CA to AK on a SYM Symba

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by DaBinChe, Jun 21, 2010.

1. AirborneAndy

AirborneAndy Vagabond

Oddometer:
    :clap Unbelievable!
  2. Clem Kevin

Clem Kevin Nude With Boots

Oddometer:
    Did you happen to see my Blueprinting professor on an orange Triumph Tiger with his wife on the back? I think he had a friend on a BMW too?
  3. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I believe so.
  4. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    tire change in the rain and mud
    [​IMG]
    @ Waton Lake
    [​IMG]
    good eatin
    [​IMG]
    cold day, was chilled for the first time on this trip. Normally when I stealth camp I don't have a fire but I found this spot that already had a ring so I made it smaller and safer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    BugSpatteredJacket likes this.
  5. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    The owners manual says oil change intervals are 1000kilometers so every 600miles. I don't have time to do it every 600miles that means every other day on this trip. I extend it to 1000miles so about every third day. SYM says use 10w-40 but that is what the bike is design for, around town riding. The bike was never ment to be a cross country cruiser or go near WOT for 12+ hours a day. Now I know why harleys use 20w-50, air cool engines just get HOT. When oil is new I can't tell the difference but after about 300miles I can tell the difference between 10w40 and 20w50.
  6. skysensor

skysensor n00b

Oddometer:
    Amazing adventure! Best wishes for a safe return.

When you could get around to it, I'd be interested in seeing an inventory of what you packed for the trip. I'd also like to read about how you got hooked up with Sym/Carter...and of course, your "final verdict" on the bike.

Kudos.
  7. nathanthepostman

nathanthepostman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome, ride safe my man and don't go bouncing that thing off the limiter. Cheering you all the way.
  8. Mike Lynch

Mike Lynch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did you change the tire because of a failure, puncture or tear?

OR

Was the tire worn to the point where it was unsafe?

If so, how many miles did you get out of the rear tire before it needed to be changed?

Best regards,

Mike Lynch
  9. rawdog

rawdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sweet!

:lurk
  10. 50X50

50X50 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, I'm heading home from a trip with my 990 in the toyhauler and I stop to get gas about 12:30am in a small town in the forest of Washington. I see this guy gassing up a 100cc Symba. He's loaded with gas cans extra tires and tons of other stuff. After talking to him and offering him a ride home, coincidentally, we were both going to the same city in NorCal (he said no...that would be cheating). He had bugs all over his shield, he said he'd been riding in the rain and camping all the way in his route from home to the Arctic Circle & back. I decided he was my hero. This is the kind of stuff that we live for and I was so stoked to meet DaBinChe doing his thing!

Keep it up DaBinChe, you are an inspiration!

[​IMG]
    PM me when you can...Jeff
  11. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Home now.

Mt. Saint Helens. This area was were I got stuck and lost on the way north.
    [​IMG]

On the ATTACK
    [​IMG]

chopped end
    [​IMG]

Root end
    [​IMG]

gear and tools besides what you see in other pics. The only thing I didn't use was the water filter, that would be the thing I would leave home next trip.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. ronnath

ronnath Long timer

Oddometer:
    way to go, DBC, glad you're back safe and sound.

great report, thanks.
  13. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tires wore out. I did swap out the stock for the Gazelle at Whitehorse then put them back in at Whitehorse again. Only had one tube puncture and that wasn't cause by the tire getting punctured...crap got in during a tire change and rubbed a hole in the tube. Stock lasted about 4k, gazelle lasted about 2k but that was accelerated by gravel roads. Tread past the wear indicator bars and almost flushed with the water channel.
  14. 50X50

50X50 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sweet ride, congrats!
  15. Perry B

Perry B Perry B

Oddometer:
    A FUN read....
    YOU are the man!:clap
  16. C_THRU_U

C_THRU_U Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been meaning to ask some of you that have done alot of camping up in the middle of nowhere- Any problems with bears?! I guess I'm a woose. I have never heard of anyone having a problem with critters in the night. ? you?
  17. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only times that I have ever had issues with bears trying to eat my food are in highly populated places like Yosemite. On this whole trip the only critters that bugged me where bugs.
  18. aktwventure

aktwventure Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, can you give us a synopsis of how many miles, days, gallons, costs, etc.; and how many miles left on the Sym? Would you do it again? Again, congrats!:clap l
  19. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    got details on the bike here: http://symplifylife.com/category/symba-to-alaska/

I'll write up a trip one later.
  20. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    So to fill you in on some of what happened during the trip and some folks that helped me out.

This is Rovic he was the Canadian I met in Whitehorse outside the Yamaha dealership while I was changing tires and wire tying my exhaust. By the way the guys there were very helpful, they did all they could to give me a hand.
    [​IMG]

We talked and he found out that I needed a welder so I can fix my exhuast leak. Calls up a buddy, Wolfie, that has a welder.
    [​IMG]
    Both guys are pilots and are motorcyclist too. Got Wolfie a 6pack thank you for using his welder.

A few days prior to getting to Whitehorse, half way up the Cassiar when I found out I had the exhaust leak, I got bit while wire tying the exhuast. At first I thought I got bit by a mosquito. My hand got all swollen and a numbing sensation. Never had this kinda off reaction from a mosquito bite before. I was told mosquito bites up here feels like getting hit by a baseball bat.
    [​IMG]

A couple days later just after Whitehorse I ran into this lady, Linda, who looked at my hand and told me that it wasn't a mosquito bite but a no-see-um. She said it gives a tingle numbing sensation before I even opened my mouth and I knew she knew what she was talking about.
    [​IMG]
    She told me about a local native remedy for easing the bite. Tried it and the next day my hand was almost back to normal.

I got one more blog up at www.symplifylife.com