cairns greater region riders

Discussion in 'Australia' started by soul_adventurer, Jan 19, 2012.

1. macdoc

macdoc Canuck in Cairns

Oddometer:
    Jan- Apr Cairns Qld - May- Dec Southern Ontario
    Wrenching in Cairns?

Used to do my own but not any more. Will likely need tires by the end of the 3 months here given the amount of highway I'm doing ( average 150k per day over the week ).

Also will need someone reliable for basic service, oil change etc.

Suggestions as to honest mechanic in the area appreciated.
    Or should I just hit the Kawi dealer? ( assuming there is one )

Also looking for suggestions on 70/30 tires as they will be up for replacement.

TIA
  2. galbo950

galbo950 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go and see Dean at Bits or Bikes. He's on brown Street, Westcourt, it runs off Scott Street.

3. macdoc

macdoc Canuck in Cairns

Oddometer:
    Great thanks - will pop over next week.
  4. snatchy

snatchy Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. soul_adventurer

soul_adventurer grin and bear it

Oddometer:
    so i must have been lucky to get through just after the cylone when they were still clearing the road. i didnt notice any bridges needing repair. i drove up in my jeep at the time. and the work crews were driving dozers and big trucks up there too. i wonder what happened since then?
    there was always a gate at the kennedy side. we always just drove around it!:D
  6. macdoc

macdoc Canuck in Cairns

Oddometer:
    BTW thanks for the tip on Bikes and Bits.
    Dean was great and I'm taking the KLR over today to turn it into a single passenger rig - there by saving some significant dollars on the yearly costs. He also told me where to get keys

Seems a good guy.:clap

He's got a little 225 Yamaha over there we're going see if it fits height challenged mum and daughter :D

I got my Air Hawk from home and that was a nice treat tho added an inch to my seat height which I could feel at the stop lights - will be NOT using it on the trails :D
    Bloody KLR is tall - at least cutting the rear part of the seat out lets me slide my foot over easier ;)
  7. macdoc

macdoc Canuck in Cairns

Oddometer:
  8. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, you can download it from a variety of places on the web, such as: http://www.osmaustralia.org/downloads.php

But I'm probably not the best person to ask how to get it installed on a PC, maybe try heading over to the Layin' down tracks forum if you're not sure how to get it working.

Wayne Leonard's have always treated me right as well. And they're a nice big shop with more stuff in stock than most places. It's near the CBD, on Water St just off Mulgrave Rd/Florence St.

They're the KTM/Suzuki/Triumph/Harley dealer in cairns, and also sell secondhand bikes of any make, and gear, and tyres, and workshop, etc. They also do motorcycle towing, so it's worth grabbing their number at least.
  9. macdoc

macdoc Canuck in Cairns

Oddometer:
    Thanks - never hurts to have an option and will pop buy to look at the toys.
  10. Kenno

Kenno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ye Olde Log Bridge in the Black Mountain area near Julatten [​IMG]

Several bike pilots have missed that little landing strip, lucky its half way to the Mt Molloy pub.
  11. elaineo

elaineo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi folks,

I know this is late notice, but there are 2 of us on XT600s, we're in Cairns right now awaiting some repairs at Bits for Bikes (awesome shop as far as I can tell, he's trying to rig up some replacement spokes when every other shop in town told us we'd have to wait for them to ship from Japan).

ANYWAY, we are hoping to leave Cairns around high noon this saturday, then ride up to Cape Trib via Daintree. After that, we plan to take the 4wd track to Cooktown and then some trails to Cape Flattery and possibly beyond, depending on how things go.

We would greatly appreciate any route recommendations, particularly if anyone knows anything about current conditions up there. Any company is also welcome! Our schedule is quite flexible, right now the plan is to make it to Darwin in a few weeks :)

Elaine
  12. macdoc

macdoc Canuck in Cairns

Oddometer:
    If you want to make a bit of a nice warm up ride then go towards Kuranda and take Black Mountain Road across to Julatten - just did it last week and enjoyed the ride. Total distance is 56k
    About 1/3 of winding pavement, 1/3 of winding dirt roads and 1/3 of forest track goes through the edges of Kuranda National Forest and Mowbray National Park.
    You will come to one fork that is completely unmarked as to which way to go - stay right.
    You will cross the Quaid Highway and then it becomes more of a forest track - there was one log on the trail that only had enough room to slip the bike through - otherwise a fun ride - only one uphill that will be easy on your bikes - my KLR is highway geared and 80/20 tires so was a bit of a chore.
    Some whoops on the forest track that are fun. Mind the loose horses tho.

When you come out the other end there is a decent bar/restaurant The Highlander on your left then you can head down the Rex for some twisties fun and on to Daintree.

Some pics and a bit more detail here on the last page
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?151439-Down-Under-on-a-KLR-650-second-season
  13. macdoc

macdoc Canuck in Cairns

Oddometer:
    Back in town, KLR turned to a single seater :D
    Up for a ride this week road or combination as long as not too long -
    Early start ( 6=7 am preferred )

No ride too short to consider.....even cane fields ;)
  14. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    Speaking of short rides... Have you been up to Lake Morris (also known as Coperlode Dam) in the hills behind cairns? It's a narrow (very narrow) sealed range that starts in Kanimbla and goes to a small cafe/park overlooking a dam in the middle of the forest.

It's a dead end, you've gotta take the same way back. Takes 30 minutes to 1 hour each way depending how fast you push it (careful! uneaven surface and possibility of wet leaves to make the corners slipery). It's worth going at the end of the day, since there are a few lookouts with a great view of the city lights near the bottom of the range. They're popular around sunset.

[​IMG]

View Map
  15. galbo950

Oddometer:
    Day ride starting at Koah, head down Clohesy River Road and then see where the day ends. Back hopefully before dark. Any takers?
  16. poulviking

poulviking Adventurer

Oddometer:
    and for a bit of a walk: spot on 10 k's up from the turn off there's a pull over area in the grass on the right. 30 meters or so on the left there's a gate. walk past the gate and around the powerline tower and you can get to stand on the "white rock" bloody impressive view. Not sure if you can get small bike around the gate but I don't think so.
  17. Kenno

Kenno Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in.

18. galbo950

Oddometer:
    Well 2 will do.
  19. soul_adventurer

soul_adventurer grin and bear it

Oddometer:
    would like to but im back at work again on saturday for about 5 weeks.
  20. outback jack

outback jack Long timer

Oddometer:
    What's the weather doing up that way, any sign of a wet season yet? :ear