CA to Pittsburgh on a CSC

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Spoilyfarts, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great lineup of places to visit...remember, it's gonna be roasting hot in DV, Bonneville, and Moab.

Average temp in DV in June = 110, in July = 116....Moab June = 95, July = 100.
  2. Spoilyfarts

Spoilyfarts whomp whomp

Oddometer:
    @outdoorsman thanks!

@mnmlst I have a neoair I've been using for the last few years and that will be the main duty pad for this trip. It's only 2 weeks, through civilization, so I'm not really concerned about it popping.

I am not taking any filtration with me for the same reasons, but I will have a 3L pack and likely some extra storage for camp.

I wear glasses/contacts, but don't really want to rely on contacts when we have to cover a good bit of distance every day. I do have prescription sunglasses which have taken a direct bee hit, but they aren't safety rated.

I am worried about the seat on the SG250, but I think the TT250 well be so much worse. I have a sheep skin for my big bike and long trips which I might try to pack.

@Tewster2 the heat is going to be the biggest problem, for sure. Have you had any experience with the Heat Out gear Cycle Gear and RevZilla sell? It sounds good in theory, but so does a cooling vest or ice bags.
  3. mnmlst

mnmlst mnmlst

Oddometer:
    July... I stopped at the Kingman AZ BK and filled my jacket/pants with ice from the soda machine, at Bullhead City I walked into the river with all my gear on inc. helmet and stood there for ten minutes, in Yuma a guy we never met got his hose out and let his kids spray us down in the front yard, fully suited up (they thought it was hilarious). I remember him saying “Yeah around here we don’t ride when it’s this hot.”

There’s a fair amount of crappy water in the US even at campgrounds and rest areas. Get a Sawyer and mount it in line with your Platy/Camel. Improves the taste and keeps you from getting the funkyitis from iffy water.

Headlamp, not flashlight.

Sunscreen, hand sanitizer, lib balm, butt powder

Test your toiletries, especially baby wipe brand at home for a few days in a row. I go hypoallergenic, no alcohol, no dye/perfume, just a little lanolin.

and, remember, when the ‘fun’ is over (probably just east of Denver), there’s still a shitload of miles to Pgh, on a 250, after a week of getting your brains boiled, sleeping in the dirt and eating gas station hot dogs. plan for it. You won’t die at sunset on a redrock mesa from a scorpion bite as the music swells and the credits roll, you’ll doze off and drift into the rusty front bumper of a pig truck in Columbus and have your funky teeth shoved through your 3day old underwear...
    Red Card, falcn and Spoilyfarts like this.
  4. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Lets Ride! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spoilyfarts likes this.
  5. Spoilyfarts

Spoilyfarts whomp whomp

Oddometer:
    @mnmlst we have a 3 day layover planned in Nebraska to help deal with some of that fatigue. I stopped using a flashlight after I killed my last one with spit, its headlamps only now.

@outdoorsman that is exactly what I was looking for with a measurement. Thanks!
    outdoorsman and mnmlst like this.
  6. outdoorsman

Oddometer:
    I rode the SG250 to work yesterday. I got it up to 70 mph on the odometer in 5th gear pinned. Somehow I don't think I was going that fast because it was a city street and not the highway. :lol3 Bike has 80 miles now.
    Spoilyfarts likes this.
  7. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Tried a cooling vest once...too much trouble..and when the humidity is high don't work at all....hydrate and if you get warm wet your riding shirt then put your jacket back on with the vents closed...you'll be cool for about an hour then repeat...I carry a small battle of distilled water with me when it's gonna be hot...distilled water doesn't leave any residue in my clothing.

Here's a good read from LD Comfort...(slightly edited)

"Temps reaching 100 degrees are also not a problem when handled correctly. The high heat is where many riders make mistakes and place themselves in danger. Pour water down the sleeves and into the neck of your riding shirt. Zip up your outer jacket and ride with a little bit of air entering at your sleeves. That air will be immediately cooled and funneled into the main part of your jacket so you can ride in a bubble of cool air. Keep that cool air around you by making sure not to open all your vents.

Here is a big secret. DO NOT WEAR MESH when the temps get past 100 degrees. There is no control of the airflow and soon you will exhaust all the cool air. Think of this: You are riding in your car with the air conditioner running. You are comfortable. Now roll down all your windows and let out the cool air.
    Happy now? Same thing when you ride your motorcycle".

I also wear a cotton "do rag" thingy under my helmet...I wet that and it keeps my head cool for about an hour...and it keeps my helmet liner fresher longer.
    Spoilyfarts likes this.
  8. Spoilyfarts

Spoilyfarts whomp whomp

Oddometer:

I have 2 jackets that I wear normally, Icon Mesh AF and Revit Sand 3, that I have been debating on which I would rather take. I was leaning towards the Mesh AF because mesh, but you are the second person I have heard say minimizing air flow at high temps is the best way to stay cool. The Sand 3 also has a rain liner. I think you have helped me make another decision now that I won't need to be thinking about later. Thanks!

Do you find a higher flowing helmet is better than a quieter helmet in these situations? Think Bell MX9adv vs Shoei GTair.
  9. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Any helmet that is all day comfortable will work...wear a head scarf and wet it when your head gets hot...be sure to close the visor when it's really hot to keep the hot air off your face.
    Spoilyfarts likes this.
  10. Spoilyfarts

Spoilyfarts whomp whomp

Oddometer:
    @outdoorsman have you been following any break in procedures for your SG250? Did CSC recommend anything to you?
  11. outdoorsman

Oddometer:
    Just the normal break-in stuff like varying throttle and shifting through the gears often. No sustaining freeway speeds for long periods of time, etc. I'll change the oil at 500 miles but it's going to be a while. Too many toys and too little time.
  12. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Seems like the CSC doesn't have many dealerships on your route.
  13. Spoilyfarts

Spoilyfarts whomp whomp

Oddometer:
    There are no CSC dealerships, that is part of why they are so cheap.

Can you comment on the oil when you do get to the changing point?
  14. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    If there are no dealerships how does the warranty work and benefit you? Will you sell the bike after your journey?
  15. Spoilyfarts

Spoilyfarts whomp whomp

Oddometer:
    You can either take the bike to an authorized service center or they'll send you the parts to fix it yourself. The wording on their site isn't exactly specific, but I am guessing you would have to provide proof of defect for said parts, which is easy enough. If we do run in to problems that need new parts and the delivery is too slow, the plan is to leave the bikes at the ranch and fly home.

James is planning on selling the TT250, I might use the SG250 for commuting or just running in to the city cause it is so small. Or teach my girlfriend how to ride. This is part of the trip I haven't planned for yet.
  16. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    If you do plan to resell I would think the CSC would be a hard sell and bigger $ loss.
  17. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tried that earlier this year, and even with the wrists open and all the vents closed I was dying from the heat.

Charles.
    Spoilyfarts likes this.
  18. Spoilyfarts

Spoilyfarts whomp whomp

Oddometer:
    My plane ticket has been purchased!

Things are afoot.
    outdoorsman likes this.
  19. Red Card

Red Card Second chances

Oddometer:
    Last year I rode my RX3 from NH to the top of Nova Scotia and back. About 2500 miles round trip mostly on dirt roads. I camped most nights and had the bike loaded down. The bike performed great. Out of all the upgrades on the bike the best one for this trip was the Seat Concept seat which made all the difference for many hours in the saddle. 20180627_185550.jpg 20180626_093650.jpg 20180526_095500.jpg
  20. Red Card

Red Card Second chances

Oddometer:
    Although the stock panniers are small I was able to squeeze the following gear into them. If not for the large duffel bag on the seat I would have had to cut back on a lot of my gear.

Left Pannier
    Water bottle
    3 MRE's
    Granola bars
    Oatmeal
    Mixed Nuts & Dried fruit
    Coffee & Tea
    French press
    Camp stove w/cookware
    Stove fuel
    Dish soap & sponge
    Flask with Vodka