Cabo Wabo '08

Discussion in 'Americas' started by zman88, Jan 3, 2008.

1. zman88

zman88 Adventure Capitalist

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to make a late season trip from CT to Cabo San Lucas and back, most likely around the time of Thanksgiving. I could use some advice on what is needed to get across the border interms of permits, insurance, etc from those who have done this previously.
  2. whiteknucklemc

whiteknucklemc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am also heading down to Cabo in November and plan on catching the 1000 on the way down. I believe you need a tourist visa but not a vehicle permit in the Baja. I would also recommend a passport and (2)copies of everything.
  3. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let's try this in Trip Planning.
  4. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Are you planning to cross the top of mainland Mexico, or take one of the ferries into Baja, or are you planning to cross into Baja from the US?

The reason I ask is that the paperwork varies a bit, depending on which way you go.

If you're going deep into mainland Mexico, you're going to need an importation permit for your bike.

If you're just planning to roll through Baja to Cabo, the only thing you're going to need is a Tourist Visa to allow you to [legally] cross into Baja Sur. That Visa costs about $22. You'll need a passport to get this done. Also, you'll need Mexican Insurance. It's not really insurance as you know it, more like a bail bond. Get it, it's cheap enough.

If you need to go into the mainland, I'll talk you through what you need to do get that done.
  5. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    IIRC, the Tourist Zone for Sonora is extended all the way to Guaymas, at least that's where they stuck up a few or more "End Sonora" signs.
    No nessicito papel (you know what I meant, anyway) :D

Sta Rosalia <Ferry> Guaymas
    I think it runs every other day...if it ain't broke....or something like that.

Unless ferries give you massive wood, I'd skip em myself and just ride it all.
  6. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Good point, Bob. The Sonora Only thingy requires no papeles.

But get your Tourist Visa anyway beforehand, as getting one at the Baja Sur/Norte border can be a real PITA if your timing is bad.

7. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Bruce el Toro Grande,

I'd like to get some other riders like dtop1 and Gustavo involved to create a FAQ for Mexico - entry requirents for both bike and body by-state, insurance suggesttions and other stuff.

We've all seen how many times the basic questions are asked, and the search function here doesn't always bring forth new life and great happiness.

A collaboration would be good.
  8. SenorFeliz

SenorFeliz hangin' out

Oddometer:
    that would be an awesome idea if someone could do that. my nephew and I are planning on Baja for January '09 and i am looking at every thread trying to get the info we need and get it organized. you folks have so much knowledge on this area that anything you can share with the rest of us is very much appreciated.
  9. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Check your PM's. I'd be happy to collaborate.

:thumb
  10. zman88

Oddometer:
    Like it sez above...
  11. zman88

Oddometer:
    Both Actually. The plan is to ride to maybe Mexicali and cross there, ride to Cabo, and take the ferry from La Paz over to the mainland on the way back.

12. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Cool! :thumb

Mexicali is a good place to cross as it's 24 hr. Get your Tourist Visa for you and the Importation Permit for the bike/mainland in Mexicali. Don't forget to have the IP cancelled when you cross back into the US.

By the way, get 180 days for both (that's the limit). Better too much than not enough. :nod BTDT.
  13. zman88

Oddometer:
    Come on folks, keep it coming! How 'bout some other tips to smooth out the processs....:D
  14. daifuku950

daifuku950 n00b

Oddometer:
    Anyone read today's San Francisco Chronicle on crime in Baja? I wouldn't let these scare stories stop me from going, but perhaps some useful things to watch out for. Clearly, its the most touristy areas closer to the U.S.-Mex border that are targeted, but how likely is it that one of these bandits will target a motorcycle over one of them nice Jeeps or RVs? We can't carry nearly as much valuable gear.

Some tips for the ferries:
    1) Bring your own tie downs to keep your bike upright during the voyage as the ferry operators have none.

2) Bring your own food on board. I was starving, and had to eat the meal they include with the ticket despite their being a dead cockroach in my rice.

3) Bring your sleeping bag with you after you secure your bike. If you take the overnight ferry, you will most likely be sleeping outside because the inside is packed completely full and smells really bad. Sleeping on the deck is actually really nice as long as you have some padding and covers.

4) All this comes from my summer 2005 expience taking the La Paz - Mazatlan ferry (18hours). I took this one instead of the La Paz - Topolobampo (6 hours) because I planned to continue south to Guadalajara. For anyone planning a similar route, I highly recommend taking the La Paz - Topolobampo ferry, and then riding south from there. It was an infinately nicer ship with a free buffet meal that was actually quite nice. However, it is possible that they rotate the ferries to different routes, then my info is a little out-dated. Actually, the only way I know the difference between the two ships is the crew originally directed me on to the wrong one (even though my ticket clearly shows where I am going!). After realizing the mistake, I was moved to the "correct" ferry, but after getting on the ship I purchased a ticket for, I wished I had stayed on the other one.
  15. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    :D
  16. Wulfe Ryder

Wulfe Ryder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, if your going to Cabo you may want to change your scedule so that you're there around October 13th. Sammy Hagar (Ex Van Halen lead singer) has a Tequila bar there and has a few live gigs there to celebrate his birthday.