cairns greater region riders

Discussion in 'Australia' started by soul_adventurer, Jan 19, 2012.

1. macdoc

macdoc Canuck in Cairns

Oddometer:
    Jan- Apr Cairns Qld - May- Dec Southern Ontario
    now about those cane field runs.....:huh

had a good time on the Clohesy/Tinaroo run today - I clocked about 175k with perhaps 100 in dirt.
    The limitation of current KLR tires was VERY apparent with a couple of slides outs trying to climb one rather muddy hill.
    The creeks I was concerned about turned to be no problem tho better traction would never hurt - good fun but the muddy hill was beyond rider and bike to negotiate...

First slide out not so bad hit a branch with the front tire which slid on it - I stayed sort of up, bike laid down....huffing and puffing and managed to get a going with help but then traction just disappeared further up the hill and aging rider found himself nicely pinned by 500 lb of KLR on a marginally armoured ankle.- Fortunately a combination of mud, thick socks and the Nike shin guard protected me enough Moto boots on the bring from Canada list.

More muscle getting boot out from under - no damage to rider beyond frustration but busted clutch lever made for a rather interesting ride out of the area to Mareeba for a $20 fix. I could sort of hold it in place to get going.
    Annoyed at myself as I had the stock KLR hand guards and forgot to put them on the bike before I left. Been so long since I've taken a tumble .......handle bars were out of position as well so the guards might not have helped.

Did manage to stay upright after that 'cept for a good face plant at the lunch stop which brought some well deserved snarks about Canadian co-ordination. Fiddling with camera and missed a step.

An almost front wheel washout coming into Tinaroo really made the message on knobbie need hit home - down from the dam on pavement - some loose sand sitting on the smooth concrete of the small bridge made the rear slide out as well on the way back up tho that was not an issue - the front wheel near wash out tho....not good.

That sort of did it for "NEED APPROPRIATE TIRES!!" decision.
    The front was getting there anyway and the roads are way too much fun to have to squirm through them on quasi- road tires.....50/50 something coming up.

While the armoured jacket and gloves did their job - lack of moto- boots and pants - even tho not an issue this time....will need to be addressed next season.....and a set of goggles - too much dust.
    See what kid has at home and make do with getting decent tires this round.

KNobbies should get me through with more confidence in direction and traction especially at my tourist pace. Will be going tomorrow I hope to discuss.

Anyways much thanks to the guys who all patient and helpful and good chit chat around lunch solving world problems :D

Minor pics soon. Gonna go back to a couple of the areas for a more leisurely sight seeing.....when it's dry.

Had fun, got home in one piece after a couple of spills.....not a bad day. :freaky:freaky

Thanks guys.
  2. lookfar

lookfar from the land of OZ Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll be keeping an eye on this one...Got a bit of maintenance to do on the old XL shortly (waiting for parts) then should be good for a ride or two.
    I work FIFO, so only here every second weekend.
    I enjoy the copperlode road as well. Also have to get some more "dirt friendly" tyres, mine are more road biased at the mo, don't grip at all on dirt....:cry
  3. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    Great report. If you're trying to decide on which knobbies, try the Michelin T-63. Matched up front and back, they are the best handling knobbie on bitumen I have had on my DR. The KLR is fairly similar in that it also has a 17inch rear wheel. They wear pretty well and are not too bad off road as long as you adjust your pressures. I run HD tubes and generally lower my pressures to about 17-18psi for the softer stuff.

Just for kicks, I recently tried a Mitchelin desert on the front. I still have it on and a T63 rear. It (Desert) has to be the most frightening tyre I have ever ridden on road with. It wants to make the bike weave and wander at lower speeds and shake it's head at higher speeds above 90kph. Having said that,the Desert is the best tyre off road I have had on the DR. It just bites in and you can steer the bike with upmost confidence that the front is not going to washout.
    The T-63 front, although not as confidence inspiring as the Desert, is a good compromise where there is a quantity of bitumen involved.

Some guys have had mixed results with the Dunlop 606s. They are good tyre but will probably wear faster than the
    T-63s.

Hopefully be able to get out and have a ride with ya's soon.

Cheers Kezza.

4. macdoc

macdoc Canuck in Cairns

Oddometer:
    Put a Kenda 50/50 on the front and am skittering around till the little nubbies wear. :D
    He had it and put it on on the spot - bit of sticker shock on tires compared to home :huh

He is suggesting a Kenda 510 on the rear but the 70/30 tire model rather than the 50/50 ( 270s are the 50/50 I think )

I have not yet ordered the rear - was going to go over to Wayne Leonard tomorrow at some point but might also go talk to the guys in Mareeba who fixed me up with the alternative clutch - give them a bit of biz if they have something and can do it while I wait.

Like to support the independents. I see Dean's business is up for sale - there is a sign inside saying "business for sale".

He had a used set of Barkbusters so got those on and got the clutch back to stock with the interlock ( sort of ;-) ) At least I don't have to short it out to start it now.

••••

If anyone is interested in a slow sight seeing run on the Clohesy Road and Tinaroo I'm game sometime soon. Photos etc and a "skills improvement session" at low speeds :D

•••

I am thinking of a overnite run a bit south as I have a Friday and Saturday open this week with GF away.
    Thinking something around Innisvale area that is normally a bit far for a day ride. Ride down early Friday - cruise some of the parks and roads and then hit some place cheap overnight -
    Wander home Saturday.

Suggestions what to see - where to go thanks?
  5. macdoc

macdoc Canuck in Cairns

Oddometer:
    BTW IF you are going to fall over on a muddy hill riding a too bluuuudy heavy KLR.....good to have some muscle along :D

[​IMG]
  6. Kenno

Kenno Long timer

Oddometer:
    If Galbo950 signals a ride opportunity everyone should take it, what a great day in the woods with a track knowledgeable and likeable bloke on a ballistic XR650, those grins stayed all day even during the multistage "hill of death" at days end haha.

Macdoc held his own on that KLR despite what he says with what looked like tyres off a road bike, bloody good effort, and a champion who will be rewarded many times over with a set of dirt tyres and his inate tenacity.

My mate Stu on the other XR650 has been schooling me in technical trail work and I came away from the day improved even more with yet another set of shoulder muscles not known to have existed since my twenties.

Thanks Lads
    Ken

7. galbo950

galbo950 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you enjoyed the ride. Sorry about the hill of death, it gets worse every time i go there. I think i may have left my lung there. We'll have to organise another ride.
  8. macdoc

macdoc Canuck in Cairns

Oddometer:
    I noticed they politely ignored my face plant on the kitchen steps at the diner.:gerg

Today it was easier to ride than walk. Damn quads are killing me....Celebrex to the rescue.
  9. macdoc

macdoc Canuck in Cairns

Oddometer:
    Okay - equipment coming together, barkbuster,s new front tire, now boots and knee protectors.

[​IMG]

went down to the Kawasaki dealer -
    he happened to have a pair they had used once in a commercial - $100 out the door but have to change my shifter a bit as hard to get my toe under it - might need a slightly better shifter and foot pegs which are marginal on the KLR -

Also got knee armour that will go under my pants.

Dealer said I did not need a new rear tire yet so will wait til next year.. see how I do with the front knobby at my leisurely pace.

Some cop pulled me over and wanted to chat ;) I said I was lost

Thanks for the re-direct to the Kawi dealer Glen :freaky

Nice bike.
  10. macdoc

macdoc Canuck in Cairns

Oddometer:
    Chasing down an extended shift lever for the KLR650 so I can get my shiny new boots under the damn thing.....who in the area might have some choice?

IMS and Moose make folding levers which would be nice.

Thanks

•••••

rain is putting damper :wink: on my riding the last few days tho aches and pains have contributed :D

Determined to get up to Myola Road at least today. See what the Barron looks like now and see how the knobby tracks in the softer stuff.
  11. macdoc

macdoc Canuck in Cairns

Oddometer:
    Wet ride this morning out to the end Myola Road where it crosses the Barron
    River is well up over the causeway and ripping along a quite pace so no going across - was followed by a cruiser rider - not sure even if it was crossable where he thought he was going. :huh

Had a quick look at the Clohesy - was up but not a lot.

Went up to Mareeba to check on pegs and shifters - no luck - wore my regular boots plus the knee protectors just to see how those worked - hardly noticed them on and I was completely totally drenched head to toe.

Sun finally came out and stayed out so fine ride on Davie's Creek road at a sedate pace...took a couple of sun breaks to dry things
    ..nice to have a front tire that goes where pointed. :clap

Front knobby felt much better on the road as well.

Got lucky in the rain forest stretch and spotted one of these flying - saw it in both directions....stunning bird

[​IMG]

Some of my pics tomorrow - Davie's Creek is lovely area.

Tinaroo tomorrow or Black Mountain. Will wait on weather
  12. noeyedear

noeyedear Adventurer

Oddometer:

Yeah, he's busy out the back building a side car for the DR and a nursery :D
  13. macdoc

macdoc Canuck in Cairns

Oddometer:
    aside from getting soaked today....

Question.

The Kenda 270 really felt good after putting on 200k today mixed highway and dirt/gravel.

A fair bit was in the rain which I know helps the knobbies on pavement but should I keep the speed down when running on dry pavement??
    Any other knobby tips?? Thanks.

Also saw a Dunlop 605 rear today at the Mareeba dealer - he had ordered in a set - that looked good for what I want. Anyone use them??? :ear
  14. macdoc

macdoc Canuck in Cairns

Oddometer:
    Damn where did the week go :huh Supposed to have planned a two day one nite casual ride to the south.....looks like a couple of day rides around here in order.
  15. macdoc

macdoc Canuck in Cairns

Oddometer:
    Got boots sorted today since could not shift with the MX boots ( I'm not the only one - KLR thread has others with the same issue)
    - Kawi dealer Cairns was great about it.
    Suggested a Dri-Rider Nordic which is in between a smooth soled touring boot and an MX boot.

Full water proof - has some treads for walking and I can shift ( tested it this time ).Best deal - he gave me them ( $179 retail ) for the $100 I'd already spent. My touring boots at home are not fully water proof and in Cairns having a set that is makes lots of sense.

Now that's good customer service. I'll for sure order my Dunlop 605s from him next year.
    ••••

anyone riding anywhere this weekend that would like a tourist speed tagalong?
  16. macdoc

macdoc Canuck in Cairns

Oddometer:
    Good ride today along the Tinaroo Creek forest track...didn't fall over once :D
    Started early so encountered no one :clap - saw one of those gorgeous long tailed kingfishers.

When I came out onto the Danbullah Forest Road a ranger came by and pointed me to the dam .....that was good as did not want to do the longer loop to the Fig Tree today - too many people on the road.

Coffee and croissant from the displaced Frenchman at the cafe and headed home down the Gillies - 220k nice day and for once not drenched.
  17. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty happy with Mitas C-02 stoneking's on my 690. They don't grip very well on pavement but they get the job done (if you adjust your riding style to compensate) and they take forever to wear out even on the highway. Awesome grip and feel off road, and reasonably priced. It's a full knobbie, but I've done tons of highway on them and the gilies several times a week. My only complaint, is there isn't quite enough grip to do a wheelstand on pavement in the wet. :cry :evil

The tyre guy at Wayne Leonard tells me more and more of his regular customers are switching to it.

Wayne Leonard is independent, they're just also authorised to sell/maintain several major brands. :thumb

I dunno the mob in Mareeba, but I've had some pretty bad experiences with bike shops up here... Wayne is about the only one north of brisbane who I've always been happy with (not that I've been to all of them, just advising caution).

Have you been out irvinebank way yet? Herberton to Petford via Irvinebank is a nice proper outback dirt road, but with enough signs and local traffic you won't get lost. Fuel at Atherton, Irvinebank and Dimbulah.
  18. macdoc

macdoc Canuck in Cairns

Oddometer:
    Not yet but considering riding to Mount Carbine and exploring the Mitchell river end of that this week
    Ken sent the GPS map.
    The KLR is great with fuel - 23 litres - have not even got it on reserve yet once but I understand a few litres get trapped but like to keep it topped up even tho it adds to the weight up high.

It's 130k to Mount Carbine by pavement and I've been keeping it down to 80-90 on the pavement to preserve the front tire ( it's proving good on the pavement )
    Drove down the Gillies yesterday and tho not pushing it the front end was solid and the tar strips is did not notice at all - the worn front tire was NOT stable on them ....felt like hitting ice patches.

I'm thinking that full loop is a bit long for me as I ride a real tourist place and stop lots for photos etc.

Wondering if I can slice it up into 50k segments ( off pavement portion ).

That ride yesterday was just nice length with Kennedy to Mareeba, dirt road and forest track to Tinaroo ( I took the northern track ) and then home down the Gillies.
    220km - started at 7 home by 2 with lots of breaks and not too tired.

I tend to tractor in 1st and second in the rain forest trails and then ride the gravel at 30-40 kph so I can enjoy the scenery without paying too much attention to the road.

I mean really - how nice it this at 8 am on the Tinaroo northern track.

[​IMG]

:D what I'm here for.

Heading up to Mount Mulligan early tomorrow and explore a little. Company welcome.
    Thanks to Ken and Abhi for that suggestion.

Nother day this week want to go over to the other end and look around the Mitchell
  19. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    Hey macdoc,

Good keeping up with your adventures.

What time are you leaving for Mt Mulligan tommorrow morning and where from ?

Really should be looking for work, but if I can sweet talk the missus, I wouldn't mind doing a the run with you - I'm hanging out for a ride.

Cheers Kezza
  20. macdoc

macdoc Canuck in Cairns

Oddometer:
    Sure - sent you a PM - Koah Roadhouse circa 7.30 is fine.

here

[​IMG]

corner of Kennedy Highway and Koah Road - thought it was Koah Roadhouse - could be wrong on the name tho.
    email me macdoc@macdoc.com is easiest.

Do you know the area??