bwhip's phototastic two-wheeled adventures thread

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by bwhip62, Mar 18, 2015.

1. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Decided to do some exploring on the KTM on Saturday. Wound up doing a little over 200 miles, mostly on dirt roads, heading north around a reservoir I saw on Google Maps, which I'd never heard anyone around here talk about.

It was a pretty fun ride, but MAN that seat is a plank! A buddy of mine recommended replacing it with a Seat Concepts replacement, which I've now ordered.

Here are a few pics from the ride:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. philthyphil

philthyphil Nomad

Oddometer:
    I do miss living in that area, but I also appreciate it when you go for a ride and share it with us!!!! :clap

:freaky
    Extremenc likes this.
  3. TigerTanker

TigerTanker Husqurducycle

Oddometer:
    Awesome thread!

I am new to all this and this makes me want to hit the road.
    Extremenc likes this.
  4. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much! :thumb
    Extremenc likes this.
  5. Gcontroller

Gcontroller Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fantastic pics
    Extremenc likes this.
  6. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last Saturday I decided to take a day trip on one of my favorite local loops - 375 miles from my home near Boise, west into eastern Oregon, through the twisties in Hells Canyon, back across the Snake River into Idaho, and back to home. Weather forecast was a little sketchy, but for the most part things stayed dry.

The first 100 miles are so are through farm land and while pleasant, not all that exciting. Once you pass Unity Lake and start heading up the mountain on Hwy 245, things get fun very quickly!

[​IMG]

I did something a little different on this trip compared to my usual rides. I took along my Canon 5D Mark III, and decided instead of shooting wide angle, I would shoot everything with my 85mm f/1.8 lens. I wanted a different look, with a little more compression, and maybe a few stitched panos (such as the photo above, which started with over 100 separate images!

I also like the bokeh this lens can provide, which really isolates the bike nicely, while giving a good feel for the surrounding beauty of the terrain, and the fun of the road. And, I've ridden this route quite a few times, and shot photos all along the way using wide angle lenses, so this would enable me to get some different looks along the same route.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I continued along toward Baker City, where I'd stop for lunch. Little did I know I'd stumbled right into the middle of a giant Harley Davidson rally - the Snake River Rally. Hundreds of Harley enthusiasts, booths selling all kinds of stuff, and lots of bikes. Not my cup of tea, but they all seemed pleasant enough. I grabbed some lunch and some fuel for the bike, and headed north on a great road - Hwy 86, which is twisty, flowing and fun.

A short while later I reached the Snake River near the Oxbow Dam, and headed toward Idaho on the Brownlee-Oxbow Highway, where I had to grab a few more shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I passed through Weiser, Idaho on the way home, the storm clouds were really starting to gather. I noticed an interesting statue in front of a local business there, and decided that, although I should probably keep moving with the storm approaching, I just had to grab a quick photo (this time with the iPhone). He just looked like he wanted to go for a ride on my bike. :)

[​IMG]

All in all, another great ride, and some much-needed two-wheeled therapy! Now, back to work.
    Uke, glasshousebc, Extremenc and 4 others like this.
  7. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    Cool shot, he looks ready to mount up and ride. :thumb

[​IMG]
    Extremenc likes this.
  8. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On Saturday some friends invited me to go for a ride in the dirt. They planned to go to the Danskin Mountains, which is about an hour from where we live near Boise. Sounded like fun, so I decided to go along.

WOW, were those some awesome trails! Really dusty, but the trails were super smooth, challenging and fun, and the views were amazing! I wish I'd have brought my real camera along, but wasn't sure how gnarly it would be, so I just packed the iPhone for this trip. Here are some examples of what we saw:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rides like these are the main reason I bought the KTM a few months back. The opportunity to see beautiful parts of Idaho where the Ducati can't take me, and to have a blast with my friends while doing so. Really grateful to live in such an outstanding part of the world for motorcycling!
    Uke, Extremenc, Meriwether and 2 others like this.
  9. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man, that was fun! 1450 miles of sweet, twisty tarmac, and some truly special scenery. A very refreshing weekend getaway!

I’d been looking at a map recently, and thinking about taking a long weekend to ride to some areas up in Washington state that I hadn’t yet had the opportunity to check out. I’d make it a nice big loop that would also include some of my favorites closer to home (near Boise), that I’ve done several times in the past.

This past weekend my work schedule and the weather both looked really conducive for making this happen, so after some Friday morning obligations at the office, I hopped on the Multistrada and off I went.

[​IMG]

I rode up through the Snake River canyon, along Brownlee Reservoir, and crossed the Snake River into Oregon, and then proceeded up the tight, twisty and scenic Wallowa Mountain Road, toward Joseph. Like on most of my trips, I take full advantage of the riding fun of the roads, but also always stay on the lookout for photo opportunities.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From Joseph I headed north toward one of my all-time favorite stretches of road. One look at the photos and it’s easy to see why. Rattlesnake Pass! So scenic, so fun. Absolutely brilliant. Hardly any cars on it, thankfully, so I was able to ride aggressively and also circle back for photos at various points along the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I’ve always heard that riders should stop at the bottom of the Canyon, at a little restaurant called Boggan’s Oasis – particularly for their pie! The few times I’ve ridden through here before, it’s never been quite the right time of day, so I hadn’t stopped. This time, however, it was about dinner time, so I stopped in for a burger and some blueberry pie ala mode. I’m happy to report that their reputation is well deserved! Very glad I stopped in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I snapped a few more pictures as I headed north, up the hill and out of the canyon, and rode toward my evening’s destination of Lewiston.

[​IMG]

The next morning I rode about 40 miles or so up Hwy 193 along the Snake River. It was really scenic, and there was almost zero traffic on the road of any type. My plan was to loop up the hill on the Wawawai Grade Road and take the highway back south to ride the Old Spiral Highway, but when I got up toward the top of the hill, I found that it turned into a pretty rough dirt road. I wasn’t sure how long or rugged that stretch might be, so instead I turned around and rode back the way I came along the river.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course I had to take a run up and down the Old Spiral Highway! No visit to Lewiston would be complete without that.

[​IMG]

What a road! It’s just mind-boggling how fun it is, how great the pavement surface is, the banking of the corners, the views. Like it was made for motorcycle fun!

I headed west on Hwy 12, toward the Moses Lake area, then north on Hwy 17 to check out the Grand Coulee and Coulee Dam area, which I’d heard good things about. The ride getting there was not particularly exciting, but the terrain and views once I got there were really nice!

Of course, being a Ducati rider, I had to snap a picture of this sign. Hard to believe there weren’t Ducatis everywhere, given their reputation and all :)

[​IMG]

Some really beautiful scenery as I approached Grand Coulee.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here’s a view at the top of the dam…

[​IMG]

And one from below…

[​IMG]

As I rode out of town, I looked back and saw this pretty view and had to grab a shot

[​IMG]

I rode west toward Omak, where I’d be spending Saturday night.

[​IMG]

Sunday morning, I headed south on Hwy 97, and quickly figured out where most of our apples come from! There seemed to be quite a few big orchards and processing facilities as I rode through Brewster, Pateros, and Chelan. The views along that stretch of the Columbia River were pretty awesome too! Just an absolutely beautiful morning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I decided to check out a little detour off the highway, called the Entiat River Road. I rode about 20 miles up the road then turned around, just to check it out, as I’d heard it was a good motorcycle road. It was pretty fun, scenic and twisty – though there were houses along most of it. I sort of have a golden rule about not riding like a maniac through areas where people live, as I wouldn’t want someone doing that in my neighborhood. Still, a very pleasant detour.

[​IMG]

I continued south on Hwy 97, then stopped in the Lake Wenatchee area for lunch, before traveling west on Hwy 2 to head over the mountain on Hwy 97. What’s that up in the sky? Big dark clouds? The weatherman said sunny, sunny, and sunny! I didn’t exactly bring rain gear. Oh well, thankfully it was just a brief storm, nothing too bad.

As the clouds lifted and I passed a bunch of RV’s, cars and trucks heading up the mountain, I finally hit a section where I was alone again on the road, and of course started to stretch the Ducati’s legs a bit. I looked in my rearview mirror, and was surprised to see flashing red and blue lights! OOPS!

[​IMG]

It’d been three years since the last time I got popped for speeding, and so I really felt like it was way overdue anyway. J Fortunately, the state trooper was very cool. He said he got me on radar doing 80 (in a 60), and decided he had to write me up. However, he also said that he’d ridden bikes like mine before, and he understood how difficult it could be to maintain a rate of speed around the speed limit all the time (true!). He wrote me up for just 5 MPH over, saving me a bunch of money on the fine, which I truly appreciated.

Pretty sneaky trooper car, don’t you think? Sure never saw that coming. Oh well.

I stopped in Yakima for a cold drink, then headed south through Goldendale, and picked up the SUPER fun and twisty Hwy 142. Beautiful, sporty and empty, just the way I like my women. ER – I mean roads! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It doesn’t get much more spectacular and beautiful than the Columbia River Gorge, between Washington and Oregon, does it? Wow, what a beautiful place! There were zillions of kite surfers and windsurfers, taking advantage of the beautiful weather and typically strong winds in the gorge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I stopped in The Dalles for an early dinner and some fuel, and then headed to my evening’s destination – Condon, OR.

The road to Condon (Hwy 206) is an absolute gem. It’s out in the middle of nowhere, and feels like the mountain section of the Isle of Man TT race. Beautifully fast and flowing through the prairie land, with some interesting windfarm landscapes along the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On Monday morning I got up early and headed east toward home.

[​IMG]

I absolutely love the roads between Condon and the little town of Spray, OR. Who designs these roads? Must be a motorcyclist, right? Gotta be. They are just so perfect for bikes. Just watch out for the deer! I had several give me some good scares that morning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The clouds were really beautiful that morning, and I just had to stop at several spots along the way to shoot photos. Just perfect conditions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Along Hwy 26 west of John Day, OR, there are a couple of sections that are particularly spectacular. Just awesome, so beautiful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I stopped in John Day for brunch, and then rode the remaining three hours or so to home. All in all, about 1,450 miles over 3 ½ days. A fantastic trip, and fun getaway. Very grateful!
    Uke, Extremenc, Meriwether and 5 others like this.
  10. motocopter

motocopter ˙˙˙ƃuᴉɥɔɹɐǝS

Oddometer:
    Exact same self-restraint that works for me in areas with more than the occasional home. :beer
    Uke, Extremenc and bwhip62 like this.
  11. oldoval

oldoval Energy Vampire

Oddometer:
    Awesome thread, awesome pictures. One of my favorite parts of the country. Can't wait to see more.

Extremenc likes this.
  12. dixiethedog

dixiethedog Day tripper

Oddometer:
    Your skill's as a photographer are amazing. The pic's are all stunning. You seem able to capture the scenery in a manner that would leave many professional photographer's crying into their view lenses. Do camera's have a view lens? lol. Anyway,your good!!!! Very very good.:D
    Extremenc likes this.
  13. Cyclenaut

Cyclenaut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fantastic photos...
    Extremenc likes this.
  14. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much! I really appreciate the kind compliments.
    Extremenc likes this.
  15. richarddacat

richarddacat managing my excitement Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ditto, beautiful country, thanks for sharing.
    Extremenc likes this.
  16. Gham

Gham past expiration date Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love the pics,nice bikes too!
    Extremenc likes this.
  17. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I just added another one to the stable. Price was an absolute steal, so I couldn't resist. And what a bike!

[​IMG]

My first rides on it were right after I picked it up in late June - at Grattan Raceway in Michigan. Got to properly flog it, and was completely blown away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. Gham

Gham past expiration date Supporter

Oddometer:

Damn...your the kinda guy that hits the lotto just to rub it in!!!
    Extremenc likes this.
  19. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    More great shots and ride reporting. Very inspirational.
    Extremenc likes this.
  20. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After a 20+ year hiatus from bikes while raising kids and putting a couple through college, I guess I'm making up for lost time! :)