Cafe racers [pics]

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by crazydrummerdude, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Husky360cr

Husky360cr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    correct OEM Gold Star Clubman clip-on (bar) lever perches are permanently welded to the bars
    Your options are limited....you'll never be comfortable no matter how hard you try :arg
    NoApes, JagLite and pekingduck like this.
  2. Thumpermeister

Thumpermeister roost maker

Oddometer:
  3. pekingduck

pekingduck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not a fan of JPN Replicas. Rode one once and it would shake the fairing so much below 2500 rpm, and resonate so much noise back all the time. It was geared tall, which made it worse at low speeds. My 750 Fastback shook its front wheel at idle but was glass smooth above idle.
  4. roadholder

roadholder Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. Toinoze

Toinoze n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi fellas,
    New to the forum from Atlanta, GA.
    Some gorgeous cafe racers here. Leave you with my Big One....('94 Honda CB1000). First pic taken this past weekend at DGR's 2020 Ride Solo....together in Atlanta.
    DSC_2549.JPG IMG_7699.JPG IMG_1105_zps8411c744.jpg thumbnail.jpg
  6. Thumpermeister

Oddometer:
  7. 893cv

893cv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a copy of Motorcycle Sport Quarterly from 1971 that has a review of a then new Seeley Condor. It belonged to an airline pilot who lived in NYC and used it as both a street bike and track/race bike. A few years ago I was up at Mid Ohio for a vintage event. As I was walking through the pits at the end of the day a friend pulled me into a garage and there sat that same Condor. Still with the same owner, still being raced. Nice Bike!
    Honda-50 likes this.
  8. pekingduck

Oddometer:
    Are you sure they were OIF conical brakes and not Matchless G50 or Manx conicals? OIF had barely been out a year, and the brakes were unproven, and the backing plates did not secure to the fork leg in a familiar manner.
  9. arbalest

arbalest Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not positive, but I was a bit of of an Anglophile at the time and thought I knew what I was looking at. I'm going to look at both hubs again.
  10. arbalest

arbalest Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The rear hub definitely looks like OIF hub. The front brake, not so much.
  11. pekingduck

Oddometer:
    OIF.jpg
    People use the OIF rear brake as a very good, but heavy, Manx replica by milling the holes and maybe adding cooling rings behind the sprocket. Not sure if they can use a 2LS front backing plate on the rear or not. Someone converts them commercially - very pretty! Makes me want to build a bike around one.
    JagLite, numbat and Honda-50 like this.
  12. pekingduck

Oddometer:
    When I was in junior college and afflicted with poverty, this was the 3rd bike I owned. Bought from a neighbor for $300, it was candy apple red and rusty. Put on some cast-off fenders, Rocky TT pipes and mufflers, with VW turn-up tips connecting them. I rattle-canned the tank and sidepanels, and the brake plates. Crashed it chasing a Kawasaki on Mulholland Drive - watched as he over-cooked a corner and went off into the dirt, but missed my line as a result, and went into the dirt on the next corner. 0045 (3).jpg
    Bors, Versysguy, Honda-50 and 4 others like this.
  13. Husky360cr

Husky360cr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    for sale on US eBay right now
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-Norton-Manx/184464911652?hash=item2af2f72d24:g:oocAAOSw84BfVVf8

[​IMG]

1949 Norton Manx with knucklehead motor . Very unique Cafe Racer built in early 70's by machinist / metallurgist / artist William Selby .Beautiful melding of Form and Function ; that mating of Knucklehead engine with Norton Manx drive train . Lived good portion of her life on Nantucket Island , Mass. Fully operational in her maintained original condition . Had a ride on her upon return from Vietnam in 1973 and that memory never faded , fast forward about 40 years ; Owner passed in 2011 , she gets out a bit more now for local jaunts but her speed is more than I can handle . Looking for a good home . Good fortune on your bidding .

On Sep-29-20 at 12:57:37 PDT, seller added the following information:

Some more history for you nostalgia buffs out there ; William Selby worked with Frank Piasecki , a pioneer in Aircraft development . Hence the precise and creative metallurgy found in this creation . Wheel hubs are magnesium and fuel and oil tanks are aluminum .

On Oct-02-20 at 17:41:11 PDT, seller added the following information:

Original owner called this machine... " My Poor Man's Vincent "
    Philthy64, NoApes, JagLite and 3 others like this.
  14. motorcyclefanatic

motorcyclefanatic The name says it all

Oddometer:
    Sitting at $19.6k right now. I paid more than that for pirate-ship Harleys back in the day. May need to have a go at it.
    XT Traveler, Philthy64 and JagLite like this.
  15. Thumpermeister

Oddometer:
  16. pekingduck

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, very conveniently located rags to soak up the blood when your shin hits the pegs from kickstarting whilst astride the cycle. They used to be old t-shirts, but have gotten some use.
  17. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    WTF is that ? !!! Twin carb alloy head A10, BSA front end, but I have no idea what the frame is. Possibly an early semi unit engine, maybe an AMC oil tank.
  18. CrapKerouac

CrapKerouac Long timer

Oddometer:
    That tank is something else. Has anyone seen one of those around at swap meets or eBay? What do the Brits say, as rare as hens teeth?
    MotoChuck250 and pekingduck like this.
  19. NoApes

NoApes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I always love these bikes where the builder colors way outside the lines!
    Honda-50, Husky360cr and pekingduck like this.
  20. NoApes

NoApes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It looks like a Norton Jubilee frame.
    Honda-50 and pekingduck like this.