bwhip's phototastic two-wheeled adventures thread

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by bwhip62, Mar 18, 2015.

1. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Gemini Man

Oddometer:
    Curious then Brian...SLC or PDX for this purchase and why? Is one of those dealers better than the other? We have a dealer here in Spokane but not very well liked/trusted.
  2. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Hyper was a used one I found locally (surprisingly!) on Craigslist, with just 1700 miles on it. I bought both of my Multistradas (one in 2010, one in 2016) from MotoCorsa in Portland, mostly because I have a great relationship with their (now former) General Manager, Arun, who made me a great deal on both. I did buy my Tuono from Harrison Motorsports in SLC, who is also the Ducati dealer (and no longer an Aprilia dealer). The experience there was very good, I just haven't dealt with them as much. When I shopped for the Multi back in '16, I gave several different dealerships a shot at the sale, but MotoCorsa came through with the best overall package for me. The seller of the Hyper bought it at Harrison in SLC also, and said they weren't happy with them (though I didn't get details as to why). I haven't had the opportunity to deal with the Spokane shop.
  3. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Gemini Man

Oddometer:
    Got it...thnx!
  4. glasshousebc

glasshousebc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some absolutely brilliant photos in this RR... read it over the last 2 days... superb photos.

Cheers matey.
    Fast1 likes this.
  5. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, thanks so much! :beer
    glasshousebc likes this.
  6. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Managed to take a little ride over to the Oregon coast over the weekend. Had originally hoped to do four days of riding, but had to shorten it to three due to a work issue. A good work issue - after many weeks of very intense effort and negotiations, we landed a huge project with a favorite client. However, it starts in just a couple of weeks, so I had to get back to get the ball rolling on it!

Anyway, still managed to get about 850 miles of fantastic riding in, on many of my favorite roads (and a few new gems). Because I knew I'd be riding mostly roads I'd already ridden (or driven last year in the M2), I left the big camera at home and just brought along the little pocket cam and iPhone. Of course, I still had to stop at several places along the way to shoot some photos. It's just too spectacular not to. Not quite as scenic along the coast as it can be - it was in the high 40's and foggy on Saturday morning when I was there, but just a few miles inland there were bright blue skies and highs in the 80's all weekend.

As always, the riding over there was just fantastic. I simply can't believe the abundance of amazing riding/driving roads there. What a gift.

Nice sunset when I arrived at the hotel in Bandon, OR on Friday night.

[​IMG]

Cold and foggy Saturday AM

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Damn traffic

[​IMG]

Even when it's gray, it's always fun to ride along the Pacific

[​IMG]

Bridge across the river at Gold Beach

[​IMG]

Riding up the river, a really fun road

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hundreds of miles of fun curves

[​IMG]

Tyee Road is a great one I always enjoy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Siuslaw River Road is my favorite road in Oregon. And that's saying a lot, as I have so many. But this one. Unreal.

[​IMG]

Most of it is through tunnels of dense forest, but in this section it opens up to the sky a bit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oregon roads make me very happy. This was Sunday morning on the way home.

[​IMG]

As always, the Multistrada was the perfect mount for the job. Comfortable, fast, and fun. I can't get enough of the sound of that big twin bellowing out its throaty note when accelerating out of a turn, or up a big hill. And the burbles and pops on decel when braking are icing on the cake. Awesome bike.

Very grateful for another amazing ride in such a magnificent place!
    Uke, klaviator, gulfcoaster and 8 others like this.
  7. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Gemini Man

Oddometer:
    Bwhip... Living the dream once again. :clap
    bwhip62 likes this.
  8. NumberCruncher

NumberCruncher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love your pics and share your passion for Ducati's. My 2016 821 Stripe is up for sale as arthritis is making the hunched over riding position too uncomfortable. I'll replace it with a Multistrada 950 and hope to get the touring benefits of the 1200 but "racier" engine of the Hyper 939 as they share the same engine. I say racier because it has less power/torque which means I get to use more power more easily and "have" to work the bike harder to go fast.

Thanks for the inspiration. I'll make several of these routes this summer.

NC
    bwhip62 likes this.
  9. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My goal each season is to enjoy one weekend per month on some sort of touring ride or drive. We live in such a beautiful part of the world, and the season seems to come and go so quickly, so I sure try to make it happen when I can squeeze it in.

This past weekend was my opportunity for June. I planned a fairly ambitious route for three days, which would make a nice loop from my home near Boise up into northern Idaho, then loop around briefly into eastern Washington and Oregon, before crossing the border (and the Snake River) back into southwest Idaho. The route wound up looking something like this:

[​IMG]

We've had quite a bit of thunderstorm activity lately, but the forecast looked quite warm and sunny. Early Friday morning I hopped on the Multistrada and headed north on Highway 55. It's always a beautiful ride along the Payette River, and this time was no exception.

[​IMG]

Had to stop for a photo at "Rainbow Bridge" near Smiths Ferry.

[​IMG]

I continued north through McCall and Riggins. The weather was pretty perfect, and it was so nice to see everything so green. Just north of Riggins I stopped for a photo along the Salmon River.

[​IMG]

I was having a great ride, and of course I was especially eager to get to my favorite road to ride in Idaho - Hwy 14 between Grangeville and Elk City. As I descended the hill from Grangeville, I loved seeing this view of my favorite road in the valley below:

[​IMG]

As usual, the road was an absolute blast to rip on the big Ducati. The flow is so perfect. It's about 50 miles out, and 50 back, and the whole ride is just fantastic curves along the river, with gorgeous Idaho mountain scenery all around, and almost no other people. Fantastic.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Didn't stop for too many photos, I was having too much fun riding! Definitely gave the tires a nice workout.

I stopped for lunch in Kooskia, then headed north to Orofino, where I'd spend Friday night at one of my favorite places to stay on riding trips in this part of the country. On the way I took a little detour to check out a road that I'd heard about, that I hadn't yet had an opportunity to try - Hwy 11 between Greer and Weippe, just east of Orofino.

WOW! What a cool road. Super steep ascent up a very twisty and fun road, including some first-gear hairpins. I was hoping there would be some amazing view of the river canyon below, but there were too many trees in the way. Didn't make the riding any less fun, however. I did manage to grab a photo near the top, which gives a little sense of how twisty the road is. You can kind of see the canyon down to the river in the distance.

[​IMG]

I really like the Best Western in Orofino. It sits right on the Clearwater River, it's pretty new and clean, and they're always very friendly. Here's the unbeatable view from my room. So nice!

[​IMG]

Biker-friendly as can be. In fact, when I was checking in, they asked me how my ride was, and said, "We have a bike washing station around the side of the building if you'd like to use it. There's a hose, bucket and soap, and we'll give you fresh towels to use too." How cool is that? I've never had that offered before. Of course, being a Ducati rider who likes to keep his bike really clean, I was very happy to take them up on the offer!

[​IMG]

When I was leaving Saturday morning, I found that they'd left a couple of water bottles by my bike, to make sure I was well hydrated on my trip. Very thoughtful!

[​IMG]

There was another new-to-me road nearby that I wanted to check out. Old Highway 7 ascends the hill out of the river canyon to the west of Orofino. Another big WOW for this one! I can't believe I haven't ever ridden this one before, in the four or five times I've ridden up this way over the years. I won't ever miss the opportunity again.

[​IMG]

Not only was the riding incredibly fun on this super-twisty gem, but the views became more and more breathtaking the higher I climbed. Amazing. So great. As is often the case, the camera can't do them justice - but I sure tried!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Like I said, I won't miss the chance to ride this one again. It was fantastic all the way from Orofino up to Kendrick.

At Kendrick I turned north on Hwy 3, and was treated to another beautiful view in the bright morning sunlight, as I prepared to climb the hill:

[​IMG]

Near Deary, I looked out ahead and saw a swath of color that seemed surreal. I figured maybe it was some kind of mirage. As I got closer, I saw that it actually was just that colorful - some sort of superbloom of wildflowers. Really pretty.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I stopped in Bovill for fuel, and then made a little mistake with my navigation. The sign said go left to get to St. Maries, but I thought I knew better and went right instead, thinking it was the more curvy and fun way to get there. Oops. About 20 miles later when I got to the tiny little town of Elk River I realized I'd screwed up, and that I'd have to double back. Oh well, it was a beautiful morning and a fun road. Still, I knew I was planning to ride over 400 miles on Saturday anyway, so I really didn't need to add even more to the trip, no matter how pleasant!

One of the big highlights I'd planned for Saturday was a road I'd only ridden once before, all the way back in 2011. It was the St. Joe River Road, which runs along the river east of St. Maries, about 60 miles out, then 60 miles back. Very similar to the road to Elk City, it's another super fun and scenic ride, which gets more twisty and remote the further east you go.

Early on, I was captivated by the pure reflections in the still water. When I came back later, a breeze had come up and the reflections were gone, so I was really glad I'd stopped for photos on the way out!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Way up the river, I came upon this incredible scenery, and of course had to stop for some pics:

[​IMG]

With my iPhone in pano mode, you can see my bike in relation to the view below:

[​IMG]

Such a great road. Once again the Multi was the ultimate steed for hammering this fantastic stretch of tarmac. The sound of that bellowing twin roaring through the canyons, feeling the enormous grunt 1200cc of Italian power, as the Pirellis gripped the asphalt around every corner, was magnificent. Thankfully, the fact that I'm always looking for photo opportunities helps keep my speed in check a tiny bit. A tiny bit.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hopefully I won't let another eight years pass before riding this amazing road again!

Next I ventured a little further north to ride the really fun road along the eastern edge of the lake at Coeur d'Alene (Hwy 97). It was starting to look a little thunderstormy, so I mostly just rode and shot some video on the GoPro. Another brilliant, fun and scenic road. Not quite as empty as the others I'd been riding, but certainly not crowded.

[​IMG]

I got rained on a fair bit as I headed back to the south to Lewiston, my destination for Saturday night. Nothing horrible, but enough to make my bike all filthy. As I got closer, I knew I'd have to stop at the top of one of my favorites - the Old Spiral Highway above Lewiston. The road was still a bit wet from the passing storm, so I couldn't ride it quite as aggressively as normal, but it still was fun.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

On Sunday morning I woke up early (5 AM local) and watched the MotoGP race from Mugello in Italy, which was well worth getting up early for! What a race. Of course, that made me want to go ride even more, and to hit all my apexes like the pros do on the track. I'd have some great opportunities to do so on the way home, as I'd ride along Rattlesnake Pass, which is always completely brilliant.

It was bright, sunny and a little hazy, and I've taken a million photos there in the past, so mostly I just rode (fast!) and shot video on this ride through the canyon. I did decide to test out a new-to-me road I'd heard good things about, down in the bottom of the canyon. This was Grande Ronde Road, along the river on the way to Troy. It was pretty good, a little bumpy, but fun and scenic. I shot this photo along that stretch:

[​IMG]

I climbed the amazing route up the hill to the Oregon side, and stopped at the top for some photos of Rattlesnake Pass, one of the very best stretches of road anywhere:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Decided to get a selfie while there, too.

[​IMG]

I continued south to Joseph, Oregon, where I stopped for brunch at a little cafe I really like there. The views heading into or out of town there are incredible this time of year, with the spectacular snow-capped peaks as a backdrop.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Time to head home. Southeast on an old favorite - Wallowa Mountain Road back over the mountain through the forest, very tight, twisty and remote, back down into Hells Canyon. Always beautiful and fun - just watch out for potholes!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Made it home late Sunday afternoon, feeling so grateful for all 1154 miles. Just a fantastic trip from start to finish. A beautiful time of year, great weather, tons of fun on an incredible machine. Can't wait for next time!

[​IMG]
    Zubb, motocopter, klaviator and 6 others like this.
  10. oldoval

oldoval Energy Vampire

Oddometer:
    Fantastic as usual! Nice to hear how bike friendly that Best Western was, little things like they did go a long way with me. I'll be sure to support then next time I come through there.

cgguy09 and bwhip62 like this.
  11. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great photos, as usual. I'm glad you mentioned the Best Western in Orofino 'cause that's where I booked for an upcoming trip. Should be there on the 28th if all goes well. I'll be staying in Joseph a little later in my month-long trip. Your pics make me want to leave North Carolina in about an hour!:D

Mike
    Uke, Fireman1000 and bwhip62 like this.
  12. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought it might be kind of fun to shoot a little video at various points along my most recent route. The photos tell a little bit of the story, but video might be interesting also to give a feel for the riding part. As I get some time in the next couple of weeks, I'll process and upload little samplers to hopefully whet your appetite about coming out this way for a visit [​IMG] . I didn't have much time to fiddle with camera mount locations or audio, so it was just shot through the windshield, but hopefully it will still give you a good idea.

This first one is along my favorite road in Idaho - Hwy 14 out to Elk City. This is a little over two typical minutes of the route. Imagine this for sixty miles in each direction. It's unreal. There's almost never anyone out there. I might pass three or four vehicles along the entire route. Speed limits are posted as 35 and 45 along the way. You can't really tell from the video, especially since twins always sound slower anyway, but my average speed along the route may have been slightly higher :ricky.

You need to come ride it!

Uke, Thumperama and klaviator like this.
  13. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="bwhip62, post: 37740251

You need to come ride it!

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I do!!

Great soundtrack too:thumb
    bwhip62 likes this.
  14. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Gemini Man

Oddometer:
    A trip up to CDA and a stay at Gozzer Ranch (spitting distance from our place) and you didn't stop to say HI? :(

:D

We regularly run the East side of the lake and the Avery route (but usually go right over the saddle at the end of the pavement on the well groomed dirt to St. Regis, MT and beyond...Thompson Pass.) Matter of fact three of us (R1200GS, Triumph Tiger 1050 and VFR1200X) were just out there last weekend.

Looks like you had a great trip.
  15. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was a great trip, sorry I didn’t get a chance to meet up!

I did the dirt road to St Regis back in 2011, the last time I rode out that way. However, I found that it had the horrible side effect of getting my bike all dirty. :yikes Can’t have that. :lol3
    Uke and Solo Moto like this.
  16. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Gemini Man

Oddometer:
    One nice section you seemed to miss is the Winchester Grade. Another short but sweet serpentine steep ascent road out of the river valley up to the higher plateaus. Make sure you add it in the next time you are down in the Clearwater Valley area!

Untitled-1.jpg
    Zubb and mikegc like this.
  17. MOTOPA

MOTOPA n00b

Oddometer:
  18. MOTOPA

MOTOPA n00b

Oddometer:
    bwhip what seat bag is that.
  19. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    Dang it Bwhip. I really enjoy seeing your reports and pics as I spent half my life in Idaho. Boise, Twin Falls, Lewiston. Can't even count the days I've spent in that whole Grangeville to Spokane circle of amazing roads and country. You even found my secret spots around Orofino.

Thanks for sharing brother. If you ever need a guide around San Diego county hit me up. I'll buy the first beer.
  20. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Didn't have time on this particular trip, but I've ridden that road a couple of times in the past - I posted about it a while back: https://advrider.com/f/threads/bwhi...dventures-thread.1050905/page-7#post-30539430. It's awesome, when it's not super dirty!
    MUDHWY likes this.