bwhip's phototastic two-wheeled adventures thread

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by bwhip62, Mar 18, 2015.

1. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Doug!
    Extremenc likes this.
  2. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had a fun little ride on the new toy last night - a 60 mile loop from my house, out toward Black Canyon Reservoir. Hot, but a nice evening for a ride nonetheless. Need to find just the right little tail bag for my camera for this bike, so just used the iPhone for these.

IMG_2890.jpg

IMG_2896.jpg
    Uke and Extremenc like this.
  3. Deviant

Deviant aka KTM 1290SAdvR

Oddometer:
    Seen your pics pop up on facebook from time to time (TMC). Funny to stumble across them here. Wish I could get myself to stop more often.
    Extremenc likes this.
  4. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally had a chance to take my first extended (150 mile) ride on the new little beast this morning. WOW! What a bike. I knew I'd really like this bike, but Good Lord it's awesome! Best gearbox of any bike I've ever ridden, just buttery smooth. Surprisingly comfortable on a longish ride, and it just DESTROYS the tight corners. And the sound! Just pure sex. Completely in love with this bike, really happy I bought it.

Of course I had to stop along the way a few times for some photos :)

This one is along Arrowrock Reservoir
    [​IMG]

Just south of Mores Creek Summit
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The view looking north toward Lowman
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Along Hwy 55 near Banks, on the Payette River
    [​IMG]
    Uke, Extremenc, Meriwether and 3 others like this.
  5. motocopter

motocopter ˙˙˙ƃuᴉɥɔɹɐǝS

Oddometer:
    Nice pictures. Bounced the mentioned locations off some trip planning going on. I have routed along ID-21 north-to-south into Boise. Then, west to pick up US-95.

Hey, you runnin' from the law? Two different license plates! :lol3 One would get someone stopped in no time.
  6. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

Just one license plate for me :D. The earlier one was while I was waiting for the personalized one to be produced. ;)
    Uke, Extremenc and motocopter like this.
  7. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is very nice. I wish we had a place over here like this to ride!
    [​IMG]

Oh man this is a nice stretch!
    [​IMG]

I'm a little more off pavement oriented and really like your KTM 350 EXC. If I could afford a stable, I think I would like this bike.

Thanks for sharing your trips...so far!
    Uke, sion and Extremenc like this.
  8. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much! Looking forward to many more great adventures in this beautiful region we're blessed to live in.
  9. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    Nice shots as always. That X100T takes very nice shots.
    Extremenc likes this.
  10. JStory

JStory Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great thread!! I found my way here from the Fuji camera thread.
    Thank you for including maps of your rides. More places to go!!
    Extremenc likes this.
  11. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My great pleasure, thanks!
    Extremenc likes this.
  12. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last weekend five buddies of mine and I had a nice four-day adventure in Oregon and Washington, which was incredibly memorable and fun. We rented a house in Hood River, OR, along the Columbia River Gorge. We used it as a comfortable home base for some great loop rides we planned, which took us all over the area, exposing us to some of my favorite roads, and some spectacular scenery.

My friends were all from our "Motorcycle Addicts" group on Facebook. Two were from Calgary, one from here in Boise, another from Portland, and one flew in from Illinois and rode my Tuono.

Renting a house was a great idea. Very comfortable, with six beds, a huge kitchen and dining room, barbecue grill on the deck, and a great media room with 70" TV. It wound up costing each of us just $50 a night, and meant we didn't have to pack all our stuff around on the bikes each day, going from hotel to hotel as we do on most touring trips.

Getting ready to head out on our first day at the house:
    [​IMG]

On day one we rode across the river into Washington state, and rode through beautiful, dense forests, and up to the Mt. St. Helen's area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Gifford Pinchot Forest is really dense. In some areas you literally ride through a tunnel of branches and foliage, which is pretty cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the way back, we had to stop for a picture along the Gorge, which is always beautiful.

[​IMG]

On day two, we headed over to the coast.

[​IMG]

We started by riding along the beautiful historic Columbia River Highway, which has some really awesome waterfalls. At the top there is a viewpoint where the views of the gorge are really nice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We found some amazing roads riding to the west. A particular highlight of the trip was the Nestucca River Road between Carlton and Tillamook. WOW WHAT A ROAD!! One of my all-time favorites.

We stopped at the Cape Lookout State Park to take in this amazing view of the ocean.

[​IMG]

We then rode north on some incredibly twisty and fun routes, which ultimately took us to Astoria, and then we rode back to the east and our house in Hood River. One of the guys got a flat rear tire on the way back, but thankfully a couple of guys had patch kits and pumps, so we were able to help him limp home.

On day three, we rode to the southeast, where some of my favorite roads are. Secluded, incredibly twisty, grippy and fun.

[​IMG]

Maybe my favorite road of the trip was the stretch between Shaniko and Fossil. Like an amazing track, built just for us, in the middle of nowhere. There were virtually zero cars the whole way. Unbelievable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also LOVE Hwy 19 between Spray and Heppner. It just flows unbelievably well. Again, devoid of cars of any sort.

[​IMG]

We barely had enough fuel to get to Heppner, but thankfully it was downhill enough that we made it there on fumes. We stopped for fuel and lunch, then carried on to Condon. Again, another incredible, smooth, breathtakingly fun road in the middle of nowhere. All for us, apparently.

[​IMG]

On day four, we rode south to the Mt. Hood area, and then south and west to Estacada, then back to Hood River.

[​IMG]

On Saturday, when we'd ridden up to Washington, it was nearly 100 degrees. Tuesday morning, near Mt. Hood, it was just 39! Huge contrast in just a few days time.

[​IMG]

This twisty forest road was fun and beautiful, but the early part of it had such big potholes that my buddy bent his front rim in two places on his Multistrada! Thankfully he was able to put some air in it and limp home.

Hwy 224 near Estacada is really fun, and very scenic, as you can see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was an incredible trip. We covered around 1300 miles in the four days, and they were all simply brilliant. Great group of guys, too. Can't wait to do it again!
    Uke, Extremenc, Meriwether and 4 others like this.
  13. OnTheWay

OnTheWay Long timer

Oddometer:
    Woww,You guys are incredibly cool!!Luv ur photos and appreciate the natural beauty sooo much!
    The house u rent seems brilliant.So don't u plan to camp??
    Anyway,hope everything goes well with u guys.
    Extremenc likes this.
  14. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! No camping for me, the house option worked great. Wound up being only about $50/night per guy, way better than a hotel.
  15. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With cooler weather approaching fast, I decided to play hooky from work take a quick little trip yesterday, to sample a couple of roads in Oregon I hadn't yet experienced. I thought I'd done pretty much everything within a few hours of my home here in the Boise area, but I recently picked up the new Butler map for Oregon, and it showed me a couple of new roads. One was Hwy 73 near the Anthony Lakes ski resort area, and the other was Hwy 203 between Union and Keating. Both turned out to be excellent, thanks Butler!

Here's a map of the nearly 300 mile route:

[​IMG]

I love the road between Sumpter and Ukiah. Parts of it are really bumpy, but it's always empty and very scenic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I headed up the hill toward Anthony Lakes. The summit is over 7,000 feet.

[​IMG]

I took this one with the Fuji X100T, which has a pretty wide angle lens.

[​IMG]

This one was shot with my Canon 5D Mark III, with an 85mm f/1.8 lens. It's actually 28 separate photos stitched together in Photoshop (also known as the Brenizer method https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brenizer_Method).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On Hwy 86 between Keating and Richland, which is pretty much the middle of nowhere in the desert, I looked in my rear view mirror and noticed a white pickup bearing down on me at a high rate of speed. My first instinct (of course), was to think "I don't care how fast he's going, no one is going to pass me," and accelerate - but thankfully, a smarter thought took over, which was "Hmmm, might be the law. I'd better slow down a bit." Next thing I know, he's right on my tail, with flashing lights, pulling me over. Oops!

[​IMG]

He said he had me at 72 in a 55 (which, by the way, is a typically ridiculous Oregon speed limit). He took my license and went back to his rig for a few minutes. I figured I was getting yet another speeding ticket. I was stunned when he came back a few minutes later, handed me my license, and just asked me to slow it down a bit. Probably my first warning EVER! I was really grateful, as I don't need any more tickets for sure.

Off I went toward the hill just above Richland, which would be my turnaround point. I always like the views up there. I took a couple of shots - one conventional, one with the Brenizer method.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was awfully tough not to ride back on that road at my typical speed :), but I really didn't want to run into that same state trooper again, so I mostly took it easy.

This was my first ride of that distance on the Tuono, and I found it to be remarkably comfortable, despite the rock-hard seat. And man, is it ever fun in the twisties! Hopefully I'll have time to do a few more decent rides before the snow starts falling.
    Uke, Extremenc, Meriwether and 3 others like this.
  16. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    "He said he had me at 72 in a 55 (which, by the way, is a typically ridiculous Oregon speed limit). He took my license and went back to his rig for a few minutes. I figured I was getting yet another speeding ticket. I was stunned when he came back a few minutes later, handed me my license, and just asked me to slow it down a bit. Probably my first warning EVER! I was really grateful, as I don't need any more tickets for sure."

You can now legally smoke dope, but by god don't speed!:lol3 Glad it was just a warning. I don't have to worry about speeding on a TW (unless it's in town)!

Beautiful scenery!
    Uke, Extremenc and bwhip62 like this.
  17. JCarp90

JCarp90 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This thread is the best. Pictures are insane. The machines are perfect. Just wow.
    Extremenc and bwhip62 like this.
  18. beachz

beachz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great thread, great pics! Thanks for sharing.

Oh, and I thought you might get a kick out of the plate on my truck. :)

[​IMG]
    Extremenc and bwhip62 like this.
  19. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much! I'm sure grateful to live in this part of the world. So many great places to ride - street and dirt.
    Extremenc likes this.
  20. beachz

beachz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After traveling from the east coast to Calgary and back last fall, I can tell you that the wife and I have come to the realization that we are not where we need to be. We are looking to relocate and starting the challenging process of transitioning two careers at the same time. This kind of thread really fuels the fire. Last kid graduates from JMU next spring so this really couldn't be a better time.
    bwhip62 likes this.