cairns greater region riders

Discussion in 'Australia' started by soul_adventurer, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Dick0

Dick0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At least that's a change from Poppy Smurf :)

Catch you up there again this year
    Checkmate3 likes this.
  2. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Uta 80GS is having a top end overhaul, if its all done by then, she may come along as well
    Checkmate3 likes this.
  3. Kenno

Kenno Long timer

Oddometer:
    See you at the start line.
    Hay Ewe, DESERT WIND and Checkmate3 like this.
  4. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    Yep, I'll be there.- Kenno too I believe. Caught up with 'the couch' today, Glen Couchman, and he might be interested if he can get his CFR450 ready - he did one a couple of years ago (June 2014) with us on his DRZ400 which ran out of fuel 10 ks from the Lynd.

[​IMG]
    Hay Ewe, DESERT WIND and Checkmate3 like this.
  5. dirty dennis

dirty dennis are we there yet

Oddometer:
    So then, thinking of staging a quick trip up & back 'cause I've never ben to Einsliegh. Given time will be limited will be slabbing the trip. That means the weapoon of choice will bethe GTR1000 which is NOLT a very dirt friendly bike if its wet/ sandy. The question is this; Is there a tar route in or what's the dirt in likely to be like. Gravel road, dry clay & bit of surface sand is fine, anything that is wet or deep sand this thing is an unridable pig. Dont feel like burning up 5000km of tar on the 950 if I can avoid it!
    Checkmate3 likes this.
  6. Checkmate3

Checkmate3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    About 80k of wide dirt highway from the Lynd Junction Roadhouse to Einasleigh,
    Piece of wee wee for a man of your talents.

iddy
    kezzajohnson likes this.
  7. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    ^
    yep, but there is one cause way that has permanment water across it, therefore algae slippery
    I cant remember if it is between The Lynd and the turn off or after the turn off closer to Hugenden
    [​IMG]
    picture taken looking towards direction of travel
  8. dirty dennis

Oddometer:
    Think I know that one Phil. It's just south of Lynd Homestead on the Hughenden road. Has 2 large drain grates on the upstream side either end. Wouldn't be bringing the big heavy pig up that way, Be heading via Emerald & Belyando. Besides the GTR is that heavy it would squeeze the algae off the concrete!!!
    DESERT WIND likes this.
  9. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    yeah, but I cant remember if it is between The Lynd Road house and the turn off to Einsleigh, or after the turn off.
    now you mention the two grates, yes I think so.
    Anyway, sounds like you know it and aware if.

Just call Belyando to check that they do have fuel.
    They always have the few times that I have been that way, but ......
  10. dirty dennis

Oddometer:
    Fuel wise I'm fine. the big fat road bike does have an respectable fuel range, normally can get around 460- 480 km a tank. Last time I came up on the bike Clermont to Charters was a doddle
    DESERT WIND and Hay Ewe like this.
  11. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer:
    That is a long stretch...with lots of nothing.
  12. dirty dennis

Oddometer:
    Not a lot south of there either!
    That's why the plan will be to ride the road bike.
    No reason to wear out the 950 slabbing up there.
    Dick0 likes this.
  13. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I did the Cairns Syd trip on my Explorer 1200. Good fun, but lots of bugger all...
  14. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    18years ago before i moved to Aus, somebody said to me that there is nothing out there.
    I said that i shall go out there and check.

She was wrong, there is heaps out there. My observations is that about every 20km, the ground changes, the rocks, the terrain, the vegetation.

Yes, there is 'not much' but i look for stuff, machines, comms towers, birds, aircraft, the road, cattle, all sorts and anything.

Look at the clouds if there are any, they will tell what the weather is like, proximity to water and the coast. Look for dust clouds from traffic on dirt roads.

Watch the road and traffic as well!

If one was travelling the road everyday then i expect it would get boring pretty quick, but the few times i have been on that road and to Hughendon, there is enough chage and variation to keep it interesting.
    Dick0 and kezzajohnson like this.
  15. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    Update for Cairns region riders to Einasleigh 8/9 December. Optional at this stage for Northsiders (meeting at base of the range) to go via Kuranda Range and for Southsiders (meeting at servo Gordonvale) to go via Gillies and all meet up at Atherton. Let me know if you prefer this option as soon as possible - the travel time for each is similar at about 1 hour 15 mins. So if we were to meet at each respective point to at 0700 hrs, we could arrange a meeting time of say 0830 at Maccas Atherton. Lets set a departure time of 0900 from Atherton so if you are not there by then... Planned route is per the map below Black line is Saturday -Red line is Sunday. Very roughly plotted but basically from Atherton to Irvinebank to Mount Garnet via Mount Misery. From Mount Garnet, we plan on checking out a dirt alternative rather than the highway to Mount Surprise by taking a road just south of Garnet that will (should) take us across to meet up with the Almaden-Gingerella Road and back to the Highway just North of Mount Surprise. Mount Surprise and on to Einasleigh via the usual route. At any stage, there is the option of taking the bitumen routes for those that don't want to tackle the dirt but we can work that out on the day so every knows whats going on. We will be practicing the corner man technique so no one gets lost or left behind. If you have a two way setup - bring it. Return route on SUnday is planned to be via Lynd and then through Valley of Lagoons - Gunnawarra - Mount Garnet - Silver Valley Road - Herberton then slab home eaither way. Est about 400 kms Saturday via this route and about 500kms Sunday home.

[​IMG]
    DESERT WIND and cobrin like this.
  16. soul_adventurer

soul_adventurer grin and bear it

Oddometer:
    would have come along for the ride but im heading over to WA for a short contract. hope its not going to be too hot for you lot.
  17. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:

So, just confirming meeting points and time for the Einasleigh ride 8/9 December 2018.

Cairns Region Riders

Northside Meeting Point at the base of Kuranda Range (Council depot carpark) for 0700 departure for Atherton
    Southside Meeting Point at Maccas Servo Gordonvale for 0700 departure

Meet at whichever side you wish depending on whether you prefer to go Gillies or Kuranda.

Atherton meeting point Maccas Atherton 0830 for 0900 departure.

I have lost track of who is coming and who isn't, so if you are coming and want to ride in a group, be at one of the above ready for departure at the set time because I don't plan on chasing people up or waiting around for someone that is running late. YOu might have to catch us up or meet us somewhere along the line if that is the case. It is anticipated that the Northside and Southsiders will converge at Atherton and there are a couple of riders meeting us there fom Innisfail and the likes.

Depending on how may riders we have at Atherton, we may divide the group up into smaller groups and stagger the departure times from there - see how it goes. Remember, you need to be self sufficient as this is not a supported ride as such but overall, we will nominate sweep riders on the day to ensure everyone gets there safely.

Any questions my number is 0432124029 - cheers Kezza
    DESERT WIND likes this.
  18. Checkmate3

Oddometer:
    Has anyone given the folks out at Einasleigh a ‘heads up’?
  19. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    Yeah Dave gave them a ring and told them to expect around 30.

34 have said they are coming on the FB event page and then there will be others like yourself (who are not on bookface) on top - I reckon we could come close to 40 this year if conditions are right.
    Checkmate3 likes this.
  20. Checkmate3

Oddometer:
    Should be a good turn out!
    Spoke to DD today, he's on the way north, left Murrumbateman this arvo.

iddy
    Hay Ewe and kezzajohnson like this.