cairns greater region riders

Discussion in 'Australia' started by soul_adventurer, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Reefdog

Reefdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks, that's how ya do it
    I had to goggle most of that message to understand imgur etc
  2. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    Haha. Ok. Imgur is the free photo host site that I use to store and upload photos to forums such as this one here. Once you have opened an account with then you can upload photos to your account.

[​IMG]

You select a photo you want to post on this forum (for example), when it opens you get a screen like this below.
    Highlight the box (see highlighted BBcode box), copy the URL and paste the URL here.

[​IMG]
  3. Reefdog

Reefdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got it
  4. Kirksout

Kirksout n00b

Oddometer:
    First time on here so not sure how this works.
    Keen to get out for a ride cairns long weekend 20 - 22/07/18. Thinking Atherton to Irvinbank- Lapa trail- Pedford- Mt Mulligan- Cooktown crossing- Camp at Maytown crossing- old coach road- Laura- battle camp rd- camp at lions den - coast rd - creb track - Rex range - black mountain rd - Tinaroo ck/ mt Edith rd.
    Let us know if your interested. I'm on a KTM 990 adventure.
  5. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Can we have a get together to discuss our plans for going to the OCR some time soon?
    Just over a month away till time to start packing 'n' stuff.

I dont know where to suggest though, some where not to loud and in town so its equal distance for most

Hows that?
  6. dirty dennis

dirty dennis are we there yet

Oddometer:
    Well you lot seem to be to busy laing on the beach or sumfing so I'll make a suggestion of from hte coast to plenty H/way by some way or another ( you lot should be able to cook up a few back roads to fill in the time.) Possibly Alice depending on who wants to go where, south past Chambers Pillar, finke, Mt Dare. Leave south to Oodnadatta then Marree then firure out wheather you want to head up via Birdsville or down to Lyndhurst ( camping at Farina one night) then you can head up the Strez to Innamincka & on to Windorah or over to Thargo Just a suggestion. Its freezing down here, Ive had a bit of time to think about it!!
  7. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Iddy and I both thought about the same going in a clockwise direction. But hay, gotta have a plan first to be able to change it.
    I too thought about chambers pillar and the geographical center (of gravity?) But that is about all so far.

Then i would head towards alice for supplies and then towards Isa.

Thats my plann so far
    DESERT WIND likes this.
  8. Checkmate3

Checkmate3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Phil,
    I'm completely open to any route. I'm happy just to take it day by day and wander in the general direction of Mt dare.
    There is a small group (so far) who are planning to leave Cairns around the 30th of July, we have the happy option of being able to take our time. My default plan at this stage is to sit around the fire in my back yard on the day before departure and over a couple of sherbets and a Hema map work out a rough plan.
    All welcome.

iddy
    DESERT WIND likes this.
  9. dirty dennis

Oddometer:
    I've played that game. I'll be there on the 30th!!

As good a little fire as I've ever sat next to
    DESERT WIND and Checkmate3 like this.
  10. DESERT WIND

DESERT WIND Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The West of the worlds largest NINJA ROO colony
    CHECKMATE this works for us but might meet up at Hughenden or may be Windorah not sorted yet need to know some dates from the gang within a day or two will watch on hear see how we go
  11. sitdownman

sitdownman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Still following the progress - I won't be able to make a planning meeting but still hoping to link up with you guys - can meet you somewhere around the weekend of the 4th unless I get a few more days off prior.
  12. Checkmate3

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you'll be coming along Henry.

iddy
    DESERT WIND and sitdownman like this.
  13. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I haven't made a proper plan yet, I shall be doing that over the next few evenings, but looking / thinking I shall be at Winton on the afternoon of sunday 05-Aug-18. I think that is where we met last time?

We could meet there and then heard to the Lark Quary Conservation park and camp there?
  14. sitdownman

sitdownman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep - we met at the BP in Winton.

You can't camp at Lark Quarry unfortunately https://www.npsr.qld.gov.au/parks/lark-quarry/about.html#camping_and_accommodation

Depending on how far you have come to get to Winton and where you want to go you could consider Diamantina NP but it is 460kms from Winton and a further 230kms to Bedourie for the next fuel??

We have done this in the past and I arranged a fuel drop at Diamantina NP through the mail man at Winton.

Another option but only 10 kms from Winton is https://www.npsr.qld.gov.au/parks/bladensburg/camping.html

It appears that you can do a loop through Bladensberg and then head towards Lark Quarry.

The third option if you didn't want to go to Lark Quarry you could consider going to Opalton where there is camping (could still loop through Bladensburg NP) and then on to Jundah.

:cromag:dunno
  15. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    ^thanks
    Will look at it over the next few evenings.
    I am loosly planning to leave Cairns on the saturday lunchtime or so, and first night at Undara.
    Start the trip and get the slow twisty stuff out the way, but with out rushing on the first day / morning
    However, am flexible, Reefdog may have some ideas as well
  16. DESERT WIND

DESERT WIND Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The West of the worlds largest NINJA ROO colony
    I was just FINKing. I have to check out the Geographical centre of OZ it is very close by near Fink
  17. dirty dennis

Oddometer:
    Organise something guys.
    It got up to 8 here today. I'm coming, ready or not! !!
    DESERT WIND likes this.
  18. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Morning All
    I had a convo with @sitdownman last weekend about goign to the OCR and back.
    The below is a brief of our loop plan, more detail to follow.

Saturday 04-Aug - I shall depart Cairns early lunch time and camp overnight either at Undara or The Lynd
    Sunday 05-Aug - Ride to Winton via Hughenden and meet at the servo. Sunday night, camp in Bladensburg national park
    Monday 06-Aug - Ride to Betoota. Yes, this is a fairly long day but we did this route in 2016 and whilst great landscape, want to make progress to be able to see new ground
    Tuesday 07-Aug - Ride to Marree. Yes, another long day but also been here before
    Wednesday 08-Aug - spend a bit more time around Marree. Donald Cambell took Bluebird (the car) through there and I would like to see if there is any more information / artefacts etc (need to do research) (also the locomotives and mosque)
    Thursday 09-Aug - Follow the Old Ghan Route and camp at Anglebuckina bridge - new ground - new things to see (maybe) and after two big days a slower day will be good.
    Friday 10-Aug - Continue to Mount Dare with the intention of arriving mid afternoon
    Saturday 11-Aug - at the OCR
    Sunday 12-Aug - leave Mount Dare and head to Finke and the Lambert Center. From Finke either up the Finke track or Kulgera and up the highway to Alice. There is another route but needs some research to establish what the route is and local knowledge. If going up the Finke Track area, Chambers Pillars are on the way. Overnight in Alice.
    Monday 13-Aug - resupply in Alice (food and stuff if not done sunday) then either up the Plenty Highway to Tobermory or Sandover Highway to ?
    Tuesday 14-Aug - Tobermorey or ? to Isa and Cloncurry. From there, Sitdownman will head east ish and I shall head northish to Burke and Wills
    wednesday 15-Aug - Burke and Wills to Normanton and then either to Dunbar and towards Chillagoe or along the Gulk Developmental towards Cairns.
    Thursday 16-Aug - Return to Cairns

The alternate with some extra days is maybe to Lawn Hill after Tobermorey or ? which will probably add in two days. But after that many days, I am thinking I shall be done. I may have an extra night on the way back some where.

@Checkmate3 I think we shall probably catch you and your mob up on the way, of course depending on the route you take. I would like to come over when you and @Magurk and @dirty dennis and who ever else get together - please could you pm details?

I shall put up more details (distance / fuel stops / overnights etc) later.
  19. Reefdog

Reefdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    good plan
    will see you in Marree, Tuesday
    not going via winton, water stinks.
  20. Checkmate3

Oddometer:
    Message sent Phil

iddy