Calabogie Boogie Dual Sport Ride Sept 7 & 8

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TDY, Jun 29, 2013.

1. yamafitter

yamafitter Old Cranky Guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not Toronto therefore off the edge of the world
    I am never lost though sometimes I have misplaced my destination nor was I leading when we turned into the parking lot in Ottawa. Are you still going on safari in North Carolina in search of your imaginary road at EOM this year??
  2. bungie4

bungie4 Frostback

Oddometer:
    You did turn into the strip mall on the way to Tofino only to do a U-Turn and back out on the hwy in the right direction. Just because your GPS says to turn doesn't make it so. Believe me, I know.

and ya, that imaginary road is on my hit list. Funny thing, we were oh so close. If you click on the panoramio pic, the photographer tells you EXACTLY where it is.

I'll take a pic of my bike on that road just for you. But I won't tell you exactly where it is because I'm good that way.
  3. huron52

huron52 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You guys won't make me late for supper will ya? :huh
  4. huron52

huron52 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To answer your question... Bungie and I got a room at the motor inn. Unlike the Orgy that Yamafitter has going on at the Lodge across the street.:evil

I'm all set for transportation.
  5. dvs

dvs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    LOL, face palm to how this weekend may turn out especially if beer is flowing. LOL

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk
  6. bungie4

bungie4 Frostback

Oddometer:
    'Fitter? Late for supper?!

Why do you think I never found 'the road' at EOM a few years ago. It was 4pm and 'Fitters stomach took over.
  7. bungie4

bungie4 Frostback

Oddometer:
    I was a little offended that the room at the Inn was described as 'two queens'.

Meh. So long as nobody whispers "Hold me closer tiny dancer" I'm good with it.

Thanks for the cable for the GPS. Puts my mind at ease. Ordered up a cradle and 1.75G Rotopax from DualSportsPlus just a couple of minutes ago. I figure that the odds of 'Fitters bike running out of gas, I ought to be able to sell that 2G for about $20 a liter on the trail.
  8. huron52

huron52 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between him and Pam on our trip to Utah I never had to worry about going hungry. :wink:
  9. dvs

dvs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dammit! Now I can't get that song out of my mind.

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk
  10. horseyheather

horseyheather horseyheather

Oddometer:
    Hey there dual sport riding ladies,

The Calabogie Boogie is a great place to come and have an interesting, scenic ride. I have been participating in the Boogie, with helping design the scenic routes and with pre-riding for the last four Boogies. Lots of guys come out and join us, but it sure would be great to have some more women participate too! (No offense to the guys out there. Your company is good, too.) Lunches are fantastic and so is the banquet. This year's guest speaker is a famous, lady enduro rider, Toni Sharpless. Hope to see you next weekend. Go to OFTR or BMA website to register.
    Take care.

Heather
    Chair of the 2013 Calabogie Boogie.

P.S. I don't know about the rest of you who have already registered, but I can hardly wait until next weekend! There better be awesome weather!!(please do your sun dances, people)
  11. shaweetz

shaweetz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :y0! are we there yet?

Just wondering if there are any plans to release the tracks before Friday. It might save some time to avoid battling technology if some of us could load them in advance.

Cause tech always works sooo smoothly. Right? :uhoh
  12. huron52

huron52 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If they aren't posted tonight, I will have to wait until tech inspect friday

No problem..... cause I'm following bungie :rofl
  13. TDY

TDY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's odd, I thought I replied to your question but I must have hit the wrong button. Yes we will try to email the tracks tonight

14. shaweetz

Oddometer:
    Just going through the package now, looks awesome :clap!
  15. bungie4

bungie4 Frostback

Oddometer:

Well I'm following the Gimp. I figure if I lose him.. er.. if he loses me, I know you'll at least have a functioning GPS that we can use.

BTW, the routing email arrived in my mailbox today. Unfortunately, DualSportPlus is holding my order, which includes the Ram mount for my 2820. No big woop. I figger were world traveling FJR riders. What could possibly go wrong :lol3

Course, I could just ride my FJR. I can mount the GPS to that.
  16. dvs

dvs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Post has been edited:

Sorry just re-read my post that I wrote on my phone, I think I sent the wrong message with the wording and all. Texting with the phone sucks.

Mainly concerned about the getting there for Tech, if I had to get my old GPS going again and what the overnight situation was for the bikes.

Based on the info that TE450 provided below I should be good on all points.
  17. TE 450 Pilot

TE 450 Pilot Bike Collector

Oddometer:
    The trail leaders are good. Sweeps are as well. A great group. No need to worry if you are on the DS lead ride. You can go through Tech Saturday morning. I have only ever just took the key out of my bike. I guess if you are worried you can chain up your bike.

Be sure to thank the Guys and Gal who put a lot of hours into setting this up.

Randy
  18. dvs

dvs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh that's a given. People don't see the work that goes into things to make it run smooth.

If not said, the thanks is already there at least from me!

Thanks for the information by the way.
  19. bungie4

bungie4 Frostback

Oddometer:
    We had a great time, I'll be back next for year for sure. The Dual Sport ride was well chosen. We ended up doing two of the technical sections on the Sat AM loop. Except for that last water hole on the pole line just before lunch, it was a blast.

Met lots of great people and the food was terrific. Pics 'n stuff to follow, though, I didn't take to many.
  20. shaweetz

Oddometer:
    I had a great time, and big thanks to TDY, horseyheather and all the other folks whose hard work brings this all together. I usually travel at this time of year but lucky for me, things lined up.

I showed up Friday night on my Tiger 800XC feeling a bit out of place, no huge truck, no 200ft toy hauler with recliners in the back, with the hugest bike on the streetiest tires. What have I signed up for?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And why did I pitch my tent beside that guy who runs his generator at 1am? :huh

I didn't feel that way for long though, after meeting some of the other DS crew the next morning. Still, the biggest thing going was a DR650 and a few KLRs, all with much knarlier tires than me. It could be interesting.

[​IMG]

I have nothing to prove, so I opted to stick with the all 'scenic' route and not do any of the 'tech' options. I will say that from a naming point of view, the name 'scenic' evokes a leisurely stroll through the concession roads, which some of it is, but some is not, and so the name scenic sort of implies that you are wussing out by not doing the tech options. I was on my toes and had a blast for the whole thing, and TDY put together a great mix of challenges that had our group pretty much burnt out by day's end. So it was technical enough for me.

Our group distilled down to four, and our ostensible ride lead Tim had left his GPS back at his posh motel, so in typical fashion I ended up leading our group into the unknown.

[​IMG]

My new-to-me gopro conked out almost immediately :(:

[​IMG]

Lunch at the K&P trailside was a hoot. Besides the incredible butter tarts, my favourite part was the go-hut loaded on the flatbed and transported to lunch for our enjoyment. So to dump you climb up on the flatbed and do your business like the king of the world. Amazing.

[​IMG]

The gopro lasted long enough in the afternoon to get some shots of some fun, easy access road stuff:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got wanged in the face with a few low branches, I really need to close up that visor more often. Being 6'3" and standing on the pegs can make for some interesting moments.

Lack of coffee and the poor judgement of ingesting too many sugary treats at lunch, and the energy started to bottom out. I had been hot to do Tech Option 1 in the afternoon, but by the time we got to the split, I had to be honest and declare that I was too tired to attempt it. Thankfully the decision was unanimous, which was good because the New Road to 511 was a challenge enough.

[​IMG]

Sunday AM, the so-called 'scenic' group grew and split into two, so I set out with Ewan and Jason:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had a hoot. Ewan took the lead, which despite the dust I really enjoyed since you learn a lot from watching other people's lines and technique and Ewan is a great rider.

Five minutes before lunch, things went pear-shaped:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I won't detail what happened here, since I did it in Face Plant http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=918289, but in a nutshell I went wide into the marbles, couldn't recover, and literally ended up in the weeds before jumping a ditch and then highsiding. Amazingly all I got for that was a bruised knee, some damaged parts I had been thinking of replacing anyway, and wounded pride that I didn't have much of to start with. So, lucky this time.

I took the short route back in the afternoon in case my knee decided to get worse, which it didn't, and all is well. Thankfully the crash hasn't clouded my enjoyment of the whole weekend, and I had an awesome and memorable time. Thanks everyone!