CADS (Classic, Adventure, Dual Sport)

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by waybill, May 2, 2013.

1. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Everyone seemed to have a good time today. We started out with some grilled burgers, hot dogs, soft drinks, all served up by the shop staff. Then we were regaled by Rich on some of the basic riding techniques that would be used today. Once everyone was thoroughly confused, we made our way out to the parking lot for some cone drills. I forgot to get the camera out for that part, but did get some shots after we moved to the dirt portion.

Started with some basic log crossing drills.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then a nice muddy rut. Good concentration here.

[​IMG]

Nice body english.
    [​IMG]

Oops! :D
    [​IMG]

Then we had a little mound to work on body movement & throttle control. Of course, some were a bit more enthusiastic with the throttle than others. :D

[​IMG]

Excellent form.
    [​IMG]

Once we were done, we adjourned to the shade where names were drawn for some generous prizes offered by BMW of Jax. And so with that, after a great afternoon of practice, it was time to clean up, load up, & head for home.

A big thank you to Don & the staff at BMW Motorcycles of Jacksonville for their generosity, food, & facilities. And of course thanks to Bill, Rich, Dave, & Larry for putting this all together. Lastly, thanks to all that came out today. Hope you all had a good time. :thumb
  2. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    Nice shots Danny. Even without having an exact plan, everything went pretty smooth, and I think the majority either learned some new stuff or got to hone up on things they probably don't practice much.

Thanks for being the 'demonstration' guy, definitely helps watching someone else do it first, and it was a nice touch doing the cone drills on the RT, helped drive the point home.

Thanks everyone that helped out, I think we managed to create a few converts, which was basically the concept. :clap
  3. kaosrider

kaosrider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well we had a really good turn out for lunch. All in All I think it went great and everyone got their money's worth :D

[​IMG]

Then by design, we thinned out the crowd by having them listen to "off road training" tips

[​IMG]

Not enough folks had left yet so Bill tunred it over to me :evil

[​IMG]

I got right to what I am good at :evil

[​IMG]

Once we got the crowd cut down by half it was time to start the drills. We began in the parking lot. Danny started off by showing everyone that you can even do it on an RT

[​IMG]

At this point I think we had any beginners looking at the boats instead :lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We tried to act like we where doing some training :freaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well everyone really surprised us and did very well on the pavement

So it was time to go to the dirt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ruts where a lot more challenging then they look in these pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lot of guys helping, and that is the owner of the dealership on the right

[​IMG]

Wait until you see this guy on the dance floor, he can dance :wink:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was a great team effort and a great day.

Cheers to everyone :1drink
  4. Day13

Day13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where is the carnage from the mudhole? I hope Todd is still editing! :D
  5. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    Redneck speak for "red head". :D One, since it actually has a red head like a Ferrari Testarosa, and two because the pipe burns the crap outta your left leg every 20-30 minutes (about how long it takes to forget each time). where's Dr. Pavlov when you need him : )

Finally got out on the Terra yesterday for some serious bonding and which resulted in several conclusions, the most important one being, he likes it!!! The engine is a little jewel, the old F650 Rotax has been tweaked into a thorobred and it loves to run. On the road, I think no other thumper is it's equal for smoothness, power, or delivery, the faster you go, the better it gets. It does have some low speed stalling issues but you can ride around most of it and I believe there are a couple solutions, as idiosyncrosies go, I'll take it in view of the upside.

The chassis has a bit of a quirk, but so far every dualsport I've ridden does too, by nature, dual purpose equals compromise. On road, it starts to move around some above about 75mph, nothing disconcerting, just noticable. It's worst on the Interstate where there's a lot of dirty air (but no worse than an ST1300 I had), far less so on two lane but enough to keep you in the ride.

As most know, in Florida, we have at least three varieties of sand, the 2in. stuff on top of graded roads, the usually 4in. deep two track, and then there's the dreaded bottomless sugar found mainly you-know-where. :evil

I wasn't there but did encounter the first two varieties. This thing does something I haven't experienced on any other similar sized bike, above about 55mph on the aforementioned 2in. stuff it starts rocking side to side and just gets worse with more speed, actually it's a little scary. I didn't expect 950 or 1150 type stability but 640, XCountry, and I believe DR's and KLR's have it beat here, although I'm not sure a KLR will go that fast.. :lol3 In the 4in. stuff it's OK but (and Jimmy Lewis mentioned it in an article) the front end is a little heavy, although not as bad as the old F650's and Dakars. A 640 kills it here but then a 640 absolutely sucks on the road so whaddya want : )

I was running 32-35 lbs. so that may have been contributing, next time will lower some to see if it helps, but it's what I usually run so is sort of the old standard. Anyway, it's a great little bike, mainly because it's just plain fun to ride almost anywhere.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Maybe it wouldn't be so scary if you'd keep your hands on the damn bars! :D
  7. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    Oh, that. :rofl
  8. slimy

slimy Wanabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Late post but a big thanks to Waybill, Huzband, Kaosrider, and Meeker for putting on a great training event at the BMW dealership this past Saturday. It was great fun and we keep the carnage to a minimum. :muutt

Going the National Motocross Championship Races in Tennessee this Friday and Saturday. Anyone else going?? :ear
  9. Bobby Ginger

Bobby Ginger Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    :dizave Have a great time, be safe, and send pictures :freaky
  10. D6066

D6066 Lost in the Woods

Oddometer:
    Reminder:

Our weekly meeting is tonight at the Saucy Taco.

The restaurant is in the Publix shopping center at the corner of Racetrack Rd. and SR 13.

PM me if you need detailed directions.
  11. pmb

pmb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have no real desire to move to Florida just yet anyhow but, I must say I am very envious of the tight group of guys that make up the CADS. You all seem to have mucho fun.

Anyway, I was invited to the Trans Florida GS ride back in March and had a great time. I boasted about putting something together up north to a few in the group so, trying always to be a man of my word I'd like to cross post my plan here.

By the most ridiculous chance you are up in New England in July and want to explore some dirt, let me know.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=834476#Post834476

Pat
  12. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    We appreciate you and Jim making the trek down here for the T/F ride Pat, and I know some of us would like to reciprocate, but I might be heading west then, will have to see. The route sounds great, have you ridden the whole thing, it seems quite a ways from where you are. I checked out the stopover spots, they look real nice, well-planned.
  13. pmb

pmb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No pressure at all Bill, just wanted to toss the CADS some return hospitality. I'd much rather be out west myself! :wink: I've ridden most of it on an F650 I use to own, no sugar sand that I can remember! :D On some of the Moosehead Lake sections, I've only traveled them in the winter by snowmobile. I do know there is car traffic in the summer so it's passable.

Probably, possibly, maybe should have used the word scouting in the title but I think it will be fine! :freaky

Pat
  14. Bobby Ginger

Bobby Ginger Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    I spent the weeknd at Ginnie springs with some friends. A few miles down 121 I sport this group of guys. I was thinking is that Larry? A good size group from the BMW club was doing an on road ride. Larry said he was thinking about doing Osceola for the next dirty dozen ride. :ricky

[​IMG]
  15. woodsatyr

woodsatyr Kitty Boy

Oddometer:
    :wave

I loved the last x-FL ride! I was too whupped to do the return route but by fall I should be able to do better.

Wished I coulda done the skills clinic! That would have been great.
  16. D6066

D6066 Lost in the Woods

Oddometer:
    When: Wednesday, June 5th @ 7pm

Where: The Saucy Taco (Racetrack Rd and SR13 in the Publix shopping center)
  17. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    Hey girl, try to come by the meeting tomorrow night if you can, or any other time too.

Yeah, we've been working on some new stuff for the T/F and hope to put something together for the Fall, looking forward to it, should be fun! :thumb
  18. DunlopC

DunlopC Canadian Import

Oddometer:
    I see we have a 70-80% chance of precipitation :evil so I'll arrive using four wheels.

If anyone is still thirsting for training after the GS event at BMW Jacksonville ... this Sunday June 9th, 2013 there is a Motorcycle Safety Foundation DirtBike School Closed Range Exercises novice class starting at 08:30am in New Smyrna Beach, FL 32168 (at least a 90 minute drive South from Jacksonville) and I can gladly answer any class questions tonight at the Saucy Taco.
    You can check out DirtBike School promotional videos here http://www.dirtbikeschool.org/Videos.aspx BUT do not be fooled as all riding for this class is conducted primarily in a flat dirt lot (no jumping, whoops, etc.).

For registration or questions please contact Jeff (aka Krautbikeman here on ADV) via his website = http://www.adventureridertraining.com/ the phone number is listed at the top center of the page.
  19. DunlopC

DunlopC Canadian Import

Oddometer:
  20. DunlopC

DunlopC Canadian Import

Oddometer:
    Will any CADS be attending the River City Dirt Riders monthly meeting tonight at 7:00pm?
    http://rcdr.org/