bwhip's phototastic two-wheeled adventures thread

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by bwhip62, Mar 18, 2015.

1. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This past weekend (well, long weekend) was an annual Northwest Tour get-together for me and four of my local riding buddies, along with some great friends of mine from South Carolina and Montreal. The out-of-area visitors would use my bikes and my car (BMW M2) on some of my favorite roads, over three days. We rented an Airbnb house in Hood River, Oregon as our "base camp," and I mapped out three diverse and fun rides. We had another guy from Alabama, our friend James (who goes by Seamus) who was due to come along, but had to cancel at the last minute due to a school commitment.

We decided we'd bring Seamus along in spirit. :)

[​IMG]
    On Thursday once my friends arrived at the airport, we loaded up bikes and a fun car to drive over to Hood River from Boise - off we go!

[​IMG]

The crew - Zoltan, Mathieu, Tom, Terry, Tim, Tommy, and bwhip. Dinner in Hood River on Thursday night.

[​IMG]

Seamus approved of the Airbnb place we rented

[​IMG]
    Friday's route - the longest of the trip, over to the beach!

[​IMG]

On the way there we took the Old Columbia River Highway, which passes some gorgeous (see what I did there?) waterfalls. This one is Multnomah.

[​IMG]
    Lovely morning view of the Columbia River Gorge. Well, the view of the gorge is nice. Those ugly dudes? Not so much.

[​IMG]

Seamus looked like he was starving, so we stopped for lunch in Rockaway Beach

[​IMG]

He looked happy after lunch, and seemed to really enjoy the ocean view

[​IMG]

A little further south, we got a lovely view from Cape Lookout

[​IMG]
    We got back kind of late after slogging through traffic, so it was a good night for homemade pizza from bwhip's pizza oven

[​IMG]

Saturday we crossed the bridge over the river to Washington, and headed toward Mt. St. Helens. The twisty road north of Carson was one of everyone's favorites. Tim said he felt like he needed a cigarette after that sort of ecstasy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The views up near the volcano were unbelievable. We had sunshine, drizzle, dense fog, a little bit of everything along the way. Not to mention massive dips, crevasses and bumps due to all the seismic activity.

[​IMG]
    Spirit Lake was pretty crazy - covered with dead trees from the eruption all the way back in 1980!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We stopped in Cougar for lunch

[​IMG]
    Next we rode the single most insanely potholed road I've ever experienced (and hope never to do so again). It was nuts. I thought for sure one of us would trash a wheel or two. But we survived what seemed like walking in a minefield for many miles. Stressful, especially for the guy leading the way (me). Glad I didn't bring the M2 along this day.

The good news was that we were rewarded with a spectacular view of Mt. Rainier once we got to the smoother part.

[​IMG]
    When we got back to the Gorge we snapped a pic of the view from the Washington side. No Tommy or Tim, both of whom got swallowed up by potholes.

Not really - we stopped for fuel and they decided to just head home since they didn't need any.

[​IMG]
    Sunday, our final day, we headed southeast for a central Oregon tour. Basically a 300 mile private track in the middle of nowhere. I don't want to say what our average speed was. I'll just let you imagine based on the photos. Then add about 30 MPH.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We stopped in Spray (yes, Spray) for lunch at your basic general store/gas station/cafe. The waitress apparently thought Mathieu really liked French Fries. Maybe the accent (French Canadian)? I'm surprised he didn't ask for cheese curds and gravy.

[​IMG]

Home stretch took us back through Condon and The Dalles, where we loaded up and headed back to Idaho.

[​IMG]
    Mathieu said of Sunday, that in over 20+ years of riding, it was the single best day on a motorcycle he's ever had. When we stopped at the location in the pic immediately above, after 100 miles or so of just flying, Tim took off his helmet and laughed. And laughed, and wouldn't stop laughing. He said he'd never held the throttle open on his VFR for such an extended amount of time. Unreal.

All in all, another absolutely incredible trip with a super fun group of addicts! Yet another reminder of why we love motorcycles, good friends, and amazing places to enjoy both.

Zubb, manx16, klaviator and 5 others like this.
  2. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    I saw your Tuano at the Tail of the Dragon a couple weeks ago. Had to go over and see if it was actually you. Nope, no Idaho plates.
    klaviator, bwhip62 and mikegc like this.
  3. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The weather was beautiful on Saturday, and I thought it would be fun to go for a ride. I decided to load up the bike in the truck and do one of my “street track days” over in central Oregon. I drove over to Baker City early in the morning, and unloaded the bike at my usual spot.

I decided to do a route that would be around 380 miles through some familiar favorites. A variety of terrain through dense and remote forest, desert plains, and along rivers. Lots of amazing variety, and hundreds and hundreds of really fun corners.

[​IMG]

Because I’ve ridden these roads many times, I didn’t think I’d be taking many photos. I’d have to see something really special, otherwise it was just going to be about riding this time. I rode west on Hwy 7 toward Austin, and it was just a beautiful, cool morning.

I turned west on Middle Fork Road, and enjoyed all the twists and turns along that remote route. No rush here – I’ve seen too many cows wandering around this road over the years! Surprisingly, I didn’t see any this time (though I did later between Ukiah and Sumpter).

After a quick stop for fuel in Long Creek, I headed over the hill to Kimberly, and then north to one of my all-time favorites – Hwy 207 between Spray and Heppner. It doesn’t get better than this! Such a fun road to hammer. I definitely was giving the Michelins a workout here. And they were gripping extremely well. Very impressed with the new Pilot Road 5’s so far.

[​IMG]

As usual, almost nobody out there. Such a dream for a motorcyclist.

I stopped for fuel and a snack in Heppner, then headed toward Pilot Rock and Ukiah. Another exceptional stretch of road. Incredible. Look at this.

[​IMG]

As I climbed the hill from Ukiah up into the dense forest along the way to Sumpter, I enjoyed the beautiful view. So nice to not have smoke from forest fires as we’ve had so often in previous seasons.

[​IMG]

As I mentioned, I was working my tires pretty hard all day. The big red beast is such an impressive bike. It does everything so well, so fast, so comfortable. Amazing machine. You can see from the photo below the softer compound on the edges of the tires. I’m thankful they gripped so well, all day long!

[​IMG]

I got back to Baker City around 4 PM, and loaded up and headed east for the two hour drive home. Such a fantastic day. I can see the days getting shorter, so I know the season won’t be around forever, and how long winter can be! So, I’m particularly grateful for days like these, and the opportunity to ride such a fantastic machine on such beautiful and spectacular roads.

[​IMG]
    motocopter, Zubb, shuckinator and 5 others like this.
  4. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Wow, have never seen such a clear line between the softer and harder rubber compounds. Nice shot, and thanks for posting up your day ride!
    bwhip62 likes this.
  5. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My original plan (with fingers crossed) was to make one more trip over to the Oregon coast for a ride – drive 8 hours to Eugene on Friday after work, then ride three different awesome loops on Sat/Sun/Mon, and drive back Monday night. Forecast showed overcast on Saturday, with a few showers on Sun/Mon. It is Oregon, after all. I could handle a few showers. I know that as we get later in the season, it’s not likely to get warmer and drier.

Early Saturday as I rode toward the ocean, it was quite drizzly and cool, and it didn’t take long for me to figure out that the Michelin Pilot Road 5’s that have impressed me so much when dry, were really sketchy with much lean angle in the wet. Forecast for the next couple of days got worse as the day went along, so I decided to ride some extra miles on Saturday, and drive home Sunday instead. Long way to go for one day of riding, but it wound up being a pretty awesome 400+ miles, with about 75% of it dry.

[​IMG]

I absolutely love riding in this part of the state. It includes my very favorite road in all of Oregon (and that’s saying a lot!) – the Siuslaw River Road. Unbelievably fun, even when I have to ride it at 65 instead of 85 [​IMG] .

It was so gray and wet early that I didn’t think I’d wind up taking any photos today at all – but you know me…

First stop was to take a shot of the bridge in Florence:

[​IMG]

Next I rode south along the coast, turning inland near Coos Bay and Coquille, finding some really cool new twisty bits along the way.

Upper Smith River Road is pretty incredible:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I spent a fair bit of time on my favorite – Siuslaw River Road. This is one of the few roads I enjoy riding multiple times on the same day! It’s that good, and empty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little wet here and there, but still a fantastic day. I think I’ll save the Michelin PR5’s for summer use, and switch back to Pirelli Angel GTs for touring trips where I could encounter wet conditions. As usual, I’m enjoying the temperatures cooling down a bit, but not enjoying shorter daylight and knowing that the end of the season is getting closer! Oh well, same thing every year, and this sure continues to be a great one. Very grateful!
    Zubb, Hovieone, motocopter and 4 others like this.
  6. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bwhip62, I've been reading your ride reports and enjoying your photography for some time. Actually, I marked several of your favorite roads in BaseCamp and in June & July, rode out there and enjoyed some of them, especially Siuslaw River Road. Within a mile or two of the intersection of the river road and Rt.126, the bottom dropped out and hosed me down all the way up to the evening's destination, Newport. Like you said, "It's Oregon."

Hey, thanks for your reports and being so free with your information. I'm sure others use your reports to "connect the dots," too.

Mike
  7. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're very welcome! So glad the reports and info have been helpful, and that you had fun over there. :)
    mikegc likes this.
  8. TSPKTM

TSPKTM Ride 'em Cowboy

Oddometer:
    I am constantly amazed by the writing and photography talent displayed by the members of this forum. You are definitely one of those individuals who seems to find just the right spots to show off such expertise. Please keep it up.
    gulfcoaster, klaviator and bwhip62 like this.
  9. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much for your kind note, you made my day! :-)
  10. Zubb

Oddometer:
    echo all the comments above. I always smile when I see a new post of yours cause I know it'll be great. I share your love of riding good roads and appreciate your sharing their locations with us. It's a bit of a haul for me to get back home to the PNW to ride, so it's fairly rare. But your posts help keep me connected with my very own Idaho, Washington and Oregon.
    Cheers brother. And my offer still stands. . . . happy to store that Aprilia for you each winter as long as you leave the key in it so I can move it if I have to.
    bwhip62 and klaviator like this.