CA BDR solo. Terrain videos. Dec 2020

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by chrisparks, Jan 8, 2021.

1. chrisparks

chrisparks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I dreamed of getting a motorcycle for 20+ years, and finally had the money and a place to park it last spring. I’ve had my eye on that KTM 790 adv R since it’s inception, and I became obsessed. I purchased a month into COVID, began riding all the dirt roads I could reach, and started to gather what I needed to try out a BDR route. Little did I know, my obsession would intensify through this process, and my life would completely reshape around it. By June I had done the WA BDR, and in August I rode down to Vegas and back home on the NV BDR and ID BDR. All solo, as I only have friends with dirt bikes, and they all tried to convince me against what I was trying to do. They’re finally beginning to understand...

Anyway. I had a construction project in San Diego in October-November, and I decided that there was no way I couldn’t do the CABDR if I was going to be so close anyway. After the project finished up and I made my preparations, I decided I would ride the first several sections (Yuma to Primm) as a big single day ride, starting in San Diego and ending up in Vegas at a friends house (14hr trip). There, I prepared for the rest of the route and took care of mechanical issues. The section from Primm (Vegas for me) took 3 more days, and then I rode back to Vegas on the NV BDR.

I didn’t take many pictures, because it was enough for me to just grab bits and pieces with the GoPro, and taking out the iPhone and removing gloves for shots can be a pain.. I made short videos of the other BDR routes, but each one got a little better. And the CA BDR is so far the best. I think I did a good job of capturing what the terrain is like in each section. I kept the first part of the ride as a separate video, so that it doesn’t become too long. The longer one is more refined and interesting. I wish I could have made it shorter, but I didn’t have the heart. I already trimmed out hours of footage!!

Anyway, I hope this helps someone who may be trying to see what the terrain is like, or anyone who just likes to watch these kinds of things.

Here you go:

HBSURFDAD, goodquest, Emb120 and 5 others like this.
  2. nzedjared

nzedjared Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice editing Chris....and even better riding.
  3. Lost-Again

Lost-Again Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of the best I've every watched!
  4. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    You're a madman. You are marvelous! Please ... keep making videos.