bwhip's phototastic two-wheeled adventures thread

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by bwhip62, Mar 18, 2015.

1. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much! Hard to imagine a much better state to ride in than Oregon, so we're blessed to be in this region for sure.
  2. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Definitely. I've only ridden in Idaho a few times thus far, one of the best road trips I've had was with 3 of my buds back in '09 (us being dorks at the top of the highway). We ran up the spiral highway you referenced and then had one of the best steaks on the road at the Konkolville Motel (and great rooms).

The next time you plan a rip through eastern OR, be sure to check out Wilson Ranch http://wilsonranchesretreat.com/ as a place to stay. We've been doing moto-adventures from there for 14 years, Phil & Nancy Wilson are great people and their B&B is one of the best.

And if you're ever looking for intel on fun roads to hit, be happy to help if I can.

[​IMG]
    Extremenc, BobcatSig and bwhip62 like this.
  3. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been working on getting through the break-in period on my new Tuono Factory, so I can ride her the way she's meant to be ridden. Owner's manual calls for not exceeding 7000 RPM for the first 600 miles, and 8500 RPM for the next 600. The area roads typically being wet, cold, and dirty this time of year, I haven't been able to put too many miles on her since the December purchase. However, last Saturday we had a pretty decent day (temps got up to around 60), so I decided to take a longer ride in the afternoon.

Most of the really fun roads in the area are at the higher elevations, which means it's colder and wetter. I decided to ride out toward Hell's Canyon along the Oregon border, where there are some really fun and scenic roads. The first and last hour of the loop are a little flat and boring, but once you get there it's pretty great! I packed along my Canon in a backpack, hoping for some good photo opportunities.

As I approached Cambridge, the snowy mountain tops in the distance were really pretty.

[​IMG]

Not far from Cambridge, a very twisty road takes you to Brownlee Reservoir, along the Snake River at the border between Oregon and Idaho. That's where things get really photogenic, even this time of year before things really start to green up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The roads were still pretty dirty, in fact at one point while navigating the extremely tight twisties along the reservoir, my brakes were pretty ineffective due to the lack of grip, causing me to cross the double yellow line into the oncoming lane (not good!). Thankfully, the roads were pretty empty so I didn't get plowed. I slowed down a little bit after that. :)

I liked the reflections in the glassy river on this one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We did about 260 miles on the trip, which got me past the first threshold of the break-in, allowing me to rev her a little higher. Big difference between 7000 and 8500! The bike is remarkably comfortable on a long trip like that. You definitely feel the wind blast more than on a bike with more windscreen and fairing, but I was still quite pleased with how easy it was to ride that far. Hoping for more good weather in the coming weeks!
    Uke, Micah.Berry, Ozark08 and 7 others like this.
  4. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Great shots and it looks like a perfect day to be out on a big twin like that :rayof

You should seriously send some of those shots to the folks at Aprilia; at least the US distributor. Offer to give them rights in trade for cool bits for your bike :super
    Extremenc likes this.
  5. pwh

pwh Just Farkin' GO

Oddometer:
    sick bike and photo skills!
    Extremenc likes this.
  6. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I like that idea! (though it's a V-4) :)

Thanks very much!
    Extremenc likes this.
  7. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Doh...should have known that (was thinking the old days of the big twin Mille).
    Extremenc likes this.
  8. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The weather has been unusually dry and warm for much of April in our area, which has made for some nice riding opportunities. Recently a couple of buddies of mine and I took a Friday afternoon off and Saturday, to go for a little 400 mile ride on some of our favorite roads in central Oregon. They were just as empty and fantastic as always. A little sand or gravel here and there, but mostly the roads were remarkably clean and grippy.

The original plan was to ride from La Grande over to Ukiah, and then over the mountain on Willow Creek Road toward Condon, where we'd spend Friday night. However, there we found out there was still snow blocking that route, so instead we diverted up to Hwy 74. I'd never been that way before, and it turned out to be awesome! I'll always go this way from now on. 74 between Nye and Heppner is a little bumpy, but incredibly twisty, empty and fun.

[​IMG]

This is along the route between Heppner and Condon:

[​IMG]

We often stay at the little Hotel Condon, which is really charming and nice - absolutely in the middle of nowhere.

[​IMG]

On Saturday morning we rode south to ride the incredible, twisty route between Fossil and Antelope, before circling back toward Long Creek. You can see majestic Mount Hood in the background.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the cool things about this route, is that the terrain constantly changes from desert to forest to prairie and back again.

[​IMG]

The only real downside of these incredible roads in the middle of nowhere, is that, being in the middle of nowhere, opportunities to buy fuel are few and far between. I knew from planning the route that we could have an issue on Saturday morning, since we'd be pushing 160 miles or so before the first fuel stop. Might not be a problem if we rode conservatively, but I don't seem to be very good at that. And, as expected, about 30 miles before Long Creek, my fuel light came on (with a really big hill to climb along the route). I hoped I could make it. We got over the top of the hill and began the descent toward the little town with its single gas station. We got closer and closer, and when the town was just about a mile and a half away, the Aprilia began to sputter, and the motor shut off. Oops. So close, but yet so far! I signaled to my friends, and coasted as far as I could down the hill. Finally I pulled over and stopped. Thankfully, one of my friends brought a couple of tiny fuel cans along, and was able to give me enough to get to the gas station!

[​IMG]

Other than that little misadventure, it was a fantastic trip! Really glad my friends could come along on short notice. Looking forward to more fun rides this spring.
    Uke, Extremenc, klaviator and 5 others like this.
  9. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Awesome:thumb

You just brought back a ton of good memories from ripping around that area, especially Hwy 218 between Antelope and Fossil (and Hwy 74 is a blast). If you haven't done it before, FR52 out of Ukiah toward Granite is an outstanding section of asphalt. Can be bumpy and worn in some spot, but the trip is worth it. You can hit Sumpter from there, or head up Anthony Lakes Hwy (73), though that's probably snowed under right now.

If you get over there again, you should check out the Wilson Ranch B&B in Fossil (http://wilsonranchesretreat.com/). Phil & Nancy are great, we've been staying there for moto-adventure weekends for ~15 years.

Great pics and report, so nice to get out for a rip like that!
    Extremenc likes this.
  10. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, glad you enjoyed it! I've definitely done that route from Sumpter to Ukiah a few times, and always really enjoy it. I'll definitely have to check out Wilson Ranch - thanks for the tip! :-)
    Extremenc likes this.
  11. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It’s been a really busy spring at the office, so I just haven’t had time to take any extended trips on my bike(s) the way I’d like, even if just for two, three, four days or so. Soon, I hope!

With the weather warming up quickly, I knew that if I wanted to get any photos of the beautiful Sawtooth Mountains with any snow on them, I’d have to get out there as soon as possible. So, on a recent afternoon I headed out toward Stanley to go have some fun in the twisties, and snap a few photos.

Total round trip would be around 250 miles, so I decided to take the Tuono. I’ve taken quite a few photos out that way with the Multistrada, and it wasn’t going to be that long of a trip. I knew that the Aprilia would be especially fun to ride on the parts of the journey that are super twisty, and it sure was! And there’s no question that this bike is exceptionally photogenic.

The road from Banks to Lowman along the Payette River is always a joy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I climbed up the steep hill on the other side of the road for the shot above. Not very smart, as it was pretty treacherous! I wound up sliding down on my butt. Hey, as long as the camera didn’t get hurt, it’s all good.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As I approached Stanley, the spectacular Sawtooths came into view. Always majestic and beautiful, any time of year.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I stopped for some fuel in Stanley (always keeping an eye on the fuel level on this bike), and continued along one of my favorite stretches of road in Idaho – Hwy 75 along the Salmon River. SO fun, so scenic. I love how the road is right next to the river, and on a bike it just flows so nicely at speed. Don’t make a mistake, though – the penalty for failure would be swimming.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Out toward the little village of Torreys, there is a brand new stretch of roadway that’s just as smooth as glass, and really fun.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, there was almost no one on the road, which made it great for sporty riding, and for taking some photos.

As always, I’m really grateful to live near such fantastic roads and scenery, and to have the perfect bike on which to enjoy them!

[​IMG]
    Uke, Extremenc, klaviator and 6 others like this.
  12. pwh

pwh Just Farkin' GO

Oddometer:
    Great pics as usual! Question for you: do you prefer the Aprilia now over the Multi? I've got an 1190r and there's a great deal on a leftover 15 RSV. I come from a sportbike / track day background and I miss the absurdity of liter bikes.
  13. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I prefer it for shorter hooligan rides and day trips. But I definitely prefer the comfort, wind protection and luggage capacity of the Multi for anything multi-day. Sure happy to have both! Can't imagine two better street bikes. Now if Aprilia made a sexy looking adventure-type bike with this V4 motor? I'd buy one in a heartbeat!
  14. Kodanja

Kodanja Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey bwhip52, Just read through 5 pages of posts. Really love all your rides, reporting and photos! I've ridden a lot of Idaho roads and some of the Oregon roads you've been on, but need to see more. One of the best twisty rides I've taken that ranks right up there with Rattlesnake and Spiral is....Winchester Grade from Winchester to Couldesac. I too love photography and now getting into video as well. Looking forward to more of your rides! K
    bwhip62 likes this.
  15. juicy flawless

juicy flawless Toxic Raccoon

Oddometer:
    +1:lurk
    :bow
    bwhip62 likes this.
  16. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much! Glad you've enjoyed the photos and stories. More to come, I'm sure! :)
    juicy flawless likes this.
  17. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    Still enjoying your thread.
    bwhip62 likes this.
  18. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally!

Seems like forever since I’ve had time to do a proper multi-day touring ride. Between work, other time commitments and weather, I haven’t really been able to get away for more than half a day or a day here and there (other than the big Costa Rica trip with my boys back in February). My poor Multistrada has been in the barn collecting dust, ready to go explore!

Back in May I planned a three-night trip that would start in Bend, Oregon, and head over to the coast, down to the very northernmost tip of California, and then back up through southern and central Oregon to Crater Lake and a bunch of other cool areas (and twisty roads) I hadn’t yet experienced, and then back to Bend (and home). However, when the May weekend came when I hoped to do it, the weather looked completely wet, so I postponed it. Last Tuesday afternoon, I noticed a window developing in my schedule where I might be able to get away from Thursday to Sunday, and the weather for this route looked perfect. So, Wednesday afternoon I decided it was time, and loaded up that evening.

Early Thursday morning I drove over to Bend in my pickup, with the bike in the back. The road between home near Boise and Bend is pretty much five hours of straight desert, so there isn’t much point in adding that to the ride, especially with a limited time window. I got to Bend around 11 AM, unloaded the bike, and off I went. The first day’s route would take me on a twisty route through forests, farmland, and past lakes and rivers, ultimately winding up along the Oregon coast in the town of Coos Bay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Things mostly went pretty well, and the weather was perfect. Bright and sunny, not too hot. The GPS tried to get me a little lost deep in the forest, and I wound up needing to improvise and ride about 10 miles of dirt road, but I made it back to civilization without running out of fuel or water, so all was good.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Coos Bay was cool and REALLY windy – gusting around 40 MPH or so. I found a place for some sushi which was pretty good, and settled in at the hotel for the night.

[​IMG]

Friday would be around 400 miles, with more great variety and roads I hadn’t yet experienced. I stopped by Bandon Dunes golf course, which I’ve always wanted to play. It looked spectacular, and now I want to play there more than ever.

[​IMG]

The morning really got off to a great start just outside of Bandon – when I discovered a little, exceptionally fun and twisty route – 42S, between Bandon and Coquille. Incredibly fun! Best part was I got to turn around and do it again, as I was going to head down the coast after that.

Most of the route so far along the coast was inland or along bays. A fun road, but no great ocean views to speak of. I stopped in Port Orford for fuel, and noticed a short street ahead that went uphill. Painted on the road in giant white letters was “Ocean View Ahead” or something like that with arrows pointing up the hill. I wasn’t expecting much, but decided to go check it out. Wow!

[​IMG]

As I continued south after that, the views just kept getting better and better. I was tempted to stop again and again for more photos, but the road was lots of fun too! Still, I had to grab a few photos of the magnificent Pacific shoreline, especially on such a beautiful morning.

[​IMG][​IMG]

This is where the Rogue River meets the ocean near Gold Beach, which was gorgeous too.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I stopped for lunch in Brookings, just before I crossed the border.

[​IMG]

I didn’t travel too far south into California, just enough to get on Hwy 197 and 199, and see some of the absolutely magnificent redwood forest. I wasn’t really expecting it at the time, but just started noticing these MASSIVE tree trunks along the road. Incredible!

[​IMG]

Look how small my bike looks next to them!

[​IMG]

Hwy 199 back up into Oregon was fantastic. A little busy in sections, with some construction delays along the way, but beautiful, and when I could open it up, it was sure fun to do so!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Back up into Oregon, I turned onto Waldo Road and picked up the very tight, remote, and twisty 5828 over the mountain and back into California again. I started to get a little concerned about fuel as I traveled further east. I knew I wouldn’t have enough to make it to that evening’s destination of Ashland, OR. As I approached I-5, I noticed a sign that said the town of Yreka was 8 miles in the opposite direction, but I knew there would be fuel there. This turned out to be a really happy detour – as the road between Hwy 96 and Yreka (263) was fantastic (other than tar snakes). Great views along the way!

[​IMG][​IMG]

I got some fuel, water and a snack, and headed back north. The route I was originally going to take was blocked with a detour, so I wound up discovering another really fun, tight, curvy road that was a blast! Old Hwy 99S, south of Ashland. Even though I’d already ridden over 350 miles that day, and it was very hot (mid-90’s), pushing hard in these corners completely rejuvenated me! I circled back, jumped on the freeway for the 10 miles or so into Ashland, where I spent Friday night.

Saturday morning I rode some outstanding, empty roads through the very dense forests northeast of Ashland. I was really looking forward to visiting Crater Lake, as I’d never been there before. I’ve seen photos which looked beautiful, but really didn’t know what to expect.

BLUE was what to expect, apparently! WOW!

As I rode up to the edge of the lake, on the southwest side, this was the first view I got. Photos can’t possibly do it justice. So beautiful, so pure, so darn BLUE.

[​IMG]

I rode to several viewpoints along the west side, and they just seemed to get better and better. There was still even quite a bit of snow up around the top of the crater – in mid-July!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Thankfully, there was a small gas station at the entry to the park, or I might have been in trouble! Next, I headed back to the northwest, along the Umpqua River on Hwy 138. Beautiful scenery and really fun riding FAST. Reminded me a lot of Lolo Pass (Hwy 12) in northern Idaho.

I stopped for lunch in Summerlin, and then headed over to a familiar favorite I’d ridden last year – Tyee Road, also along the Umpqua.

After passing through the little town of Drain, I saw the turn for the Smith River Road, which I remembered as being completely awesome from my ride here in spring of 2015. I was tempted to take it again, but decided to press on toward my evening destination in the Eugene area. Little did I know that I was about to discover something even better!

I’d seen a road recommended in the area called the Siuslaw River Road, which looked like a lot of fun. It turned out to be one of my all-time favorites, especially combined with Wolf Creek Road. I found myself stopping, turning around, and riding sections again and again – which I almost never do, especially after I’ve already ridden 350 miles or so. But it was just that great. I can’t think of too many roads I’ve enjoyed more, and I’ve ridden some great ones!

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Finally I made it to Springfield, where I spent the night, and had a really great burger at a brewpub by the hotel.

[​IMG]

Sunday morning, I got up very early (around 5:15 local time) so I could get an early start on my ride, since I still had a couple hundred miles to ride to Bend, where I would load up my bike and drive the remaining five hours back to home.

[​IMG]

It was cool and very gray, but I got a very nice “wake up” on the Big Fall Creek Road, along the Fall Creek Lake. It was really early AM, still kind of dark, and the road was empty. I had a blast riding at a very spirited pace, warming the edges of my tires.

I passed by a covered bridge near the lake, and had to grab a photo.

[​IMG]

Next, I rode a very long, narrow, ultra-twisty and beautiful road through the deserted forest, from Westfir to Cougar Reservoir, taking in some magnificent forest and river scenery along the way. I fueled up one last time in Rainbow, then rode the highway back to Bend, where I loaded up and drove home.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

All-in-all, one of my most fun (solo) rides ever. Pretty much perfect weather, amazing variety, unbelievable scenery, and tire-shredding fun. In fact, my rear tire just barely made it through! When I left it looked pretty decent, but after nearly 1300 miles it was definitely done.

[​IMG]

I’m really grateful that I was able to get away for a few days to unplug, twist the throttle, and snap the shutter a few times! Now, back to work…
    Uke, klaviator, ZiaThunder and 5 others like this.
  19. JCarp90

JCarp90 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Your photos are always incredible. Seriously awesome stuff.
    bwhip62 likes this.
  20. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much! :)