CA to Pittsburgh on a CSC

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Spoilyfarts, Jul 24, 2019.

1. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    How did it manage all that weight?

Charles.
  2. Red Card

Red Card Second chances

Oddometer:
    I assume you are asking me.
    The RX3 struggled a bit on the longer uphillls as compared to my friends GS1100 and KLR650. They were nice enough to slow down for me. On some of the rougher roads I did bottom out a few times but no damage done.
    Below are links to the video of the trip if anyone cares to watch. Please don't comment on the music. I know some of it is bad techno crap.
    Part 1

Part 2
  3. Spoilyfarts

Spoilyfarts whomp whomp

Oddometer:
    @Red Card - this entire trip idea was spawned because of the RX3. When they were guest announced we thought it was the best thing ever because it offers so much, for so little. As such, I'm happy to hear you had no problems with it. I have also heard that the suspension it comes with is mostly good, but something a lot of people tend to upgrade.

Do you by chance have weights for how much your loaded gear weighed? I've recently fallen down the cheap, Amazon ultralight camping gear hole myself, there is so much to be found!
    Red Card likes this.
  4. Red Card

Red Card Second chances

Oddometer:
    The RX3 suspension is not great by any stretch of the imagination but you get what you pay for. The only changes that I made was to put in heavier fork oil and adjust the shock for the additional weight. If you're mostly riding pavement the stock oil will do you fine.

Tonight I'll remove the gear off of my KTM 690 Enduro and weigh it. It is all the same gear that I had on the RX3 last year. I too took the cheaper Amazon path when buying some of my gear. Where I don't skimp is on safety gear or my sleeping bag.
  5. Spoilyfarts

Spoilyfarts whomp whomp

Oddometer:
    I had too many cold nights growing up in the scouts to take a cheap bag, so I understand that entirely.

Was the fork oil something you changed at home or on the road? This is pretty much going to be a fly and drive, so i may just have to suffer with soft suspension.
  6. Red Card

Red Card Second chances

Oddometer:
    The fork oil change was done prior to
    The fork oil was changed before the ride.
    Here are the estimated weights of the gear.
    Left pannier: 9 lbs
    Right pannier: 11 lbs.
    Top box: 7.5 lbs.
    Duffel bag: 17 lbs
    Camp chair: 2 lbs
    Machetti: 1 lbs
    Total: 47 lbs

I weight 165 lbs. Not including riding gear.
    Spoilyfarts likes this.
  7. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any updates on this thread?
  8. Spoilyfarts

Spoilyfarts whomp whomp

Oddometer:
    CSC recommended not buying the bikes until 1-2 months before the trip, so that won't actually happen until mid Aprilish of 2020. Pretty much we're just buying all our gear now and testing what we have.

I've personally been hunting used 32oz MSR fuel bottles, but they're not exactly abundant. I bought one for $5 recently.
  9. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get the 1.5L Primus bottle instead. They're $18.80 on Amazon right now. I like them better than MSR, the caps are FAR easier to take off (even though they're safety caps) and they don't squirt me with fuel when the pressure releases. Every MSR fuel bottle I've owned has ended up with a cap that's impossible to remove. The caps swell with the gasoline or something, and become ridiculously tight.

Only downside is if you have an MSR stove, the pump is not compatible with the Primus bottle. BUT, the Primus stove is a bit better than the MSR stove, and the pump is all metal where the MSR's pump is mostly plastic. So if you don't have the stove yet, the Primus is the way to go.

Charles.
  10. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    I live six miles from Azusa. I think CSC distributor is owned by Berts Mega Mall's brother. (Also in Azusa). I'll research some more...I would like to go take a look. We have a pair of Yamaha XT225's right now for motorhome use...but darn the CSC seems inviting.
  11. Spoilyfarts

Spoilyfarts whomp whomp

Oddometer:
    I've had a wisperlite for years, but I hardly use it now. The MSR bottle is definitely one of the worst caps to get off, I agree, but we'll have something to pry with, so I'm not THAT worried about it. I am really only looking for some bottles that are about the size of a Nalgene that I can store extra fuel in - the MoskoMoto Rekless 80 has pockets that hold bottles about that size.

@TUCKERS - Go check them out! I don't think I've heard anything negative about them from people that actually own them.
  12. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    I know they had a couple of organized Baja runs. They looked like successful fun.
  13. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gotcha. Looking forward to your adventure. Not a canister cooker? I hate fuel bottles.. I store my canister in my cookset.
  14. Spoilyfarts

Spoilyfarts whomp whomp

Oddometer:
    @dp064 - yes to the canister cooker. I bought one off a friend in Germany for $20 that he bought off a friend there for $20. Turns out it's the cheapest one you can buy on Amazon, but it's never been a problem and it always starts the first time - just a little slow in the wind. I don't use my whisperlite anymore because it is tedious and finicky and I've almost set buildings on fire with it. I have set tables in fire with it.
  15. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ha! ..same.. I have a Kovea that's great at starting fires not related to cooking! Not sure if you plan to use the CSC luggage rack or not but FWIW the top measures appx. 9 5/8 wide by about 9 1/2 long. The standard top box from CSC is 14 7/8 wide by 11 long and with the lid closed, should be about 7 tall, all inside dimensions ..and they taper down a little towards the bottom of the box.
    Spoilyfarts likes this.
  16. Spoilyfarts

Spoilyfarts whomp whomp

Oddometer:
    For storage, I plan on getting the SG250 rear rack and using a Reckless 80 - and then hoping it all actually fits. My cohort has a Giant Loop Great Basin 68 for the TT250. It will be an interesting trip trying to get everything on such small bikes. And then get them through the Rockies.
  17. RojoGrande

RojoGrande Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have 3 CSC bikes. 2 RX3's and a tt250. All 3 have a little over 4K miles on each of them with 0 mechanical issues. Steve and the crew at CSC are a class act. Great customer service. They stand behind their product.
    buckthedog, dp064 and Spoilyfarts like this.
  18. buckthedog

buckthedog Eastbound and down

Oddometer:
    I'll ad what @RojoGrande said. I also have an RX3 that I haven't gotten to put a ton of miles on last year due to work, new grandkids, and giving cpr to a ghetto-rescue KLR. I'd put this on one of the dedicated CSC threads, probably the RX3 one as it's the biggest. IF you do have a problem, I like to think any CSC owner would come help out. Be it a trailer, a meal, a shop...whatever. I'm still waiting for an RX3 to do the TAT so at least I could read about it.

Personally, I think you guys won't have any problems with these bikes and will have the time of your life. The good thing about CSC and the gang there is knowing you're heading out on a trip like this, they'll likely pay special attention to setting the bikes up right, unlike the megastore that makes the sale and could care less if things are loose, broken, mal-adjusted or whatever.
    dp064 and Spoilyfarts like this.
  19. darmst6829

darmst6829 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    RX3's are unburstable. I rode an Yamaha 225 to almost destruction in one day, handle bars bent, wheels egg shaped from loose spokes and i never crashed it. My RX3 has had nothing come loose ever.
  20. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Wow! I love my XT225's...……..