1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

cairns greater region riders

Discussion in 'Australia' started by soul_adventurer, Jan 19, 2012.

1. dirty dennis

dirty dennis are we there yet

Oddometer:
    Your name came up in conversation today:D
  2. Checkmate3

Checkmate3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bloody paparazzi, always on to me.
    Were we on the Gold Coast, talking to the fuzz?

iddy
  3. dirty dennis

Oddometer:
    :nod:nod

something about gliding instead of flying
  4. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    This just in from Checkmate3

31/08/18

Four of us left this morning bound for Mount Dare but Tony ( Tiger Tony because he’s mounted on a Triumph Tiger) turned right on the highway while Paul, Dennis and I headed north.
    Tony prepping the Tiger :
    upload_2018-8-1_17-22-15.png

He’s off to Charters Towers and will catch up with us later. Dylan got involved in buying a house and had to stick around Cairns and will also catch up somewhere down the track.
    So it was the two KTMs and the KLR that crossed the Daintree today in a loop through the World Heritage Area.

Saw a decent sized croc sunning itself on the bank of the Bloomfield River, iPhone picture no good but Dennis gave it a go with a zoom.
    We fetched up at the Lion’s Den Hotel, got here about 4.00. Accommodation is basic but survivable. The rooms are about the size of a prison cell but not as well furnished, and you know you’re in for an interesting bathroom experience when, as you approach the ablution block, you see a sign apologising for the ‘state of the facilities’ and promising to build a new one soon.
    However it was a very pleasant ride via Black Mountain Road and the Bloomfield Track except for the hundreds of tourists crawling along between the ferry and Cape Trib.
    Still planning to dawdle along tomorrow, might stay at Irvinebank on the ‘town common’.
    Zero reception here so I’ll send this when we get some Telstra service.
    Dick0 likes this.
  5. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Hay Kezza
    Am leaving Saturday, meeting Rex, heading southwards, meeting Sitdownman and then heading more southwards
    See if I can find that shoe of yours!
  6. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    No, worries - still have the other one so may have a set again if you find it. Have a great ride.
  7. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    Fresh in from Checkmate3

Left the Lion’s Den before the locals stirred
    upload_2018-8-2_17-42-56.png
    Breakfast in Cooktown and then turned south aiming for the ‘Cooktown Crossing’ on the Mitchell River. Encountered this critter on the road just outside town
    Paul reckoned it was a type of python. I reckoned it was a soon-to-be-dead-black-headed snake. It didn’t want to move off the bitumen and my throwing rocks at it only seemed to make it cranky.
    So we left it.
    I’m constrained by libel laws and regard for public sensitivity so can only show Paul getting dressed after he and I had a swim at the crossing.
    We followed the track through Kondaparinga and Mt Mulligan stations to Dimbulah. Stopped to check out the monument to the 75 miners who died in a massive explosion at the coal mine at Mt Mulligan in 1921.
    Turned off the blacktop at Petford and arrived at Irvinebank with plenty of time to pitch our tents before dark.
    upload_2018-8-2_17-42-57.png
    Shame about the crowd of grey nomads who took up most of the space.
    upload_2018-8-2_17-42-57.png
    They were getting in early for some music festival coming up on the weekend. Friendly enough folk but I’m not big on crowded campsites.
    Paul left us this morning, heading back to Mount Isa on the big Kato. He’s going to throw the EXC500 in the ute, drive down to Birdsville and ride across the desert and meet us in Mt Dare.
    I had to duck back down to Cairns ( forgot the iPod-three weeks on the road without music was a prospect that ( to use Lt Cook’s words inscribed on the plaque on Grassy Hill) “gave me no small uneasiness”)
    Caught up with Dennis at Ravenshoe for lunch and am now reclining on the veranda at the ‘King Ranch’ on the wild River.
    Dylan will meet up here tomorrow and we’ll head further south.....
    Hay Ewe and Dick0 like this.
  8. Reefdog

Reefdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    leaving tomorrow
    thank fuck for that I say
    Hughenden tomorrow night
  9. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I heard from @Magurk he is slabbing most of the way. Old injury playing up.
  10. Reefdog

Reefdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been having trouble with both hands the past 3 months with carpal tunnel
    Left for ocr yesterday am about 0930,got to the termite store (40 klicks) and could hardly feel my hands.
    made a informed decision to cancel the trip
    2020 will be my year to finally get to a OCR
  11. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    Shame mate - wise decision however. may not have been an enjoyable trip. See you in 2020.
  12. Reefdog

Reefdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I HATE THIS GETTING OLD SHIT

2020 will be my year to finally get to a OCR
    Please make it some where warm
  13. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    Just in from Checkmate3 (Eamonn) Sat 4th August 2018

We left the King Ranch mid morning when Dylan joined us after an early dash up the Gillies Range.
    Thanks again to Don and Kym for their hospitality
    upload_2018-8-5_12-9-43.png
    We turned right onto the Kennedy Highway with no particular destination in mind but I couldn’t go past the Stocklick Capital of Australia without taking a photo.
    Gassed up at Mt Surprise before pushing on to Croydon for more fuel and then headed south along the ‘Esmarelda Station’ road towards Richmond. We knew we’d run out of daylight and finally found a place to camp here:
    It looks like this on the ground:
    This is serious cattle country as we discovered this morning after getting up with the sparrows. As we rode along we could see, for hundreds of kilometres, not a square meter of ground without a hoofprint.
    Occasionally they’d wander onto the road but they’re reasonably predictable and mostly no trouble.
    We had a 40klm section of truly awful road with teeth rattling corrugations interspersed with deep sandy ruts and the odd bull dust hole just in case you thought of relaxing.
    I’d stop and take a photo of the old machinery that the stations put at the roadside just to get off the bike for five minutes.
    We’re now in Richmond and deciding where to go next..
  14. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    New report from Checkmate3

Monday morning and we’re still in Winton.
    Rex, Phil and Henry turned up yesterday afternoon with a couple of ailing machines. Rex needed a new front tyre and Phil’s BMW is leaking oil at the final drive coupling.
    upload_2018-8-6_7-7-40.png
    Lucky Henry was on hand, being a Longreach ‘local’ he knew someone who knew someone and they managed to get the local workshop opened up on a Sunday afternoon to fit a new tyre for Rex’s Husqvarna. We’ll go back this morning and help Phil change the bearing and seal in his final drive. Hopefully get going before lunch and make it to near Windorah this afternoon.
    Nothing to do last night but retire to Tattersalls Hotel for a couple of thirst quenchers
    Dylan still on track to meet us in Birdsville on Tuesday.
  15. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    From Checkmate3 - the latest:

Today turned into another tough one. ‘Twas near 11.00 when we finally left Winton.
    upload_2018-8-8_7-1-4.png
    We were headed towards Windorah but took a detour through the Bladensburg National Park.
    We had a look at the campsite we’d booked but never made it to.
    Detour over it was a two muesli bar lunch on the side of the road.
    The KLR stopped dead almost exactly halfway between Winton and Jundah. So I stripped all the stuff off and tried to diagnose the problem.
    We even pulled the carby off it.
    At this stage we had ridden around 270klm since we last fuelled up and I should get at least 500klm per tank, but somehow I was short on fuel because after checking everything that could be checked we discovered that the problem was fixed by turning the fuel tap to reserv
    Doh!
    I pressed on until the tank ran dry and then borrowed a couple of litres from Henry.
    By now the day was slipping away from us and darkness overtook us an hour out of Stonehenge ( the nearest fuel/food/shelter) so we crawled along as the rabbits and roos and cattle wandered over the road and the temperature plummeted.
    Mighty glad to make to Stonehenge about 7.00pm.
    Oh, and we lost Dennis ( KTM950) he was ahead of us when the bike troubles started and was pressing on towards Jundah. He’s only got Optus so we couldn’t phone him directly. I tried the pub and caravan park there and asked if they had seen a ‘short older gentleman with a white goatee and a bike orange bike’ but no luck. He may also have run out of fuel and camped in the bush last nigh. Hopefully find him today.
    Dylan was at Boulia last night and Paul at Bedourie.
    All headed for Birdsville.
    But first I’m hoping to get a bit of welding done on the KLR, we found an ugly crack in the frame, right through the spine of the bike. It’s on the big tube right between the two fuel tank support rubbers in this picture
    The journey continues....
    Dick0 and Suncoaster like this.
  16. dirty dennis

Oddometer:
    Well I've made it to marree, seem to of list a few punters on the way.
    Dylan seems to of had a rear sprocket shit itself so I'm in marree with all me mates; I'm so lonely in having to drink beer to take my mind off it.
    Going to stay here tomorrow & see who turns up. Bmsteve should be here, see who gets here from the north.
    Starting to get cold again kiddies!!!!
    Dick0 likes this.
  17. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    The latest from Checkmate3.

11.30 and sitting outside the bakery with the flies at Birdsville. Dylan and Dennis are a couple of hours ahead of us.
    We may or may not catch them today.
    The crack:
    upload_2018-8-9_7-13-1.png
    The prep:
    The job:
    My new best friend ‘Will’
    Back on the road
    Through a lot of this:
    Via Windorah to reach Betoota about a half hour before dark where we camped on the creek behind the famous pub.
    Fuel problems with the bike seemed to be a combination of headwinds and speed and a dirty air filter.
    Off now to Mungerannie, if we make good time we may push on to Maree.
  18. dexterharv

dexterharv n00b

Oddometer:
    For the guys travelling to the OCR, the latest and unfortunate news is I’m out.

The Beta and I are headed back to Cairns via separate means .... it’s not a divorce.

A certain roadside assistance company and lack of qualified “Motorcycle Mechanic” in Birdsville means its a political nightmare and a liability law suit waiting to happen. The only “agreed” option is to ship the bike home and fly home myself and make the roadside assistance company pay for everything....stuff ‘em

Have fun lads and be safe.

Dylan
  19. cobrin

cobrin Live to Ride - Ride to Live

Oddometer:
    Now there's a story...
  20. Reefdog

Reefdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    what happened dylan