cairns greater region riders

Discussion in 'Australia' started by soul_adventurer, Jan 19, 2012.

1. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah those bloody things are lethal! They were only done recently and almost put me in hospital or worse a couple weeks ago. :puke1

It can't really be split up, but I think it's not too long even if you take it easy. It's mostly wide open road, with nothing to slow you down except corners and creek crossings (rarely any water over the road, even this time of year).

The scenery is lovely but it's the same all the way, so you won't stop very often to take photos. A few old cemeteries and ghost towns you'll definitely want to stop for.

I'd stop for a break at irvinebank (at the pub) and dimbulah (there's a nice bakery... not sure what it's called).
  2. macdoc

macdoc Canuck in Cairns

Oddometer:
    Jan- Apr Cairns Qld - May- Dec Southern Ontario
    You ARE correct it cannot be split.....200km to get HERE

[​IMG]

and had to turn back .....too deep, too fast, at the Mitchell. :cry

and we were hungry...

Raced some nasty looking clouds back - looked at the radar when I got home and the region got hit a bit after we exited.
    My dirt road skills improve apace but might get that 50/50 sooner than later.

Gorgeous chilly morning - fog on the way up and actually chilly when we hit Dimbulah. Skybury was not open yet :(

Proprietor at Mulligan Station is a hoot - chunky local gold nugget around his neck and tales of finding a 56 oz one morning. Garrulous Irishman full of tales.

Will go back for sure to there - fantastic setting with the rock scarp and a lovely little oasis.

Some more pics soon - 420 or so total km about 200 off pavement tho nothing technical - some slippy spots for my roadish rear ( would have been a horror had that storm come earlier)

The small river crossing was fun - not too challenging and few streams and mudholes to splash through.

Teeth still rattling on some long stretches of washboard but the road was pretty good all around - only saw two vehicles.

Hot and dry in the afternoon - was sucking up water big time. Almost wanted the rain on the way home but only got the edge.
    Good fun. Long day - left home at 6.30 am, got back 6ish pm.
    Good riding partner put up with my slowish pace tho we were doing 60-80 on the way home.

He likes to stop and take pics too :freaky

It's 8.30 pm and still getting rain up there

[​IMG]
  3. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
  4. macdoc

macdoc Canuck in Cairns

Oddometer:
    Yeah this one a bit better width and power...:huh
    Kez almost lost his balance just after this was taken - he said the bottom was slippery.

[​IMG]

I AM sore!!! - a two Celebrex night for sure and I"m still dry mouth 5 litres later.

:clap:clapkids eh ;)
  5. macdoc

macdoc Canuck in Cairns

Oddometer:
  6. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    Here's a couple of piccys from yesterdays ride to Mt Mulligan as well as a screen shot from google maps that shows you just how close we got to Mt Carbine before having to turn around. Doh ! The plan was to do the loop through to Mt Carbine and then back to Cairns. Never mind, a great ride anyway and you live and learn.

[​IMG]

Pretty easy to find your way from Dimbulah following the signs

[​IMG]

Gorgeous scenery which could easily be the Kimberleys

[​IMG]

Gotta go and camp here one weekend at just $10.00 per night - no booking required

[​IMG]

macdoc was lapping it up on his KLR

[​IMG]

Me too, just happy to be alive.

[​IMG]

This one was easy

[​IMG]

A great place for a rest.

[​IMG]

Did not see one form of wildlife. There's a couple of gates to open and close along the way.

[​IMG]

This is the one that put a damper on the day

[​IMG]

And we were so close too. I've marked the track from Dimbulah to the Mitchell river that stopped us in our tracks.

Heres a video of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqUIFybSkVU&feature=g-upl&context=G2c8d5e6AUAAAAAAAAAA

Cheers Kezza

:rilla
  7. lookfar

lookfar from the land of OZ

Oddometer:
    Well, after a primary carby strip and clean, (was waiting for gaskets) the old XL appears to be running sweetly again.
    Might take it for a ride out to copperlode tomorrow to test it out. Was a right royal PITA, undoing bolts etc that haven't budged for over 20 years.....
  8. macdoc

macdoc Canuck in Cairns

Oddometer:
    Thinking I would not mind closing that last gap Friday- maybe ride along the coast early - up the Rex to Mulligan Highway and poke around the other side of the Mitchell River and back along Lake Mitchell to the Kennedy and home.

Anyone interested in a leisurely ride - I'd want to do a bit of bird watching in the Lake Mitchell area.
    Some nice tips here for areas to go

http://www.birdwatchers.com.au/local_birding_areas.htm

hmmm

wet season cometh :(

[​IMG]

anyone got amphibious mcycle??

Now I really want to see the other side of the Mitchell. :D
  9. macdoc

macdoc Canuck in Cairns

Oddometer:
    Does it ever stop??? :cry
  10. galbo950

galbo950 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome to Far North Queensland.
  11. macdoc

macdoc Canuck in Cairns

Oddometer:
    Bah humbug ;)

Holed up at Annabel's Pies in Kuranda - at least it's dry under the awning.
    Pissing down big time. Ride up not too wet and mostly cleared when I went over the Myola Road to look at the Barron which to my surprised was well below the causeway

Mifi on the go is fun - at least I can work from elsewhere. Maybe even with some sunshine...tomorrow is another day...:freaky
    Poured a pint of water out of each boot - really came down in Kuranda where I was working out of - then eased off a bit but one soggy rider.
    Oh well felt good to be out again.

•• question

What do you use to keep glasses/goggles from fogging
    Something that beads up and the wind can roll it off
  12. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    It pretty much never rains west of herberton...
  13. macdoc

macdoc Canuck in Cairns

Oddometer:
    Thanks
    a) what about Lake Mitchell area>>

b) 100km to Herberton - would you go the Gillies or get up on the Tablelands sooner via Kuranda/Mareeba this time of year

TIA
  14. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    Depending where in Cairns you are the gillies was between 10 and 30 minutes faster. Probably a bit better than that if (unlike me) you're not riding the gillies on motocross knobbies in the wet... Also significantly less chance of wildlife on the gillies if you're heading out early.

You might wanna exit that area through dimbulah on the way home, taking the kuranda range.
  15. macdoc

macdoc Canuck in Cairns

Oddometer:
    Thanks

I'm in Edgehill - straight across Pease gets me south comfortably.
    Otherwise can pick up the Western Arterial either direction from McManus.

Yes riding on 50/50 Kendas up front and 80/20 on the rear so been taking it slow in the wet in the twisties.....hell I'm in serious tourist mode everywhere.

Variety is good - up one side down the other.

Kuranda is very foggy/misty in the morning.

Looked at Herbertville forecast and pretty solid rain there too...just how far west do I need to go for some sunshine :D

Considering heading over past Mt Carbine tomorrow see where the wind blows me but also considering Herbertville tomorrow as well. Be nice if teh dri-rider boots came in.
    Not gonna bother with rain suit - too muggy and I don't mind being wet but would like dry feet.
    Also would like to sort a coating for the riding glasses that beads.
  16. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    About 80% of the clouds that hit the gillies rain there without crossing over. What's left of that, mostly doesn't get over the range you'll ride up between atherton and herberton. And about 5 minutes ride past herberton is *another* range you'll have to ride over, which stops pretty much anything that manages to get that far.

The gillies is thick rainforest, the range east of herberton is thin rainforest, the range west of herberton is dry scrub, and the other side of that often goes 8 months without even a single drop of rain. It's the end of the wet season, so should be beautiful and green now, with actual water in most of the creeks (wow!). But it still doesn't rain much unless there's a cyclone nearby or late afternoon thunderstorms (never happens this time of the year). I lived out that way for 6 years.
  17. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    A product called rainex works really well on windscreens so I don't see why it wouldn't work on glasses. Yu get it from somewhere like autobarn.

Inside, it sound grose but your own spit works really well. Not a big snotty hoik, but gather some siliva in your mouth and spit that over inside of your goggles and dry off with a tissue. Stops them fogging up.

I haven't started the bike since out last ride to Mt Mulligan. Been too wet and the car is much better alternative, although nowhere near as much fun.

Kezza:evil
  18. macdoc

macdoc Canuck in Cairns

Oddometer:
    Yeah do the spit thing with snorkel mask but bit blurry for the road.

I use Rainex at home on the Burgman - cleans the bugs off and builds up a bead layer. Speaking of bugs - The James Bay trip was rather protein rich

[​IMG]

Guy at the Kawi dealer said he was out but something called Cat Crap ???:huh

Fogging is not so bad but the damn mist sits on the glasses even when I ride into the sunshine - just need it to bead so the wind will blow it off.

Getting the gear dry in the bit of sun today - will try for Herberton area tomorrow. Dri-Rider boots still not in :(

•••

Hmmmph clever fellas you Aussies - North American helmets not certified here and pretty stiff fine
    .....so $300 poorer for a convertible and a Dri-rider jacket.
    Damn jacket is a sauna when done up but figured if it saved ONE bit of my gear I carry in my shirt pockets was worth it.

Boots feel good but but they shifted this model and the treads are not as aggressive as the original design. Not sure how good they will be off road - might be slippy in the leaves and mud but comfortable on-road and good pavement grip.
    R-Jay Tour Tech -

[​IMG]

easy to flip up - wanted to try a convertible. Damn thing is heavy tho but GF is happy with me having a full face and I can flip the whole thing up and it's fine to ride at city speeds that way.
  19. macdoc

macdoc Canuck in Cairns

Oddometer:
  20. soul_adventurer

soul_adventurer grin and bear it

Oddometer:
    i will be back home at the end of march.
    anyone going for a ride or planning anything?