bwhip's phototastic two-wheeled adventures thread

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by bwhip62, Mar 18, 2015.

1. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the great pleasure of hosting our annual NW Tour event over the past four days, and it was a fantastic adventure, as always.

Our buddy Zoltan (South Carolina) joined us again this year, along with my local moto-buddies Tom, Tommy, and newcomers Nate and Todd. Terry usually joins us, but he wound up having to cancel out late due to some other friends flying into town to ride dirt bikes with him, and they couldn’t do it any other dates. Our other buddy Tim couldn’t join us, since he’s in the hospital dealing with a very serious health issue.

What do we do when guys cancel out late? Of course, we figure out a way to bring them along in spirit! (and in cardboard):

[​IMG]
    As is tradition, most of us met up at my house on Friday night before the trip, and I made pizza and some tasty desserts. Terry stopped by too, and got to meet his flat alter-ego.

[​IMG]
    Hud and Terry two-up on the Ducati looked kind of funny:

[​IMG]
    Saturday AM we loaded up and headed out to a meeting point at a gas station to head toward Oregon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All of us local guys have known each other for years, and used to race together down in Utah. So, it was a very skilled group of riders. Huddleston loaned Nate Titus his BMW S1000XR. He looked kind of funny riding “bitch” on his own bike.

[​IMG]
    Zoltan, Todd and I split time through the four day trip alternating between the Multistrada, Tuono and GT4 (our trusty support rig).

Each of the four routes averaged around 300-350 miles. Ambitious, but we stopped a fair bit, and it worked out fine. Saturday’s route took us through the desert and up into the central Oregon forest. We spent the first night in Madras.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Remarkably, as we got further into Oregon, the skies got bluer and bluer. They’ve been brown in Boise, full of smoke from fires in Oregon and California. Thankfully, the areas we went to didn’t have that problem.

[​IMG]
    Tom showed us the house in John Day, Oregon, where he grew up as a kid. Tommy tells the photographer he’s number one (frequently).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It was pretty hot! Got up to nearly 100, so we went really really fast to try to get some wind chill – especially in the epic stretch between Fossil and Shaniko, which is completely brilliant.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Had a nice Mexican dinner in Madras, and got ready to head to the coast on Sunday.

[​IMG]
    More fantastic riding through forests along the way. The temperatures got cooler and cooler as we moved west, which was really nice. When we got to the coast, it was in the 60’s and quite breezy. Everyone was wishing they had brought some gear for cooler weather!

[​IMG]

" data-medium-file="https://bwhip62.files.wordpress.com/2021/07/photo_6554176_dji_576_jpg_8051202_0_202171815440_photo_original.jpg?w=300" data-large-file="https://bwhip62.files.wordpress.com/2021/07/photo_6554176_dji_576_jpg_8051202_0_202171815440_photo_original.jpg?w=768" src="https://bwhip62.files.wordpress.com/2021/07/photo_6554176_dji_576_jpg_8051202_0_202171815440_photo_original.jpg" alt="" class="wp-image-5415" scale="0" style="-x-ignore: 1">

" data-medium-file="https://bwhip62.files.wordpress.com/2021/07/photo_6554177_dji_577_jpg_7788105_0_20217181558_photo_original.jpg?w=300" data-large-file="https://bwhip62.files.wordpress.com/2021/07/photo_6554177_dji_577_jpg_7788105_0_20217181558_photo_original.jpg?w=768" src="https://bwhip62.files.wordpress.com/2021/07/photo_6554177_dji_577_jpg_7788105_0_20217181558_photo_original.jpg" alt="" class="wp-image-5416" scale="0" style="-x-ignore: 1">

We went just a few miles further up the coast from Florence (where we spent the night), as I knew we’d get some cool ocean views there near this lighthouse.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Our hotel sat right on the Siuslaw River, which feeds into the ocean, giving a nice view of the bridge.

[​IMG]
    Dinner in Florence on the restaurant patio – a bit more chilly than we were expecting!

[​IMG]
    Sunday AM it was time to head back to the east, again through some incredible forest terrain and twisty roads. So many choices over there – we hardly had to duplicate any of the roads we’d come in on.

[​IMG]
    Hwy 242 (Old McKenzie River Highway) is ridiculous. The tightest, twistiest road you can imagine through gorgeous, dense forest. Climbing, climbing, to the top – where you arrive in a big lava field with a view of the Sisters mountains. Pretty spectacular, and spectacularly pretty.

[​IMG]
    We had a nice lunch in the touristy little town of Sisters, then headed back into the desert (with a bit of forest here and there), as the temperatures warmed back up into the high 90’s. So many more incredibly fun roads along the way. And some very high speeds.

We spent the night in tiny little Condon, which has the most charming hotel, which seems completely out of place there. The town is so tiny that we managed to get dinner from the combination florist-gift shop-restaurant across the street. They usually close at 5, but we made arrangements in advance for them to stay open a little later, just for the six of us, which was really cool of them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Downtown – the hotel, a clothing store, a theater that doesn’t look like it’s had an actual movie for 40 years, and the mortuary. Bikes were parked further away because there had been a big hay truck there when we first arrived (not because I told them to not park too close to the Porsche).

[​IMG]
    Tuesday AM it was back to Boise, with more great roads along the way. A couple of us needed to get back sooner, so we chose a little more expedient route than originally planned, so some could hop on the freeway in Baker City. Todd and Tom rode back to the south of the freeway.

[​IMG]
    Everyone always love the super fun, high-speed roads from Condon to Heppner, then on to Ukiah.

[​IMG]
    All in all, we rode (and drove) over 1400 miles. 1500+ for Tommy, since he rode over from the Sun Valley area. So grateful that we had so much fun, everyone stayed safe, and we didn’t wind up in jail. Best parts, as always, were hanging out at lunch or dinner, busting each others’ chops, and laughing a lot. Looking forward to the next one, and especially getting our pal Tim back to full strength!
  2. Duanob

Duanob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great long weekend trip! How was the heat? It's been freakin' hot here in Spokavegas for the past month and half. At an average of 100F, nothing seems to cool down even flying along on the slab! My neighbors just got back from the Oregon coast and they said it was fairly cool there, they were happy to be back in the heat. But what a difference between here and there. I've been meaning to take a weekend and ride down to the Boise area via the Sawtooths. But it will have to cool down a bit first!
  3. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it's been miserable here for many weeks now. 100 degrees and smoky, and sometimes humidity to go along with it. Coast was actually quite cool, and we didn't pack for it! At least the skies were much bluer over that way, from about La Grande west.
  4. Duanob

Duanob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like you had some nice weather on this recent trip.

At least we've had fairly clear skies here in Spokane but yes I never thought 90F would feel absolutely comfortable on two wheels....relatively of course!

I have yet to get a nice summer time riding jacket. All of my riding gear was for colder weather riding. So I've tried riding around town in a t-shirt which I don't usually recommend but when it's hot, it's really hot!
  5. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Oxenfree

Oddometer:
    Get out early for the good riding when it's hot. My group has been leaving around 5am and coming home by 9-10am. It helps that none of us have jobs to worry about!

Nice looking trip Brian (as per usual with you.) I'm not usually enamored with cars when bikes are also involved but that Porsche...:tb
    bwhip62 likes this.