bwhip's phototastic two-wheeled adventures thread

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by bwhip62, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Thumperama

Thumperama We are the 'Berg - Resistance is futile

Oddometer:
    1 of 25? Wow.....nice!
  2. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! #22, to be exact. :D

[​IMG]
  3. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A few more glamour shots of the new baby:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Idaho's Governor just issued the "Stay-at-Home" order for the next three weeks, so I guess it's good that I went when I did [​IMG]
    Zubb, manx16 and Uke like this.
  5. Duanob

Duanob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yeah but who's going to catch you? There's no one out there! I went for a couple hour ride on Sunday afternoon out the Old Palouse Highway and saw three cars. Unless Covid can travel at 60MPH I don't think anyone has to worry about solitary motorcycle riders. And the face shield is a built in sneeze glass! Win-win!

Unfortunately the weather turned from nice spring time back to winter this week in the Inland NW.
  6. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not trying to get into a mine's bigger than yourn's, but I drove back into HouTex to home sweet home via eastbound I-10 to the West Loop 610, never got below 55mph until I hit my exit. It took 15 minutes to cover a distance that typically takes 60 - 90 minutes, serious Twilight Zone material here. Filled-up with gas @ Sam's Club, $1.49.9/gallon, more TW Zone compared to two weeks ago.

I think I've bought the last of my 5.56 Nato ammo for the year, it's mostly sold out now as is also .22 LR of all stripes and nearly all pistol ammo. Firearm sales in Texas are 5X what they were for this same week last year.

Quoting Samuel L. Jackson from Jurassic Park: "Hold on to yer butts!"

7. Smaxed

Smaxed n00b

Oddometer:
    I think most stay-at-home orders include exceptions for necessities - food, medicine, health care. Riding is a vital part of my mental health. I live a few blocks from the beginning of the Cottage Grove Lorane Road, so one of my health measures is to head up to Siuslaw River Road and Wolf Creek Road.
    bwhip62 and Uke like this.
  8. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did a bit more distancing this past weekend – Friday to Sunday. I really needed it, and it was an absolutely fantastic trip. The Governor here has been loosening the restrictions a little, and I’ve been waiting for any opportunity to go for a ride. I thought about looping up north and then over into Montana, but it seems they’re not eager to have out-of-state visitors (understandable, of course), so I decided not to be a pariah. Of course, my favorite regional place to go is Oregon, but they seem much more locked down over there, so I decided to hit some Idaho favorites, and skirt the edges of Washington and Oregon on the way back. Interesting that along my route in Idaho I saw tons of license plates from California, Washington, Oregon and Nevada, so I guess not everyone is too worried about a bit of travel here and there.

Weather was just perfect. A little cool in the morning, and nicely warm (around 80) in the afternoon. Bright, sunny skies. I always prefer some clouds for photos, and also when riding at speed through the forest, there is less harsh contrast between light and shadow, so visibility is better. But no complaints! I had a blast. Obviously very few people on the road, and I interacted with just a handful of people and a few gas pumps along the route, so distancing was not a problem at all.

Did almost exactly 1,000 miles over the three days, all of them a wonderful gift for which I’m most grateful.

Day one route:

[​IMG]

Brought the drone along, of course, along with my pocket camera and the iPhone. Day one highlights were the wonderful road to Elk City, and another spectacular road near Orofino, where I spent Friday night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sure was nice to see everything getting nice and green, compared to a couple of months ago!

Just east of Orofino there’s a crazy little stretch of road near the town of Greer, which rises dramatically out of the canyon with some awesome hairpin turns. Views are okay from the road, but with the drone they really are spectacular!

[​IMG]

Saturday morning I rode from Orofino up toward St Maries, and to St Joe River Road, another one of my Idaho favorites.

[​IMG]

This climb up Highway 3 north of Kendrick is always beautiful:

[​IMG]

Some spectacular spring blooms south of Deary:

[​IMG]

Finally, St Joe River Road – 75 miles each way of beautiful, twisty action:

[​IMG]

This narrow little bridge was begging for a photo. I didn’t realize it was going to be so popular with four-wheelers, who were impatiently waiting for the dope on a motorcycle to shoot his drone selfie and get out of the way!

[​IMG]

As always, I enjoyed the heck out of St Joe River Road. It’s usually pretty devoid of vehicles, and this weekend was no exception.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I headed south toward Saturday evening’s destination – Lewiston. On the way there along Hwy 6 I rode through a really fun stretch through the forest, full of tight turns through the pine trees. I thought there might be a nice opportunity for an overhead shot with the drone:

[​IMG]

One of my favorite things about my little touring trips is stopping at little cafes or restaurants along the way, enjoying some good food and a cup of coffee while soaking in the local culture. Because of the pandemic, however, most of the restaurants are closed, or offering takeout or drive-thru service only, which doesn’t work so well on a motorcycle. A bit of a bummer, for sure – but the weather was nice enough that even if I had to just grab a sandwich at a grocery store and slam it in the parking lot, it was no big deal.

Sunday it was time to head home – with a lovely ride through Rattlesnake Pass along the way.

[​IMG]

Even though I shot drone photos here back in March, there are just so many amazing views of this incredible stretch of road, I just had to stop for a few more – between tire-testing sessions of flying through all of these corners on the Multistrada.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unreal.

Next I rode down to Enterprise and got some fuel. My plan was to continue over Wallowa Mountain Road to Hells Canyon and the Snake River, back over to Idaho. Wallowa Mountain Road is beautiful – but a bit rugged, and I was a little worried about snow or debris blocking the road. I didn’t see any signs that it was closed, and I hoped that being late in the spring, it would be okay to pass, otherwise I’d have to turn around and go all the way back to La Grande, which would completely suck.

[​IMG]

As I climbed the mountain, I started seeing more and more snow along the side of the road, and then on the road – but it was still passable. It was stressing me out because on the north-facing shady spots the snow kept getting deeper and deeper – but there was always a tire track or two I could carefully navigate through with my slick street tires. Still, I worried that I might finally get to a section that I couldn’t safely get through, and I’d have to turn around.

[​IMG]

After what seemed like a hundred of these stressful encounters with snow on the road, I finally got to smooth, sun-baked dry asphalt (mostly). There were lots of rocks and fallen tree branches (and trees!) in the road – but always passable. You know those road signs that say “Falling Rocks?” I guess they’re not kidding around.

[​IMG]

Glad that didn’t happen as I was riding through! I couldn’t tell if there was a coyote or roadrunner under that boulder, but on I went.

I stopped at the Hells Canyon Scenic Lookout point for a photo or two. I’ve always been frustrated here in the past that I couldn’t get a high enough vantage point with the camera – but with the drone, that’s sure not an issue!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I rode the rest of the way home, enjoying every moment, even through the boring stretches of farmland between Cambridge and home. It just felt so great to be riding on a beautiful spring weekend!

Made it back in time to make Mrs Whip a nice Mother’s Day dinner. Oh – and something even more important:

[​IMG]

She was so filthy after all that slogging through the snow, and putting a dent in the Idaho bug population! All better now.

[​IMG]

Just over 1,000 miles over three days – and every one of them felt like a precious gift. Very grateful for it, as always – especially during these crazy times we’re experiencing. Hopefully soon we can do more of it, with lots of friends, open restaurants, and less fear!
  9. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome pics as always. The drone adds a whole new dimension to your photography. :clap:clap:clap
    Uke and tbrown-bc like this.
  10. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you! I'm sure happy to have it along for the ride. :-)
    klaviator likes this.
  11. pwh

pwh Just Farkin' GO

Oddometer:
    Great photos man!
    Uke and bwhip62 like this.
  12. Smaxed

Smaxed n00b

Oddometer:
    I second that comment about "adds a whole new dimension". How were your accommodations? Oregon is still closed up, so I've been doing only day trips.
  13. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I found hotels I've used before in Orofino and Lewiston, which were fine. Not many guests, of course, and breakfast offerings were very sanitized and sparse. Still, they seemed happy I was there, so that was nice.
    glasshousebc, Uke and manx16 like this.
  14. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    Great pics and thanks for the report.

Have you ever ridden up to Headquarters?
  15. Chickenstrip

Chickenstrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent photos, words and sentiments. Thanks for taking the time.
    Speaking of which, between putting in 300+ miles per day and stopping for both Earth-bound and drone shots, you must have been at it all day long. Were you out from 7AM to 7PM? I find stopping for shots a dilemma (even without a drone): I want the shots, but I don't necessarily want put in 10 hours days.
    BTW, Mavic Air?
  16. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Haven't made it up there yet, I'll have to put it on the list.
  17. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, my pleasure! I tend to ride pretty fast between photo stops :D, so not quite that long. On Friday I left around 10 AM, arrived around 5 PM (lost an hour with time change, so eight hours). Saturday was about 8 AM to 4 PM. Sunday was 8 AM to 3 PM. So, not too bad with such long daylight this time of year. And the photo stops are kind of restful, too. Just have to drink lots of water along the way!

And yes, DJI Mavic Air, which I've really been pleased with. However, I am going to be selling it soon. DJI came out with the Mavic Air 2 a couple of weeks ago, and I've got one on order!
    klaviator likes this.
  18. birds

birds Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know the question wasn't aimed at me, but, memory is shit.

I don't regret any pictures I've stopped to take. I've only ever wished I had more pictures from rides that I know were amazing.
    Zubb likes this.
  19. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    You sure ticked a lot of my favorite boxes. We have so many incredible roads and trails in SoCal, and I love riding them. But Idaho is my home. And rides down those roads you were on brings a connection to my family history and past moto memories. Thanks for sharing. I always get excited to read your posts.
    bwhip62, mikegc and klaviator like this.
  20. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Truth.
    Uke, mikegc and klaviator like this.