Cairo - Cape Town, need advices

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by aurel, Sep 29, 2007.

1. aurel

aurel Cheese&Wine!

Oddometer:
    Hello riders,

I took my decision. I'll be one of the lucky guys who have the chance to do a world tour... :tb

First stage will be France - Tunisia - Libya - Egypt to meet some family I have over there.
    Second will be riding from Egypt to South Africa. Then I think I will the bike to Australia for example.

I need your help on some points.

1) First idea would be to cross the following countries :

Egypt
    Soudan
    Kenya
    Tanzania
    Mozambique
    Zimbabwe
    Botswana
    Namibia
    South Africa

I have all my time, I plan on two months, maybe more... What do you think about that ?

2) I will have a Carnet de Passage for customs so that I won't have to let a deposit in some countries. Do I will have problems at customs in some countries ?

3) What about fuel ? I have big tanks with a range over 800km so I think it won't be a problem. I'm much more concerned about bad fuel, is it hard to find "good" fuel ?

4) Would some of you offer me a place to stay in that countries ? Or a guided tour of your area, a drink, a talk, any help will be appreciated :thumb

5) Would you do wild camping or not ? I would try to do the cheapest trip possible...

6) What about security in those countries when travelling alone on a bike ?

7) I'm planning to leave next summer for Egypt and leave Egypt for South Africa around August/September. I could arrive in S.A. around October/November. What about weather ?

8) Feel free to give me any advice ! :D
  2. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    Can you tell us more about the carnet, how you'll get it, where you'll get it from, etc?

Sorry I can't give you any advice. I've never been to Africa.
  3. aurel

aurel Cheese&Wine!

Oddometer:
    Wikipedia has an article about Carnet de Passage :thumb
  4. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer:
    Hey Aurel, sorry mate, I cant help either, I have never been to Africa either.

:dunno:fishie:hide
  5. aurel

aurel Cheese&Wine!

Oddometer:
    Actually you can help me :shog
    I think I'll need some parts when I'll arrive in S.A. Maybe,
    - you could order these parts for me before I arrive (we could manage a pre-praid with paypal if you want).
    - and/or you could bring me to your local KTM dealer for a maintenance or help me to do it

I'm looking forward to meet you :freaky
  6. Carnivore

Carnivore Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey dere... when you get to SA you will find sum of de friendliest people on the planet....!
    Seriously, this true, but there are also sum notsonice people who despise two wheeler peepil. So, for a general word of advice for riding in SA... no problem at all. There are ample fuel stops, food places, camping places, spares places. Security is mostly OK, especially in smaller towns. Too much to talk about in a quick reply.

If you PM me, I can give you some email adresses of people who would gladly show you more than a helping hand - off the cuff, I have Steve in JHB who has some tremendous advice and experience to offer, Gerald and Wayne in East London, a whole host of guys in PE... honestly, this will be a VERY memorable place to ride and live for a while.

By the way, Namibia and Mozambique are absolute MUST DOs. I have just returned from a trip to Moz with my family, and it is a lovely place. Full of smiling people rebuilding from the ground up after years of stupid civil war. Can recommend at leat two awesome places to stay where you will have the time of your life!

Earlier this year 4 of us did 5000km to Namibia. It is an awesome, lonley, beautiful, rugged country. Good fuel, good people, good food, good value.

All the best with the planning.

Here is a picture of me at 120 kmh on a Namibia road - on the way to the hot springs at Ai-Ais. The additional driving lights are a must if you have to travel at night... which we were forced to do for some 400km due to a miscommunication...

Attached Files:

7. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    All (well teh ones you have asked so far ...) are answered in great detail on Horizoins Unlimited .. http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/
    Seperate section on paper work - carnets ...
    Seperate section on packing ..

And then there is the 'hubb' .. http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/
    Seperate secion on Sharan Africa
    Seperate secion on southern Africa (non Shara)
    Seperate secion on Heath on the road
    Seperate secion on Paperwork
    Seperate secion on differnet bike manufactures ..

Then there is the journal, people bogs .. it is all about international motorcycle travell.. with bits on 4WDs and bicyclkes too.. You'll be days reading over there ..

2 months is quick. Take longer if you can.
    Books - "Africa Overland" is good .. as is Chris Scotts "Adventure Motorcycling Handbook"

Sorry all in English .. I don't handle French as well as you do English ..
  8. aurel

aurel Cheese&Wine!

Oddometer:
    Nice pic :thumb
    I think I'll PM a bit before my departure to have some contacts over there, thanks for the offer :freaky

I've already spent a lot of time on this website, unlimited horizons, a lot lot lot of great advices there. I was just looking for some more here :thumb

I know 2 months is quick but one year is quick too for a world tour :D I'll try to see as much things as possible but I won't take more than 3 months.

About the books I'll try to find it as many people recommand it.
    Thanks for your help :ilmostro
  9. aurel

aurel Cheese&Wine!

Oddometer:
    I forgot, I already have some aux lights on my bike because I know how scary it is to drive by night in that "kind" of country :eek1 Because of the bad road, animals, children crossing, bicycles, etc, etc
  10. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    Hmm - if I am still in SA - I will be able to help you 100%.

I give you beeg special deal - you give me 15 euros to one south african rand, and I will order everything you want plus a new motorcycle and I will take your old one :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hows that?

No problem Aurel, it will be great to meet you too, unless you and your sweaty riding partner looking a little like Brokeback Mountain want to um... get a little too... umm close.

:rofl
  11. aurel

aurel Cheese&Wine!

Oddometer:
    :rofl
    Very funny post, you make me smiling and it's good today considering my bike just got stolen, thanks :thumb

And don't be afraid about Brokeback Moutain, I'm not like that, really not :D
  12. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    ai jai jai.........:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry not good :cry:cry:cry

But with Brokeback Moontin, they all say - dont worry Lito, come a little closer.............

:rofl:rofl:rofl

Mate, get back on the saddle as soon as you can. Damn..
  13. aurel

aurel Cheese&Wine!

Oddometer:
    ya... I hope so...

see u :freaky
  14. Carnivore

Carnivore Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gentlemen and ladies...

would it not be just ever so darn splendid if we could organise a complete staged accompanyment for our French Friend, from Messina to Cape Town and back to the Namibia border, passing him on to the next bunch of loonaticks...... what a gr8 thing that would be....

ta ta.... who's gonna pick up on this?

Lito, you mad, every one knows that 20 euros per rand is the going rate.....

( be gentle - he's gotta get a new bike first - what a terrible thing to happen, and he is not even in Joburg yet.)
  15. aurel

aurel Cheese&Wine!

Oddometer:
    20 euros per rand ? Cheap ! I'm coming ! :lol3
  16. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    damn Aurel. Told you to keep your sex life out of this...

Sounds good. I might be keen to do such a trip, maybe even the whole way. Aurel, you better make sure I am still here mate, otherwise, I will be in Canada - now that would be an epic ride:clap

Keep us in the loop o luney tune and may the balls of every bike thief rot and fall off.
  17. aurel

aurel Cheese&Wine!

Oddometer:
    Ya I'm on the way to get a new bike thanks to KTM France, I hope it will work! :ear
  18. Carnivore

Carnivore Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Viva la KTM de France...

Gents, kindly note that I, like the blue Genie in Aladdin, am outa here!!!!!!!!!

Off to Gamkaskloof (The Hell) and other idyllic places, at 5 am.... 3 days...1250 km ..... 300 jpgs.... 75 litres unleaded....

Bye for now..
  19. Gruebane

Gruebane Pawn Star

Oddometer:
    Aurel , i am in johannesburg , south africa (who by the way are going to win the world cup :evil ) anyway when you are in JHB it would be my pleasure to show you around a bit ...i know the ktm shops and the beer places

Before you get another KTM , for this trip of yours you might want to consider something a bit simpler and lighter like a klr or DR to do this trip. In africa there are no ktm spares except in south africa..... no bivouac every night to fix your bike , no friendly ktm store.

2 months is a bit quick ...

as my esteemed country mate said ,,no brokeback mountain stuff eh ....we know u french ppl :rofl
  20. aurel

aurel Cheese&Wine!

Oddometer:
    No no no, the KTM 990 will do the job :D
    And yes 2 months is quick but as I'll have the time I want I think I'm going to spend 3 months at least in Africa :thumb

I have some pics of me with hot french chicks as proof if you want :lol3