bwhip's phototastic two-wheeled adventures thread

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by bwhip62, Mar 18, 2015.

1. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a TourMaster Cortech tail bag I've had forever. It's been so perfect on various bikes. Unfortunately, they don't make that particular one anymore. It's been updated to a different shape, though I'm sure it's still really good. You might be able to find a used one like this one: https://www.ebay.com/i/123771461723?chn=ps
  2. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks buddy! I was down your way a few weeks back, though not riding. Our daughter lives in SD. We moved up to Idaho from there back in '93.
    Zubb likes this.
  3. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:

I have that same bag on my VFR...great bag
    bwhip62 likes this.
  4. MOTOPA

MOTOPA n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks bwhip62 looking now.
    bwhip62 likes this.
  5. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between a couple of recent touring rides on the Multistrada, and head-over-heels infatuation with the new Hyper toy, I must admit that lately I’ve been neglecting the bike I’ve often said is my all-time favorite.

Last night I decided to take a little ride up the nearby mountain above Boise, just 20 minutes or so from our place.

Took less than a few blocks for me to get the biggest grin on my face, which is still there this morning. Good Lord, what a bike! The power is ludicrously outrageous, the sound is a symphony of harmonious rage, the gearbox must surely be bathed in melted butter (or olive oil?), and it’s the most comfortable superbike ever. Pretty damn sexy too, to my eye.

Every minute of the ride was a joy. I know that in the last three or four years Aprilia have made a number of improvements and enhancements to the Tuono, but I really found myself incredulous, wondering how that would even be possible. I wish everyone could have something in their life that makes me feel like I do when I ride this bike. I don’t know what else to say.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I feel for you. It must be real tough deciding which bike to take every time you go for a ride!:D

I understand how you feel. There have been times when I was out on one of my bikes on a perfect set of curves, in the groove and feeling like I have absolute control of my bike and wondering how people who don't ride can even make it through life. I recently had one of those moments when I was riding miles of non stop curves, perfect weather and no traffic. My thought was "It just doesn't get any better than this!"

I think the thing that attracts me to this thread is that you do such a great job capturing that feeling. You pics show your bike, great curves and and fantastic scenery. Those are the ingredients for a perfect day. I can imagine myself riding those roads and look forward to the day I can actually do it.
  7. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    ... how about "For Sale to a good home in San Diego"?
    bwhip62 likes this.
  8. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much! So glad to know that there are others who have enjoyed those same amazing feelings. Quite frequently I ask myself when I'm on a ride, why I keep stopping to take photos, or keep writing blog posts. Why not just go ride without feeling a need to document it? Of course, sometimes I do just that. However, when I'm in scenery like that, having experiences that are still like a dream to me, I just have to capture them. Both because I like to share them with others who share my same passion, and because I so cherish the experiences that I just want to hold on to each one and remember it.
    Fast1, staticPort and Zubb like this.
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I do the same. You, as well as a few others on this forum inspired me to really work on my photography. I think it has really improved in the last year or so. @black 8 has come up with a great term for what we do: "Motography".

While there are a lot of great photographers out there, I particularly like the ones like you who capture the essence of what makes riding so much fun. That would be the Bike, the road (especially the curves) and the scenery. Another of my favorite Motographers is @dave6253. He once posted something to the effect of: Many people who do ride reports are actually doing "stop reports." In other words they do a lot of riding but their pictures are of the places they stop, not of the ride itself. While a lot of that stuff is pretty cool, it's not what riding is really about for me. When riding with a group my ride reports often end up being more "stop reports" than ride reports. When riding by myself it's much easier to stop and capture that great curve or view. I want to get pictures that show what a fun ride it was, not just the cool places I stopped.

You summed up exactly why I take pictures and do ride reports:

"Both because I like to share them with others who share my same passion, and because I so cherish the experiences that I just want to hold on to each one and remember it."

Anyway, keep on posting and I'll keep on following along.
  10. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Some folks geek out on super fine lenses and camera's, and produce very high quality boring shots.
    I like to embrace the limitations of the iPhone and try to 'focus' on composition. Finding a pic that holds interest and tells the story. And then posting the pics and story here . . . . I get to relive the trip again, in detail. I don't do it often, but really enjoy the process.
    Bwhip, you have a GREAT eye for composition and do a fantastic job of capturing what we all go riding for.
  11. ADK

ADK .........................

Oddometer:
    Klav, have you ever thought about filming your rides? :ear
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Someday I'll break down and get a Go Pro or other video camera.........but don't hold your breath, it may be a while....I'm a procrastinator.
  13. ADK

ADK .........................

Oddometer:
    I still haven't made up my mind if I am one too or not. :jkam
  14. anojones

anojones n00b

Oddometer:
    I love this thread, I have done a couple or rides based on your previous ones in Eastern Oregon. I'd love to try to get in a ride through Lewiston, down to Grangeville and McCall and will ride that Elk City run for sure! At some point I'll post some of the day trips I've done that have been inspired by this thread and your blog. However, my photography is just snapshots. Heading south through Joeseph, Oregon to Wallowa Lake for a day trip today.
    mikegc, bwhip62 and Zubb like this.
  15. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m honored, thanks!
  16. Duanob

Duanob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've always enjoyed your trip reports too. I plan on moving to Spokane later this year and the one thing I am really looking forward to is awesome day trips around the area. Uncrowded two lane roads everywhere just a minute from the house. There is nothing like that even close to my house where I live now. Here it's nothing but traffic jams or I feel like I might get run over by some self-important yuppie on his cell phone, which has almost happened too many times.

Yep, i can't wait! Day trips around Lake Coeur D'Alene or even Montana. Weekends to central Idaho or Eastern BC or the Boise area.
  17. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As we do every year in late June, a bunch of fellow motorcycle addicts and I took over Grattan Raceway in Michigan for a few days, to enjoy the best trackday event I can imagine. It’s a group that knows each other from the motorcycleaddicts.org website, and related Facebook page. The event has been going on for 15 years or so, and is now named in honor of its founder (who sadly passed away a few years ago) – Frank Fisher Days at Grattan.

I’ve been to the event almost every year since 2006. It’s a three-day private event, with 50 or 60 riders of various skill levels, most all of whom know each other. We have an absolute blast, riding fast, swapping bikes, having a big barbecue, fireworks, an awards dinner, and lots more. It’s so great!

I used to drive the 30 hours each way, but thanks to my incredible friend Etienne, who stores my track bike at his place in Quebec, and brings it to various events for me, I can fly in and ride, then fly home. I’m unbelievably fortunate to be able to do this. What a gift.

[​IMG]

Since Frank died, Etienne has stepped up to continue to organize the event for all of us every year, and he does an incredible job.

This was my first trip to any track since last October, so I expected to be a little rusty. Monday’s weather was a bit wet starting out, but by late morning the track was drying out, and we set out to shake off some of the rust. My bike had a new paint job over the winter, and it looked even better than before! It was great to be reunited with the incredible Aprilia, which I’ve loved since day one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The track was bumpy and a little slick, but it’s always fun, with a great variety of corners, elevation changes, and a long straightaway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Friday evening I posted a picture of the “high score” top speed my speedometer tracked through the day, and said I thought that was fast enough for day one. And it was!

[​IMG]

We had a great barbecue and fireworks on Monday night, and the forecast for Tuesday and Wednesday was for sunshine, which turned out to be very accurate.

We were super fortunate to have my friend Terry Zorich there to take photos of us out on the track. He always does an absolutely incredible job! Here are a few more examples, including some shots where Etienne and I were “posing” a bit in turn one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bike was flawless all three days, and I had an absolute blast. I couldn’t be more grateful to Etienne and all of my other great friends who were at the event. We had so much fun, both on the track and off, and I can’t wait for next year.

I ran a GoPro on my bike in many of the sessions, in a variety of positions. I spliced together a video of a couple of laps, which nicely capture the fun on the track. I hope you enjoy seeing it:

mikegc, Fast1, manx16 and 4 others like this.
  18. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Making Idaho proud, one turn at a time.

Great little vid. Cheers!
    mikegc and bwhip62 like this.
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    One of the great thing about motorcycling for me is all the great people I have met and friends I have made. With friends like Etienne I'm sure you feel the same way.

The track day looked like fun but I'm wondering about all those tar snakes on the track. Could you feel them? They would make me nervous.
  20. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great point about the motorcycling friendships. Just amazing.

The tar snakes weren't a problem, but the big patch areas can certainly be greasy, especially when even a little bit wet.
    mikegc and klaviator like this.