1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

cairns greater region riders

Discussion in 'Australia' started by soul_adventurer, Jan 19, 2012.

1. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    Good plan...GPS are overated anyway. I only put mine on the bike to track where I have been and at home it's handy for creating tracks and routes on the PC to show others like I have been doing.
    I can't read it on the fly so no good for navigation unless I stop all the time.

My DR got tired and wanted a little lay down at Irvinebank on Saturday.

[​IMG]
  2. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:

Cheers Phil - great to see you and to ride with again.
    Hay Ewe likes this.
  3. Checkmate3

Checkmate3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice work fixing that ignition problem Kezza,
    99% of riders would have been putting the bike on a trailer and going home.

iddy
  4. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    I don't admit defeat that easily. I now think it might have been the connection to the coil that had come apart suddenly and caused the bike to die and not the pickup coil at all. I tested the Pickup coil that I replaced and it came up within specs. Ah well, at least I know it's all good now and I learned (not unilke yourself) to look for the obvious things first and to be careful when two people are looking at/checking two different things on the bike at the same time.

Specs per the manual are 170 to 256 ohms resistance.

[​IMG]
    Hay Ewe likes this.
  5. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Yep, always start with the simple things.
  6. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys and Girls. Time to put your thinking caps on about OCR2020 being held at Adeles Grove 8/9 August. Coupla days out there (maybe 1 or 2 overnighters) and I personally would like to get out there on the Friday Arvo. A few of the guys from Townsville (NQ ADV riders) are planning on meeting up for the ride out and then some (myself included) want to do an extended ride afterwards - I am thinking the Cape. What are you up for ?
  7. lookfar

lookfar from the land of OZ Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had something similar happen on my last build. It would crank over but there was no spark. I replaced plug, coil and CDI to attempt to find the problem, but no joy. The pickup coil tested within spec, but when I wound the engine over (electric leg), it was producing intermittent voltage (should be around .7 V A/C). So I opened it up to have a look at the pickup coil. I removed the pickup coil, and compared it to a spare that I have had for some time, and discovered that somebody had filed the metal piece to the extent that it was too far away from the crank finger to work. I replaced it, and the engine started straight away.

Pic of the bike for interest.

IMG_1845.jpg
    kezzajohnson likes this.
  8. KIZ

KIZ Marty

Oddometer:
    Ditto. Was thinking of crossing the Mitchell at Dunbar. Hoping the crossing is intact. Last time on the way to OCR Bramwell a group I was with crossed near Kowanyama, and that was a tricky exersize. 3 of us so far me my son and a friend travelling up from Adelaide.
  9. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    Anthing's possible when safety in numbers - looks like fun and worthy of consideration.
    KIZ likes this.
  10. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    Hey Ya'all. Hope everyone's staying safe. We'll get through this so don't sell your bikes ! Onwards and upwards.
  11. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Evening all
    yep, am well here

Anybody heard from Tony?
  12. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    Not for a while - must give him a ring.
  13. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Afternoon all

My apologies

Tony called me on Friday arvo whilst I was at work.
    I then totally forgot till I saw his name in my phone list just now.

He says he is doing OK and the first part is over and seems to be ok.
    He sounded good.
    We didnt talk long as I was work.

Apologies all
  14. Checkmate3

Oddometer:
    Tony is good,
    Met up with him a couple of weeks back after he finished treatment in Brisbane. He was happy with the results
    He was stuck in a Cairns hotel for 14 days before he could go home to Weipa.
    I’m not a Facebook person so I don’t keep up with the latest in social media but I have heard by traditional means that the annual Einasliegh bash is on for July 11/12 this year.
    Seems the 38° day last year was a bit much for some folks and I can’t disagree.
    It’ll be cold ( well, for us delicate tropical flowers) but Starty is still the publican so the usual, um, relaxed rules will apply.
    Free camping, big fire, music, etc etc

iddy
    DESERT WIND likes this.
  15. Checkmate3

Oddometer:
    No doubt options for Adele’s Grove will be discussed.
    Met up with Wrighty, AKA ‘Desert Wind', a couple of weeks back when he and Karen came over to pick up his 690 Adventure Rally:

upload_2020-6-8_19-55-40.jpeg

Of course he’s already pulling it to bits to customise it to his own requirements.
    But he does plan on riding it to Einasleigh.
    See you all there.

iddy
    johnno950 and DESERT WIND like this.
  16. perrymejsn

perrymejsn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE = "kezzajohnson, příspěvek: 38899502, člen: 55617"] Cheers Phil - skvělé vás vidět a znovu jezdit. [/ QUOTE]
    Hi kezzoJ, still rideing arround Cairns??? Virus kill everything some trip? With someone??
  17. Kenno

Kenno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Our recent route to and from Adels Grove for the 2020 OCR, I always wondered what the Karumba to Musgrave leg was like and, although we rode it on 650 singles, it is a good road for large heavy ADV bikes with ever changing scenery.
    My company for the whole loop was Kezza although we did catch up with quite a few Cairns fellas over there.
    My favourite part of the ride by far was from Musgrave roadhouse via Hann River, Fairview Station, Fairlight Station and turn left just before Palmerville Station on the 37klm road to Maytown with it's impressive Ancient Devonian Coral Reef that we passed through, all of these roads are absolutely suitable for larger adv bikes as well.
    Henry from Longreach posted his ride report over at day trippin' here.
    OCR 2020 ROUTE - KENNO AND KEZZA.jpg

Attached Files: