cairns greater region riders

Discussion in 'Australia' started by soul_adventurer, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Cam78

Cam78 n00b

Oddometer:
    677E1E82-20E3-4164-9ACA-E410829FF73F.jpeg All good tips peeps, thanks very much.....
    kezzajohnson and abhibeckert like this.
  2. Checkmate3

Checkmate3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Side stand broke huh?
  3. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    For those that don't have facebook, you may have been missing out on details regarding the annual end of year Einasleigh bash. It's on again on the 30th November. Would love to see everyone old and new to this thread come along and join the North Queensland Adventure Riders on this yearly bash. Overnight at the Einasleigh pub with free camping out the back, or if you are lucky enough, they may have rooms still available. The pub is expecting us and are going to put on a BBQ for dinner. As per other years, the run is a memorial run of sorts to remember our mate Wayne Cheeseman who founded the original NQ adventure riders page and who tragically took his own life a few years back. Participants will be asked to donate $5.00 each to go to a charity which as yet is to be decided. Apart from that, you can expect a great night at the pub with some great like minded guys and gals for just the expense of getting there, your dinner and as many refreshing ales as you like. I am unsure at this stage if fuel will be available at Einasleigh, so you are best planning on filling up at Mount Surprise on the way down and then at the Lynd on the way home (depending on which way you want to go). Here is a cut and paste from my latest post on our facebook page regarding departure times and whether you want to ride in a group or not.

If you have a facebook account and are not already a member but would like to be- here's a link to the group page where you can (once joined), say if you are coming or not - just so we can get an idea on numbers. Alternatively, just reply here if you would like to join in on the ride.

Link to FB page ---> https://www.facebook.com/groups/759776277517194/

Cut and past of my latest post ---> Bring on Einasleigh - just 23 days away. For Cairns riders wishing to make the trek this year, I am going to make the usual meeting point of United Servo at Gordonvale as starting point for Southside riders at about 0700. Northside riders welcome to do the same or you may wish to go Kuranda and meet us at Atherton like we did last year. Feel free to discuss here a meeting point and time if that is the way you want to play it. There is no pressure for anyone to even ride in a group and you may just choose to ride your own ride and see us at Einasleigh. I am thinking at this stage of riding through to Almaden via Petford and then south to Mount Surprise via Gingerella Road and then on to Einasleigh. Again feel free to chime in on a suggested route. Return trip on the Sunday via Lynd and then Valley of Lagoons like last year. Give us your thoughts.
    Hay Ewe and Tau Anvil like this.
  4. dirty dennis

dirty dennis are we there yet

Oddometer:
    Took the wife through Einaleigh in August on the way to Karumba. Would of loved to give this a crack again ( except for the "transport stage") but same weekend as our 30th so would be a very bad idea. Kezza's track looks like a bit of fun on a big chookie so if your up there & haven't been before highly recommended from the far south. Have fun
    Hay Ewe and kezzajohnson like this.
  5. Checkmate3

Oddometer:
    Thanks Kezza,
    I'll be there, might try and stay away from the 'goanna pull' competition this year.

iddy
    kezzajohnson and Hay Ewe like this.
  6. Chirpy2

Chirpy2 n00b

Oddometer:
  7. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Yep, i shall be coming along too
  8. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:

Aww c'mon - there's always got to be a clown. Be good to see you.
  9. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    Update on planned route and times from Cairns. I will be at United Servo at Gordonvale by 0630 to 0700 for a departure soon thereafter. Those planning on departing with me from there be ready to go by about 7.30 at the latest. Northside riders that want to go Kuranda, we will be meeting at Maccas in Atherton for a planned departure from there by 8.30 to 08.45am. See attached maps for anticipated route which will includes as much dirt road as possible but should be fairly easy going. Timings are very approximate but conservative and I would expect a bit of variance but not by too much. Fuel wise Gordonvale to Mount Surprise is 311kms and food available at Mount Surpise too for lunch. There may be fuel at Einasleigh but not too sure. Mount Surprise to Einasleigh is only about 77 kms so if you fuel up at Mount Surprise, you would be best refuelling again on Day 2 at Lynd Roadhouse. Mount Surprise to Lynd is only 149 kms. On Day 2 going via Valley of Lagoons the first fuel after the Lynd is Mount Garnet 265km away. From Mount Garnet you will get home no worries without worrying too much about fuel. Make sure you prepare yourself, bike and hydration - it's gonna be hot but fun. Total round trip Cairns to Cairns via this Itinerary is 867km. Feel free to ride alone and go via any route you desire but all are welcome to tag along with me. See you at Einasleigh.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hay Ewe likes this.
  10. Reefdog

Reefdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    kezza
    what mapping site did you use for the above
    shane
  11. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    I use Garmin Basecamp on the PC along with my Garmin62s GPS - I have Garmin Australia Topo Maps loaded on the GPS.

Taken me a while to get my head around it but have finally got it worked out how to create a route/track and all the settings that go along with that.

Once the GPX file has been created, I can then convert it to a KML file and see it on Google Earth. Great for zooming in and getting a better idea of terrain if need be

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    NOVA_F850GSA likes this.
  12. Checkmate3

Oddometer:
    Nice work Kezza.

For those on the north side is there a planned meet at the bottom of the Kuranda Range?

iddy
  13. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:

Not sure Iddy. Haven't heard much. There's a few randoms that are meeting at Maccas in Atherton for 0830 ish departure from there - like Hay Ewe (Phil) and others.
  14. Reefdog

Reefdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    all ok..ill have a look at it
  15. Reefdog

Reefdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could garmin make a more fucked up complicated programme as base camp
    I got it installed, but has nothing on it...sorry has 1 main town....Cairns on it.
    Either I am doing something wrong OR?
    over it
  16. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    Basecamp doesn’t come with map data, just a basic “global” map with continents, major cities and major highways.

It’s designed to load maps that come with most Garmin GPS units, or you can buy the maps separately for a couple hundred bucks.

Or... you can install open street maps with a bit of mucking around (select country on garmin.openstreetmap.nl, enter your email address, a few minutes later they’ll send you a download link which you can load into Basecamp).
  17. dzl

dzl adventurer wannabe

Oddometer:
    Yeah you need to have your garmin GPS device connected to your lappy as it will use the map data from your device. When you have opened basecamp goto the "maps" option at the top and select maps data to use. you should see the maps from your device there. Plenty of online tutorials. It can bamboozle you when first using base camp but stick with it and it will reward you.
    kezzajohnson likes this.
  18. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    You can download and instal shonky maps onto basecamp and they are pretty good and you can select different level of detail you want. The Garmin Oz topo maps (About $200) are only available to download onto your GPS device SD card however and the map becomes available on Basecamp when you connect your device to your PC. I agree though, Basecamp is not a very intuitive program but because I have the GPS unit, there is not any other options available.

[​IMG]

This is the same (Einasleigh) route on Shonky maps full topo - the detail gets better when you zoom in.

[​IMG]
  19. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Good weekend thank you.
    Steady Steady on saturday and fun on sunday, just right for me this year!
    kezzajohnson likes this.
  20. Reefdog

Reefdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips guys on the Garmin shit base camp
    think I will stick to my paper maps on the trips and google earth pro at home to plan...
    Used only garmin for the past 15 years in aviation overseas but we had some smart young geeks to programme them, so us older gents only had to
    put in where we wanted to go..easy