Cafe BMW's - advice and please post some pics

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by mutineer, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Flash412

Flash412 Elk Biffer

Oddometer:
    They've never taken me more than five minutes. It is simple if you know a few tricks. I just knock them out with a brake spoon. If, for some reason that doesn't work, get a washer that has the same OD as the race, grind two flats on it so it will pass through the ID of the race, set it flat on top of the race, put a big bolt through the washer from inside the steering head, place a drift in the center of the bolt and hit it with the biggest hammer you can find.
  2. mutineer

mutineer pierpont lives

Oddometer:
    dude, I tried it all

dry ice worked on the top one, cool trick that

I just mangled the bottom one and had to clean up the frame with a dremel

I regret taking them out because they were in oerfect shape but with the fram going to a powdercoater I figured I needed to fully strip it
    the homebrew slidehammer sounds like it would have worked fine, wish I had tried that
  3. mutineer

mutineer pierpont lives

Oddometer:
    more air = less torque?

what am I missing? of course me missing something obvious is par for the course

I am going to keep the motor mostly stock, no 336 or hi comps

the cafe treatment will be primarily cosmetic, you are right there is just not a lot of speed to wrung from that motor and I like the power it makes well enough.

I just want it to breath mo betta and maybe put some dells on it, maybe not. Throttle response is lame on this bike

I will move the MC up on hte bars - I'll use the regular guages because they will be under the fairing anyway

Ikons are a plan

Jtwind's bike is pretty close to what I have in my minds eye, but I want to lightent he look with aftermarket signals, bobbed fenders, no side refelectors, wrap the headers and out on some dunstall knockoffs (might even consider some supertrapp shorties)

my motor is a 1980 with the boyer can so I'll upgrade the coils to some dynas

Probably get a whole new harness for the bike, not crazy about teh idea of using a 25 year old harness from a bike that sat for about 8 to 10 of those years

Probably do the flywheel

as an act of cafe blasphemy I'll probably keep the luggage racks but I'll black them out too

I want an good looking old school rider
  4. dino2000

dino2000 No Bad Daze

Oddometer:
    Mutt, I'm doin' the same thing w/ my R80RT. When I got it, the fairing had already gone into the trash. I ordered some S type bars from Eurotech yesterday. They make two widths in the S bars, one for early(drum) bikes and one for Later(disc) models. I had the same thing happen w/ the steering head bearings(almost). They were all but seized up when I got the bike and I could not figure out how to get those races out so I left them in and just replaced the bearings. Guess I dodged the bullet on that one. I also ordered some Dunstall type mufflers for it. I saw them on a /5 and they looked bitchin'. I put some fork boots on the front end while a I had it apart and got the whole thing back together w/o reinstall the signals.......... Fuck it! I'll take some pics of the new lower bars when I get them on this weekend.

This is what it looked like when I got it:
    https://dino2000.smugmug.com/gallery/326328/1/43486189
  5. ducsingle

ducsingle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Read Snowbum's web-site if you're interested in details on pod filters versus stock airbox.

For improved throttle response, consider a Mikuni conversion kit from Stan at Rocky Point Cycles. Nice guy, and he rides a /5 and a Commando.
  6. RocketJ

RocketJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  7. Eurobiker

Eurobiker Vintage Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  8. mutineer

mutineer pierpont lives

Oddometer:
    oh yeah

a lot like that :clap :clap

that is a great looking bike

tell us more man

R75 /6? with a cafe style bits from a /5?

great looking bike, I am saving the pic

Dino, that blue airhead is gonna be sweet too

man I dig these bikes
  9. Eurobiker

Eurobiker Vintage Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    Looks to be a 75 or 76 with a 73 Toaster tank and side panels. Looks great. :thumb
  10. RocketJ

RocketJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    75 R75/6, 90S top end, Short /5 subframe, 14.5" Konis. All from junk. Needs better brakes.
  11. RocketJ

RocketJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, Small alloy aftermarket signals and Triumpd taillight.
  12. dino2000

dino2000 No Bad Daze

Oddometer:
    what's that fender Rocket? I want to get rid of that giant plastic wheel condom on my /7 and go w/ sumpin like that.
    Dino
  13. life101

life101 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've built several BMW cafe bikes - mostly on /5's, but the R100 is easy to modify into a proper cafe-style. Feel free contact me about sources on parts - I've got lots of them.

I've also got a large selection of period aftermarket tanks for BMW cafe bikes - can send pics if you'd like.

Joey in Dallas
  14. mutineer

mutineer pierpont lives

Oddometer:
    well hell yeah

lets see what bikes you have or have done?

website for the parts maybe?
  15. zzzak

zzzak Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I found this elsewhere on the web,you might get some ideas from it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. EuroFreek

EuroFreek Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 74 90/6 that is ripped apart for mods so no pics right now-sorry!
    my mods are a Mac 2 into 1 pipe- better sound and I noticed an increase in revability and power, BMW 1/4 fairing, S bars, upgraded front rotor and stainless line, and braced swingarm. Haven't seen anyone with the brace in the pics but it made the bike wallow less in the sweepers. I would add the frame braces and a front fork brace- makes a big difference in the handling.
    I'm going the other way with my /6- a solo seat-old harly springer and wide bars, maybe even floorboards. I may put the 1/4 fairing back on, don't know. It's gonna be my wierd cruiser- got enough bikes that go fast
  17. SoCal gsrider

SoCal gsrider SoCal GSRider

Oddometer:
    How about some info. on those chrome signals? Where did you get them? Do they fit right onto our airheads? /6s? And how about that Corbin seat? Any mods needed for that? Thanks. Great bike.
  18. RocketJ

RocketJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The alloy turn signals are made by K&B? Lot's of sources. The rears are monted in holes in the subframe, the fronts on shortened stock mounts.
    The Corbin drops right on, as the subframe is from a SWB /5. If you don't use longer shocks it will handle "funny".
    When you order from Corbin, you can get the seat anyway you want, but you must be insistent and get transfered from the regular order folks. I wanted no pleats or piping and the online and regular customer service people said it was "mandatory". I told them it was not "mandatory" that I buy the seat...no pleats, no piping, thank you.
    BTW, This thing can be changed back to stock appearance in about twenty minutes.
  19. barbarosa

barbarosa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Resurection - I bought my old airhead 1988 R100GS back... that I had bent up the frame and put the motor into a rolling 1986 R80RT, so it now has in parts, a billet tripple clamp and san jose frame brace, deep oil pan and oil cooler... I need to go thru it and redo all motor seals gaskets and rubber, and in short strip all apart and rebuild for kicks... re looking at bikes for ideas

what happened to the projects listed here? anyone?

:clap

so now i have 1999 R1100S, 1985 K100RS, 1988 FrankenR100, 1974 G4Trail Boss 100 Kawasaki...

anyone want to buy the 1985 K100RS?

20. paulages

paulages n00b

Oddometer:
    does anyone know what model this bike was built off of? it's amazing. some GS? 90's monolever?