), and required an ungodly amount of maintenance.
    But for a light lil’ hooligan bike it sure was a blast!
    bwhip62 likes this.
  17. NumberCruncher

NumberCruncher Long timer

Oddometer:
    939 Hyper SP and the Idaho backroads. You sir have great taste.

Do you have a dealer nearby or do you go to Portland? I see a guy at ducati.ms who rides a Multistrada around Idaho and has posted some great trip reports from Nor-Cal? Maybe one of you is him kind of like a Batman Bruce Wayne sort of thing.

I hope to make it to Payette/McCall soon and there is a remote chance I'll be on a Multistrada 950.

NC

18. ishmac

ishmac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wOOw -- simple loving your ride reports and sublime photography, your country looks absolutely stunning with amazing places to ride both your motorcycles..!! I'm jealous..... What about fuel stations whilst your out and about (??), are they hard to find or do you bring extra fuel on the Ducati etc...?

Ride safe......it does your heart good reading and viewing your images, thank you..!

Regards;
    Peter
    Scotland
  19. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much! There used to be a Ducati dealer here, but they dropped the line about 10 years ago. Now the closest ones are Portland (7 hours) or Salt Lake City (5 hours). I take care of most of the basic service myself, and there is a small independent shop here that can do various other maintenance and repairs as well. I think the guy you're referring to on ducati.ms is me. I'm bwhip on there and bwhip62 here.
  20. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much, Peter! We are really fortunate to be in this area for sure. Fuel is usually not a problem, but I definitely have to plan for it on some of my more remote trips. Because I tend to ride pretty aggressively, my mileage isn't very good on any of my bikes. I've run out a couple of times, but thankfully on those occasions had friends along that were able to bail me out. When I'm planning my routes I definitely like to know that I can get fuel every 140 miles or so.
    Uke likes this.