Cairns to Cape York & Gibb River Road

Discussion in 'Australia' started by BEC, Jul 8, 2005.

1. BEC

BEC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cairns to Cape York & Gibb River Road
    Has anyone done these roads on a bike and within the last year. I have heard good and bad things. I am concerned that the Vstrom could have some issues. I would put knobbies on the bike for the ride but I am questioning the road conditions. If I did the road to Cape York it would be in September and the Gibb River Road October/November.
  2. pRICK

pRICK Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Talk to Cape York Motorcycle Adventures about road conditions, they do motorcycle trips all through the dry season up Cape York, or the Dept of Main Roads at Woree on the southern outskirts of Cairns (they fix the roads in that part of the world and a couple of my mates work there). September is the end of the dry season so expect heaps of corrugations (about 4 per metre, thats about 4000 per kilometre for 500 kilometres say 2 000 000 in round figures and the Gibb River road is worse). Sure the Vstrom with knobbies will do it but you would be better off on a 400cc dirt bike with 4wd back up. Take your time, be aware of idiots in four wheel drives, as they will rarely slow down for a motorcycle and most are inexperienced on rough Cape York (and Gibb River) type roads. BTW get in touch with Seaswift and check the cost of shipping your bike from Seisia back to Cairns, I know of plenty who couldnt face the return trip even in four wheel drives. I have worked, fished, ridden motorcycles, fished, visited heaps of off the beaten track places, fished, rescued idiots in 4wds (and on motorcycles, but they are a different type of idiot) and lived for 10 years all over Cape York and would hate to see you miss one of the last remote places on the planet, so go for it, but be prepared to take your time and maybe ship the bike back to Cairns and book a flight from Bamaga to Cairns for yourself. Have a great time in Oz!!!

Dont worry about the last year, talk to someone who has done it in the last week!!!!
  3. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer:
    Shoalhaven above Tasmania and West of New Zealand
    Gibb River Road - a doddle :huh
  4. sandgroper

sandgroper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gibb river road, that should be fun on a bike:rofl If i recall correctly there are only two road houses along the 700 kms and me thinks one only sells diesel. I wouldn't leave it much later that Oct to the trip.
  5. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer:
    Shoalhaven above Tasmania and West of New Zealand
    :thumb - Sound advice indeed.

Bungle Bungles may be worth the risk though :dunno
  6. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    Yep. Conditions change quickly
    - a few road trains taking stock out over a few days can really mess up a road.

- a grader can tidy it up .. but only after some traffic has compacted the surface is it good on a bike.

Best to talk to people who have just come off the road. Or roadhouses and pubs on the road. For gibb river that would be the Barnett River road house IIRC.