bwhip's phototastic two-wheeled adventures thread

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by bwhip62, Mar 18, 2015.

1. motocopter

motocopter ˙˙˙ƃuᴉɥɔɹɐǝS

Oddometer:
    Nice ride report. Really enjoyed it. Pictures are huge compliment.

From my September 2015 adventure that cut across Oregon, I recall the message painted on the asphalt indicating an ocean view ahead. Took nearly the same picture you have! If it weren't for the painted message, I would have keep going.

Camped at Clyde Holiday State Recreation Park along OR-26. Nice, grassy sites for a tent. Being a Sunday, no restaurants were open. Got my first gas stop there in town, and was surprise when a gal came out and stood next to me at the gas pump. Odd, I thought. Then she explained that customers are not allowed to pump their own gas. Seems they and other stations make exeptions for motorcyclists.

At one point I rode south through Willamette National Forest along Aufderhelde Drive and noticed moss growing on the edges and center of the road. (looks like you were on the same road) Sometimes the moss was down the middle of the lane making it look like a green two-track trail.

At Coos Bay, did you see all the Ponderosa Pines being loaded on ships?
  2. Chickenstrip

Chickenstrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ahhh, if only I could wake up tomorrow morning on the West Coast, my bike ready for a few days of throttling through twisties. Thanks for the excellent report! Beautiful stuff.
    bwhip62 likes this.
  3. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Didn't see the pines being loaded, but there were definitely some big cargo ships.

Goofy that Oregon won't let drivers pump their own gas. Glad they make an exception for motorcyclists, though more often than not, they at least insist on getting the process started for you (I guess because it's so complicated and dangerous!).
  4. MotoVentures

MotoVentures Stromaholic

Oddometer:
    FANTASTIC images! Makes me want to skip work and go ride....RIGHT NOW!
    bwhip62 likes this.
  5. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! That seems like the ultimate compliment. :)
    MotoVentures likes this.
  6. MotoVentures

MotoVentures Stromaholic

Oddometer:
    Looking at those was a wonderful "mental vacation"!
    bwhip62 likes this.
  7. FailureDrill

FailureDrill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When you get a sec, can you outline your photo equipment you bring, particularly when you tour on the Multistrada?
  8. rroger

rroger Enjoying the Ride

Oddometer:
    Great report/pics...You've found some of Oregon's finest roads. I've been there/done that:) Thanks for sharing! Some of my favs or are 218/19/26 from Shaniko to Dayville, Hwy 12 from Lewiston to Missoula, and Hwy 96 from Yreka to Willow Creek.
    bwhip62 likes this.
  9. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most often, I bring the Fuji X100T, which is fairly compact and a fantastic camera. If I have space in the luggage and anticipate really nice photo opportunities, I switch to my DSLR - a Canon 5D Mark III, usually with the 24-70 f/2.8 lens, which is quite versatile. Some of the photos are actually composites of a bunch of individual images, stitched together in Photoshop. For example, this one is actually a composite of 42 separate images! Just too much there to fit in one frame.

[​IMG]
    Uke, Ozark08, arjones and 2 others like this.
  10. FailureDrill

FailureDrill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome, thanks. I need to start doing more composite photos. Do you use a tripod for shots like the one above, or just manual settings and snap away handheld?
  11. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, all manual and handheld.
    Uke likes this.
  12. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did a nice little 200 mile loop in central Oregon today - Baker City to Sumpter to Little Alps to Union, Medical Springs, and back to Baker City. So many fantastic roads over there. In just that short loop there were forests, deserts, rivers, tight twisties, wide open spaces, and more. And this bike! My all-time favorite. So fast, so sexy, comfortable, fast as hell, and the sound of that V4 is just ridiculous. I LOVE IT LIKE NO OTHER!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Uke, klaviator, pwh and 2 others like this.
  13. ducatirdr

ducatirdr Over 40 years riding on roads.

Oddometer:
    Just came across this thread when I was searching for Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory and Akrapovic photos. The bike looks great with the gold rims. I was curious which tail tidy you went with. I have 300 miles on my new Tuono 1100 Factory and you are so right about it being the hardest bike to stay within break-in suggestions. Thinking about going with the Akra pipe as I have one on my 60th Anniverary R1 and even my GROM. Beautiful bike and excellent pictures. Thanks for posting.
  14. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I've got the Evotech Tail Tidy https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=7680. Fairly easy to install. And yes, I can't get enough of this bike. Just incredible in every way.
  15. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Days are getting cooler and shorter (boo!), so even though I should have stayed at home and worked on some home repairs, I just had to go take a ride. Repairs tomorrow! Once again I decided to go sample some of my central Oregon favorites, a couple of hours from here. Did a 250 mile loop that was fantastic. So much greatness along this route. A bit of everything - deserts, forests, lakes, tight and twisty, fast and flowing.

[​IMG]

Weather forecast was for cloudy and cool - but dry. Rain was due in around 9 PM, so I figured I was safe. WRONG! Forecasters missed it by 11 hours or so, apparently. Early in the ride (just north of Medical Springs), there were some clouds, but still pretty nice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

However, as I got closer to La Grande, the skies started to get really dark and gray. I was trying to decide if it was just going to be just gloomy, or actually wet. Soon I had my answer - a consistent light rain which I really wasn't prepared for. I had dry weather gear on, and soon started to get quite wet and cold. I was sure hoping that my new Kreiga backpack was fairly waterproof, as I had my Canon DSLR inside (it did just fine). I was a little less than halfway into the ride, and trying to decide if I should turn around or continue. The skies seemed a little better to the east, so I kept going and hoped for the best, with frozen fingers.

I stopped in Joseph for some late breakfast, but mostly to get some coffee and warm up and dry off! At that point I seemed to be outrunning the storm, and it was mostly dry. By the time I finished, the rain was just starting in Joseph. I was glad to at least be a little warmer and drier, anyway.

I stopped for a couple of photos along Wallowa Mountain Road, despite the raindrops, just because it was so beautiful there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I got further east, and to lower elevation, the weather got warmer and drier, which was nice! Just above the little town of Richland, I stopped at one of my favorite photo spots. This is actually a composite of nearly 40 individual images:

[​IMG]

All in all, an outstanding ride despite the dodgy weather. At times along the way I wasn't so sure, but overall it was really fun. This bike is so much fun that I love every opportunity I get to twist that throttle, and hear that magnificent V-4 howl. Very grateful!
    Uke, Ozark08, Meriwether and 7 others like this.
  16. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was out there in June on my way to Alaska and spent a night in Joseph. That's great country! I especially like the high desert! Thanks for the reminder that I need to get out there again!

Mike
    bwhip62 likes this.
  17. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My pleasure! :)
    mikegc likes this.
  18. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just found this thread from a link you posted in photos and read through the first page. You go on some great rides and take awesome pics. Like you I love to mix riding and photography although my photography is not on the same level as yours. I did notice that we tend to take the same types of pictures. For example:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I get the chance I'll read through the rest of this thread. You are making my desire to head back out west a lot stronger.
  19. bwhip62

bwhip62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much! Glad you like the thread - and have such great taste in destinations. :-)
  20. btrrtlwtr

btrrtlwtr Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    bwhip62

fantastic photos great rides . Thx for posting .i did Oregon and Washington a few years ago on a goldwing .Saw the red and blue lights in my mirrors too . Lucky like you were .Road some of the roads you have . Crater lake and mount st helens were amazing . Fantastic part of the country you live in .Really want to go back someday . living and working in northern ont ca requires a little longer trip.