1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Cake Kalk OR

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by YamaLink, Dec 26, 2019.

1. YamaLink

YamaLink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Neil E. and woodsrider-boyd like this.
  2. Neil E.

Neil E. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If the Kalk had a quick change battery, it would be close to what I want. I need a machine with good range, good performance and a compliant North American VIN.
  3. woodsrider-boyd

woodsrider-boyd Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer:
    Article mentions it has a quick swap battery. It’s probably very expensive though. Worth it if you can afford it.

Just looked it up, extra battery, $3k.

https://ridecake.com/kalk-or/
    ScottieDucati likes this.
  4. ScottieDucati

ScottieDucati Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If they can make it a few more years and update accordingly... got some interesting things in the works. Solar with battery in a charger for off grid charging, with the swappable batteries that could be legit!
    woodsrider-boyd likes this.
  5. ElApinista

ElApinista n00b

Oddometer:
    I recently bought the Cake Kalk& and so far so good, no problems with it and no issue getting it plated (Washington State). I considered the Electric Motion, but decided on the Cake since I could plate it. I have 21 acres on a mountainside that borders the national forest. I wanted something to use on the single track on my property and ride into town every now and then. I also wanted something quiet so the noise wouldn't carry up and down the canyon. The only downside is that Kalk& uses 19" rims and good enduro tire selection is limited. The bike is light and fun to ride. I come from a motorcycling (two petrol bikes in the garage) and mountain biking background. So far customer service has been great. Happy to answer any questions.
    jimmex, junior, ScottieDucati and 4 others like this.
  6. Bolzen

Bolzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Range at 50 mph. :-)
  7. ScottieDucati

ScottieDucati Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Why? That’s.... not what this bike is for.
  8. Bolzen

Bolzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is it for, pedaling?
  9. junior

junior Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does it have a rear foot brake or just the 2 hand brakes? Thought I saw a foot brake on the &. They are so sweet looking! Congratulations. I’d really like to know how you like it. What’s your size?
  10. ScottieDucati

ScottieDucati Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It’s meant for something much closer to trials or BMX speeds. Nowhere near 50 mph steady cruising.
  11. Bolzen

Bolzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Take a little trip into E-world:

12. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't say I care for how and where the guy was riding at times, but I love that EM!! I'm getting pretty tired of seeing EMs that try to look like ICEMs only because that's what people are used to - not because it's what works best for an EM.

Note the light but well-triangulated frame tubes that don't make up just the frame, but also the battery box. It's not just lighter and simpler than a typical ICEM frame, I'll bet dollars to donuts it's stiffer too. I'm thinking the whole bike weighs under 200 lbs.

Scale that up to maybe 250 lbs. (300 for a long-range version), with twice the power and a top speed of 90 - 100 mph and you've just created my vision of EM Nirvana. Why are the majors so terrified of coloring outside the lines drawn by ICEMs? Why is this coming from Russia(?) and not Asia, Europe or the US?

WHY CAN'T I BUY ONE???
  13. Bolzen

Bolzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That exactly was the message -- people tend to think too stereotypically. Oh, this is a trail bike -- no no no, don't hit the road or you will crash or stop in 20 min, this bike is not made for that :-)

The one in the video was introduced earlier in the news section. It's based on time-proven steel tubular frame and current version accommodates 72 V, 90 Ah, 6.5 kWh battery with the estimated range of 60+ miles at 50 mph. Bike features m/c brakes, forks, headlights, handlebar etc and was designed with operation in real road conditions in mind.
  14. ScottieDucati

ScottieDucati Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ....and that’s nothing like the Cake.
  15. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    You make a valid point, but the limited availability of tasty road EMs has people looking at dirt bikes. I for one will be very interested in how the Sur-Ron Storm Bee works as an SM by accessorizing and modding the street-legal version of it. Though I suspect it won't measure up to my ideal I described above.

The search continues. Sometimes you look in unlikely places.
    ScottieDucati likes this.
  16. ScottieDucati

ScottieDucati Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would love an Alta-equivalent with longer range too... but weight and batteries dictate the fun play bikes are best suited for lower speeds. The Cake approach is absolutely geared to a fun bike that can urban commute. Not highways.
  17. Bolzen

Bolzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One can buy more than 2 such EMs and ride it everywhere -- yeah, it's probably nothing like the Cake
  18. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    What battery cells does that Velomastera bike utilize? It has a huge battery.

Cake battery:
    Battery
    18650 lithium cells
    51.8 Volt
    50 Ah
    2.6 kWh

So that is probably a 14s 20p battery using 2500mAh cells?
  19. Bolzen

Bolzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    NMC packs.

Cake is a great bike, but its price looks more like a try to find a way out of crisis.. by oneself ) If Ohlins suspension takes say 2 grands, one can still wonder where are the other 7.
  20. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    Some major frame parts are carbon so that certainly adds a bit of expense

If I had the money for one of these, I almost certainly would buy one as a city supermoto - the cost makes a lot more sense when you look at it in direct comparison with something like a highly customized MX-based supermoto bike, than if you compare it to something like a CRF230L