Cafe BMW's - advice and please post some pics

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by mutineer, Mar 7, 2006.

1. phactory

phactory Motorcycle Rescue

Oddometer:
    It started life as an R90S.

PhacK
  2. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Uuunnhhh.... I am confused..... are you serious about starting life as a 90S? :eek1

I guess I could see the motor and maybe the main frame/backbone, but then.... front end? monolever, looks like a paralever? modified (make that deleted) subframe?
  3. odbuffalo

odbuffalo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think there was an earlier post by jtwind.

"Believe it or not it's a r80g/s."
  4. Wirespokes

Wirespokes Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it started life as a 90S, but it's been extensively modified at this point, if you couldn't tell. :lol3

Check out the team incomplete web site - the whole story is there.
  5. paulages

paulages n00b

Oddometer:
    wow, it's hard to believe that started as an R90S. i think i'll have to start hunting for a beater to build off of...
  6. Hawk Medicine

Hawk Medicine Coyote's Brother

Oddometer:

This bike was built by one of the guys who frequents the Boxerworks board.

He built the bike over about a years time and ducked a buncha bullets through creative thinking. Instead of cleaning the cases ne painted them with hi temp paint. Instead of cleaning the lesters, he painted them white. Most of the aftermarket parts are from Ebay and the mufflers are probably JC Whitney. Tarrozi rear sets and clip ons ...

He did spend some quality time designing his electrical system. IIRC, all thejunks under the seat and the works really first rate.

I love that bike!
  7. beemercafe

beemercafe Cafe-racer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This is a photo of my 1982 R65LS cafe racer, me and my dad built it took about 6 months, only change is i just fitted a set of mikuni's and am currently tuning them
  8. Nick Makwell

Nick Makwell Bavarian Murder Weapon

Oddometer:
    What size Mikunis?

I'm thinking of replacing the Bings on my R65 as well (they're in bad shape after sitting outside for 2+ years, no it wasn't me!)

Nice bike - looks good!

Is that a QLD rego?
  9. Hawk Medicine

Hawk Medicine Coyote's Brother

Oddometer:
    Sorry to cut up your post ducsingle but I wanted to add a couple of comments.

"Rearsets will make the already clunky BMW shifting even worse. Also, the RAASK rear-sets I installed many years ago on a /6 required machining to fit properly."

With a decent, well adjusted set of rear sets installed, an Airhead will shift just as well as it does with the stock hardware in place. If one wants to use the Raask hardware, it's important to buy the correct mount for your bike but other than that and adjusting them properly, they're a no-brainer.

If there is a criticism if the Raasks, it's that fact that thedesign is pretty much Old Tech and a bit more complicated than necessary but they can be made to work very well if one follows the instructions and the correct mounts are available from Omars Rearsets. I like the rear sets made by Motocicli Veloci mysely, so thats whats on my bike but YMMV.

"The Corbin seat you reference is available stock for a SWB /5. I think Corbin will make one to fit a LWB bike, but they say it looks a little weird."

No kidding... That Corbin seat mounted in a LWB bike looks just awful.

"The 336 cam is NLA from BMW, at least for /5, /6, and /7 models. Motobins might have some stock left. Installation will require swapping pulling the clutch to install the later model oil pump."

The small seal style 336 can is NLA from BMW but last I heard you could still source them from Motoren Israel (http://www.motoren-israel.com/) and Siebenrock.

Someone was just telling me that the 336 has become very expensive lately but I have a new one on the shelf that cost me about $230 from Chicago BMW, admittedly, a couple of years ago. I also think that with some creative thought and the selection of the correct parts, it's possible to run the large seal 336 cam in an earlier bike. Think about it...!

"Koni shocks are NLA. Hagons and Ikons are good. Ohlins are better but expensive. For the front end, go with a RaceTech kit."

Ikon shocks ARE Koni's. They're just made better. :lol3 Fortunately, we have some better choices available these days for not a lot more money. I installed new Ikon's on my bike and I hate em. Very stiff, very harsh and they only come in a 13" length for Airheads. Modern shocks perform much better and are capable of controling the rear end, while still delivering a smooth ride. Wilbers and the new YSS (?) appear to be the best value/performance bargain these days.

"Steering races - - - buy the Ed Korn tool."

Absolutely! The Ed Korn tools are worth the extra money and they'll last forever. I've been buying Ed Korn stuff for a long time.

PS: Shit Canning the air box and going with pod filters is probably the dumbest thing you could do to your bike but if you absolutely must, there are plenty of guys hanging around here who'll tell you how wonderful having less HP and torque are, while your bike wears out at a rapid rate, so go ahead. This is all about having fun.

OTOH, it would make a lot more sense to think up a way to get more cold air into the engine and put that scheme into play! :wink:
  10. simonboxeproject

simonboxeproject Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi this is how far i have got (if i can upload images)
    in short, frame split re-jigged and made 20mm wider at swing arm pivot.
    mono arm made 20mm wider
    side brace to frame and lower sections removed
    ally subframe
    usd forks 16inch front wheel, 18inch x4.5inch rear wheel[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  11. wildwestrider

wildwestrider Pack-Mule Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Is that an off the self seat/pan? Looks like a Corbin tag on the side of it.

BC
  12. bill42

bill42 Old-School BMWs

Oddometer:
    whoa! Where did this thread come from? Before my time is where! Last post was back in 2010. That indeed is a off-the-shelf seat from Corbin, but if you go into the airheads sub forum one level up, you will find all the current threads for café airheads. I only say this randomly as I was searching for the chicks on old bikes thread!