bwhip's phototastic two-wheeled adventures thread

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by bwhip62, Mar 18, 2015.

1. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the great pleasure of hosting our annual NW Tour event over the past four days, and it was a fantastic adventure, as always.

Our buddy Zoltan (South Carolina) joined us again this year, along with my local moto-buddies Tom, Tommy, and newcomers Nate and Todd. Terry usually joins us, but he wound up having to cancel out late due to some other friends flying into town to ride dirt bikes with him, and they couldn’t do it any other dates. Our other buddy Tim couldn’t join us, since he’s in the hospital dealing with a very serious health issue.

What do we do when guys cancel out late? Of course, we figure out a way to bring them along in spirit! (and in cardboard):

[​IMG]
    As is tradition, most of us met up at my house on Friday night before the trip, and I made pizza and some tasty desserts. Terry stopped by too, and got to meet his flat alter-ego.

[​IMG]
    Hud and Terry two-up on the Ducati looked kind of funny:

[​IMG]
    Saturday AM we loaded up and headed out to a meeting point at a gas station to head toward Oregon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All of us local guys have known each other for years, and used to race together down in Utah. So, it was a very skilled group of riders. Huddleston loaned Nate Titus his BMW S1000XR. He looked kind of funny riding “bitch” on his own bike.

[​IMG]
    Zoltan, Todd and I split time through the four day trip alternating between the Multistrada, Tuono and GT4 (our trusty support rig).

Each of the four routes averaged around 300-350 miles. Ambitious, but we stopped a fair bit, and it worked out fine. Saturday’s route took us through the desert and up into the central Oregon forest. We spent the first night in Madras.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Remarkably, as we got further into Oregon, the skies got bluer and bluer. They’ve been brown in Boise, full of smoke from fires in Oregon and California. Thankfully, the areas we went to didn’t have that problem.

[​IMG]
    Tom showed us the house in John Day, Oregon, where he grew up as a kid. Tommy tells the photographer he’s number one (frequently).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It was pretty hot! Got up to nearly 100, so we went really really fast to try to get some wind chill – especially in the epic stretch between Fossil and Shaniko, which is completely brilliant.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Had a nice Mexican dinner in Madras, and got ready to head to the coast on Sunday.

[​IMG]
    More fantastic riding through forests along the way. The temperatures got cooler and cooler as we moved west, which was really nice. When we got to the coast, it was in the 60’s and quite breezy. Everyone was wishing they had brought some gear for cooler weather!

[​IMG]

" data-medium-file="https://bwhip62.files.wordpress.com/2021/07/photo_6554176_dji_576_jpg_8051202_0_202171815440_photo_original.jpg?w=300" data-large-file="https://bwhip62.files.wordpress.com/2021/07/photo_6554176_dji_576_jpg_8051202_0_202171815440_photo_original.jpg?w=768" src="https://bwhip62.files.wordpress.com/2021/07/photo_6554176_dji_576_jpg_8051202_0_202171815440_photo_original.jpg" alt="" class="wp-image-5415" scale="0" style="-x-ignore: 1">

" data-medium-file="https://bwhip62.files.wordpress.com/2021/07/photo_6554177_dji_577_jpg_7788105_0_20217181558_photo_original.jpg?w=300" data-large-file="https://bwhip62.files.wordpress.com/2021/07/photo_6554177_dji_577_jpg_7788105_0_20217181558_photo_original.jpg?w=768" src="https://bwhip62.files.wordpress.com/2021/07/photo_6554177_dji_577_jpg_7788105_0_20217181558_photo_original.jpg" alt="" class="wp-image-5416" scale="0" style="-x-ignore: 1">

We went just a few miles further up the coast from Florence (where we spent the night), as I knew we’d get some cool ocean views there near this lighthouse.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Our hotel sat right on the Siuslaw River, which feeds into the ocean, giving a nice view of the bridge.

[​IMG]
    Dinner in Florence on the restaurant patio – a bit more chilly than we were expecting!

[​IMG]
    Sunday AM it was time to head back to the east, again through some incredible forest terrain and twisty roads. So many choices over there – we hardly had to duplicate any of the roads we’d come in on.

[​IMG]
    Hwy 242 (Old McKenzie River Highway) is ridiculous. The tightest, twistiest road you can imagine through gorgeous, dense forest. Climbing, climbing, to the top – where you arrive in a big lava field with a view of the Sisters mountains. Pretty spectacular, and spectacularly pretty.

[​IMG]
    We had a nice lunch in the touristy little town of Sisters, then headed back into the desert (with a bit of forest here and there), as the temperatures warmed back up into the high 90’s. So many more incredibly fun roads along the way. And some very high speeds.

We spent the night in tiny little Condon, which has the most charming hotel, which seems completely out of place there. The town is so tiny that we managed to get dinner from the combination florist-gift shop-restaurant across the street. They usually close at 5, but we made arrangements in advance for them to stay open a little later, just for the six of us, which was really cool of them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Downtown – the hotel, a clothing store, a theater that doesn’t look like it’s had an actual movie for 40 years, and the mortuary. Bikes were parked further away because there had been a big hay truck there when we first arrived (not because I told them to not park too close to the Porsche).

[​IMG]
    Tuesday AM it was back to Boise, with more great roads along the way. A couple of us needed to get back sooner, so we chose a little more expedient route than originally planned, so some could hop on the freeway in Baker City. Todd and Tom rode back to the south of the freeway.

[​IMG]
    Everyone always love the super fun, high-speed roads from Condon to Heppner, then on to Ukiah.

[​IMG]
    All in all, we rode (and drove) over 1400 miles. 1500+ for Tommy, since he rode over from the Sun Valley area. So grateful that we had so much fun, everyone stayed safe, and we didn’t wind up in jail. Best parts, as always, were hanging out at lunch or dinner, busting each others’ chops, and laughing a lot. Looking forward to the next one, and especially getting our pal Tim back to full strength!
  2. Duanob

Duanob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great long weekend trip! How was the heat? It's been freakin' hot here in Spokavegas for the past month and half. At an average of 100F, nothing seems to cool down even flying along on the slab! My neighbors just got back from the Oregon coast and they said it was fairly cool there, they were happy to be back in the heat. But what a difference between here and there. I've been meaning to take a weekend and ride down to the Boise area via the Sawtooths. But it will have to cool down a bit first!
  3. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it's been miserable here for many weeks now. 100 degrees and smoky, and sometimes humidity to go along with it. Coast was actually quite cool, and we didn't pack for it! At least the skies were much bluer over that way, from about La Grande west.
  4. Duanob

Duanob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like you had some nice weather on this recent trip.

At least we've had fairly clear skies here in Spokane but yes I never thought 90F would feel absolutely comfortable on two wheels....relatively of course!

I have yet to get a nice summer time riding jacket. All of my riding gear was for colder weather riding. So I've tried riding around town in a t-shirt which I don't usually recommend but when it's hot, it's really hot!
  5. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Look What You've Done

Oddometer:
    Get out early for the good riding when it's hot. My group has been leaving around 5am and coming home by 9-10am. It helps that none of us have jobs to worry about!

Nice looking trip Brian (as per usual with you.) I'm not usually enamored with cars when bikes are also involved but that Porsche...:tb
    alpina and bwhip62 like this.
  6. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It had been a month and a half or so since I last was able to do a long ride or drive, and despite having a million reasons not to go, as I notice the days getting shorter and cooler, I know that there isn’t a lot of riding season left. So, I decided to go. My most recent trip had been our big group adventure over in Oregon, so I decided to go north instead – on a very familiar loop that I’ve done a couple of times in the car this year, but not since last year on the bike.

[​IMG]
    Friday afternoon I rode east to Salmon, where I spent the night. I’ve done this route so many times that I figured I wouldn’t take many photos (if at all), and make it more of a riding trip. I decided to just take photos of views I’d never captured before, or not at all. The skies were mostly cloudless, so not really ideal for photos anyway.

The only photo I took on Friday was of the Sawtooth Mountains near Stanley. It was odd to see them with no snow, because it seems like most anytime I’m out that way, there’s always snow on the mountains. End of summer.

[​IMG]
    I had a nice dinner at a little bistro on the river in Salmon, and on Saturday morning I stopped in at a great little bakery there for a chocolate croissant and some coffee – both excellent. I knew it would be cold starting out on my ride, so I wasn’t in any particular hurry. Temps on my ride wound up being as cold as 41, and as high as 88 when I got to Lewiston later. All along Hwy 12 it was just about perfect – mid 70’s. Such a great day for a ride.

When I rode over Lost Trail Pass along the Idaho/Montana border, I came upon a spot that I thought would be great for some drone photos, so we took flight!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I continued north into Montana, and headed west on Hwy 12. Of course, I had to stop at my favorite sign.

[​IMG]
    Such a wonderful road. And remarkably, there was almost no one on it on this perfect summer Saturday. I stopped at a few spots to grab some drone photos. The whole route is just so picturesque, I couldn’t help myself.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

" data-medium-file="https://bwhip62.files.wordpress.com/2021/08/dji_0597.jpg?w=300" data-large-file="https://bwhip62.files.wordpress.com/2021/08/dji_0597.jpg?w=768" src="https://bwhip62.files.wordpress.com/2021/08/dji_0597.jpg" alt="" class="wp-image-5454" scale="0" style="-x-ignore: 1">

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    At one of the stops a colorful butterfly decided he wanted to hitch a ride on my clutch master cylinder.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It’s always interesting and fun to see odd bits of Americana along my travels. I snapped a couple of examples on Saturday.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to Idaho!

I spent the night in Lewiston. It had been a fantastic day of riding in pretty perfect conditions. A lot of miles, with a pretty decent average rate of speed.

[​IMG]
    I got up early on Sunday to watch the MotoGP race live from the UK. Unfortunately, the internet video feed was messed up so I could have slept a little later. Oh well, it enabled me to get an early start on the ride home.

A little more Americana in Anatone, Washington:

[​IMG]
    I grabbed a quick snapshot as I descended into the Snake River canyon at Rattlesnake Pass.

[​IMG]
    Because it was so early in the day, most all of the road was in shadows, so not really great for photos – so I just rode hard instead. And it was really fun!

I stopped for breakfast at my favorite little cafe in Joseph, Oregon, and then headed toward home over Wallowa Mountain Road. It was another beautiful day, and I was so grateful for the opportunity to be enjoying the beautiful scenery as I zipped along through the forest.

I arrived home early Sunday afternoon, after nearly 900 glorious miles of riding bliss. I was really glad that I made the decision to go for a ride. Not too much season left!

[​IMG]
    popscycle, staticPort, pwh and 10 others like this.
  7. Jetpilot5

Jetpilot5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just wow! Subscribed.
    bwhip62 likes this.
  8. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    perfect conditions and no smoke!!

envious
    bwhip62 likes this.
  9. Smaxed

Smaxed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Your trip reports were very good before you started using a drone, but it really adds to them. I wish I could come close to even your non-drone reports.

Don't say the season is ending yet, in Oregon I think of it as extending to at least early November.
    klaviator and bwhip62 like this.
  10. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love that loop. In fact it was you that introduced me to the whole Asotin to Wallowa to Oxbow to Boise leg. And it was just past your (and my) favorite sign that I killed a doe and in exchange she killed my BMW.......
    ..... sorry, I drifted off for a few minutes as the memory machine fired up. Your reports always do that to me. It was at Hells Canyon Inn that I parked my Ducati in the middle of a herd of dirt bikes and the first spark of Enduro-itis hit me.
    Makes me wanna go back to Idaho.
    klaviator and bwhip62 like this.
  11. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Definitely not ending yet! Hopefully to late November even, but I do like these long daylight hours...

Thanks so much! I sure appreciate having that drone to capture even more of the spectacular beauty I'm blessed to be able to ride through.
    klaviator likes this.
  12. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been by the "bumper crop" a couple of times. Those folks on the hill have a unique sense of humor.[​IMG]

Mike
    klaviator, Uke and bwhip62 like this.
  13. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fall has officially arrived here in the Pacific Northwest, with cooler temperatures, shorter daylight hours, and leaves changing colors and dropping quickly. I really wanted to get a nice long weekend of motorcycle touring in before it gets too much later in the season. My calendar said that last Friday-Sunday would work, so I started planning a route. I also contacted a few local moto-buddies to see if anyone wanted to come along. Thankfully, Tom said he could make it work.

Our plan was to use the “base camp” approach, from Hood River, Oregon, along the Columbia River Gorge. From there we could do loop rides over to the coast, up into Washington, and south into some of central Oregon’s twisty bits. We drove over with the bikes in a trailer on Thursday afternoon, prepared to ride Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and then return Sunday night. However, the forecast for Sunday kept looking very wet, so ultimately we decided that Saturday’s route would be a combination of the best parts of what we’d planned for Saturday and Sunday instead, and that we’d just head home Sunday morning.

[​IMG]
    What the map doesn’t show is the road closure along Nestucca River Road west of Carlton, that took us much deeper into the forest than expected – though it was a really cool detour!
    [​IMG]
    Once we got to the coast, we took advantage of this spectacular view at Cape Lookout
    [​IMG]
    Happy because the forecast called for rain at the coast, but it had passed before we got there
    [​IMG]
    I brought the good camera along, but discovered when I went to take a nice wide-angle shot of the coast – I’d brought the wrong lens! Oops. Oh well, it did allow for some nice portraits.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The drone came in handy too, as always
    We stopped for lunch in Tillamook, then headed north along the coast to Garibaldi, where we turned inland toward Mohler, and then Route 53 – both of which were super twisty and fun, but crazy bumpy.

We headed back through Portland toward the Gorge, and got to experience some of that fun rush hour traffic. Suddenly the traffic we have in Boise seemed like nothing. We decided to stop at the Crown Point viewpoint to take in the spectacular vistas, and it was beautiful as always. Usually we like to take photos of our bikes with the view in the background, but for some reason they weren’t allowing anyone to park around the view area, so we were stuck with people shots instead.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We had a nice dinner at a pizza joint in Hood River, and made our plans for Saturday’s route. Originally we were going to do a big loop to the south, and ride in Washington on Sunday, but because of the rainy forecast we decided to combine some of the best of each.

[​IMG]
    First we headed east toward Condon. Along the way I decided to check out a road that looked pretty good. I’d never ridden it before, and it turned out to be quite spectacular! Just east of Mosier along the Gorge, with a fun, twisty road, and some amazing views. The skies were nice and dramatic Saturday morning too, which added to the cool factor.

" data-medium-file="https://bwhip62.files.wordpress.com/2021/10/dji_0663.jpg?w=300" data-large-file="https://bwhip62.files.wordpress.com/2021/10/dji_0663.jpg?w=768" src="https://bwhip62.files.wordpress.com/2021/10/dji_0663.jpg" alt="" class="wp-image-5506" scale="0" style="-x-ignore: 1">

Unbelievable road, amazing view
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Anytime we’re in Hood River or The Dalles again, we’ll sure go back to this one
    Amazing how quickly the landscape changes when you head south toward Condon. Suddenly you’re in the prairies, surrounded by barren, windy terrain with giant wind farms. Some really fun roads though! Quite empty, and no speed limit! (just kidding)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After we burned up that twisty asphalt and our tires for an hour or so, we turned around and headed north, over the bridge to Washington, and up the hill to Goldendale, where we stopped for lunch at a cool little barbecue place – “The Dirty Cowgirl.”

After lunch we traveled west to the Glenwood Highway, which descends into a picturesque canyon. The views are incredible, and the riding experience is so much fun. We stopped to grab a few pics.

[​IMG]
    Mt Rainier in the background
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

" data-medium-file="https://bwhip62.files.wordpress.com/2021/10/dji_0683.jpg?w=300" data-large-file="https://bwhip62.files.wordpress.com/2021/10/dji_0683.jpg?w=768" src="https://bwhip62.files.wordpress.com/2021/10/dji_0683.jpg" alt="" class="wp-image-5520" scale="0" style="-x-ignore: 1">

[​IMG]
    We turned around there and headed down toward Klickitat. Another fun and twisty stretch of road. That sign behind us says 10 MPH. I don’t think so.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We rode west along the Gorge on the Washington side of the river, to go check out one of our absolute favorite roads – Wind River Road north of Carson. Unfortunately, it started getting grayer and misty, and the road was getting wetter and wetter, so we had to back down the speed a bit. Still, we were seeing some beautiful fall colors and having a blast. Just an amazingly fun road, dry or wet. There is one straight bit through the dense forest along the way where I just had to grab a photo.

[​IMG]
    We thought we might carry on over to Cougar, but then it started raining, which wasn’t great for either photos or riding, so we turned around to head back.

[​IMG]
    We could have ridden on Sunday morning, but by then we were quite satisfied with all the terrain we’d covered, and the fun experiences we had. We rode nearly 700 miles over the two days, and had a complete blast. Last touring ride of the season? Maybe, we’ll see. Either way, we were sure grateful to be able to twist the throttle in such a fantastic area for riding.
  14. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to stop and take all those spectacular pics:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

I have to get out there sometime. What time of year would you recommend?
    bwhip62 likes this.
  15. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Visits there are good most anytime except winter. Summer gets pretty busy, especially along the coast, and the central Oregon areas can get pretty hot. Spring and fall the weather can be a bit more of an issue, since the area gets a lot of rain through the year.
    klaviator likes this.
  16. oldoval

oldoval Pleasant as fuck

Oddometer:
    Great stuff as usual. Just curious, what camera/lens combo did you use on those non-drone shots? The depth of field, bokeh, compression, is really great.
  17. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you! I was shooting with a Canon R5 body. I'd intended to bring the RF 28-70 f/2.0, and instead brought the RF 85mm f/1.2.
  18. Smaxed

Smaxed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think it's a bit of a balancing act. The middle of summer is the driest, but the last 2 years we've had some major smoke issues from forest fires, and some 100 degree plus days. There can be great riding days from April to November, but if I had to plan well in advance, I'd look at mid May to early July, or mid September to mid October.
    bwhip62 and klaviator like this.