Calgarians that dualsport

Discussion in 'Canada' started by macuser, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Husty

Husty n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Folks. I just moved up to Calgary from Lethbridge/Fernie and purchased a DR650 to ride around some forestry roads, easy trails, and maybe commute to downtown for work.. any interest to meet up for rides in the area? Lots to new ground to explore in the area, I spent tons of time in the Crowsnest Pass and the Porkeys as a kid riding dirt-bikes but not too much highway experience.

Still need to finish break-in as the bike is new and bring it up from Lethbridge. Planning to do a loop to break it in through Cypress Hills once things dry up more. Excited to get some riding in around the Bighorn and other local forestry areas and see how a heavy bike does in the dirt.
    ScooterNoMore and cal08 like this.
  2. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    First post! Sent a pm
  3. wylie348

wylie348 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Triumph scrambler 1200 for road and FE 350 for technical terrain.
    powderzone and Lycan1 like this.
  4. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    FX, TE, TX no good?
  5. wylie348

wylie348 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking for a nimble bike that can still ride street as I like to do rallies that need to have street legal bike but that can handle the single track sillies.
    cal08 likes this.
  6. powderzone

powderzone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    450 Six Days. BF has a ‘17 with zero miles for $10.5K OTD. or grab a 500 /501 w a 4gal tank.
    wylie348 likes this.
  7. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    20190409_100001_resized.jpg Took both my Beta and 950 down to Moab this week for some R&R. Have to say that I am super impressed with the capabilities of the 950 in the more technical sections. We rode Lockhart Basin (north to south) and this heavy-weight found a way through some sketchy ledges and baby-head infested climbs with relative ease (in spite of its rider).
    B-Rod, ScooterNoMore, Lycan1 and 4 others like this.
  8. Pjammer

Pjammer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Also just came back from a week in Moab, with The Dirt Circus.

My first time, and wow. What an experience that place is. Didn't make it to Lockhart, but heard good things about it. Nice job on the big bike down it.

I highly recommend making the trek down to all "dual-sport" type folks. Worth every minute of the drive.

KIMG4440.JPG KIMG4414.JPG
  9. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Moab was an amazing place and my old 990 was a ton of fun out there. I'll be back.
  10. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you need that big tank?
  11. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    If you do all of White Rim trail you will. The stock tank on the 990 was not enough and with the extra 5.6 liters I was still thinking I was going to run out getting back to town I had a little over a liter when I made it back to Moab. It was hot that day so I probably lost some to boiling off.

That was my experience anyway.
    cal08 likes this.
  12. Pjammer

Pjammer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ya, I think it would have been tight for me on White Rim. My fuel light came on, with about 50km to go, so I opened my front tanks.
    Stock tank on the 690 is 12 liters, and the Rally raids add another 5 per side. So close to double. I try not to fill them if I know I won't need it, for weight saving. But they were definitely full that day.
    powderzone, cal08 and Lycan1 like this.
  13. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone here have info on shipping a bike to EU and leaving it there? I know about the AC and WJ thing and green card insurance but is it OK to leave the bike registered here in Alberta and leave the plate on it over there?

I am seriously contemplating taking my VStrom over there and leaving it with a friend in Spain. Save renting all the time. Be a good bike for riding over there.

Never really thought about doing this until KTM came out with their 790 Adventure which has caught my eye!
  14. tokenboy

tokenboy Gnirly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I lived in Tunisia for just under 5 years for work. I shipped my 990 over when I moved there in 2010. I left my AB registration on the entire time. I did have to import it to Tunisia and get a Tunisian plate & Insurance (ha ha!). The idea with the AB plate was to do a European tour before I moved home. From my research at the time I think it would have been easier to go through Europe on an AB plate than Tunisian plate.

In the end I did not do the Euro ride (I did a lot in Tunisia though!) and when I moved back to Calgary and my bike showed up in the crate I just pulled it out and put my still current AB plate back on and went for a ride that afternoon!

The trick is that is you are leaving it there with an AB plate, you'll be telling your insurance company and the Gov't of AB that the bike is still in Alberta, not Spain.
    Cal likes this.
  15. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    be careful with the insurance on an Alberta bike out of the country, my insurance company Intact said once I was out of country for 6 months it was no longer valid. This was when I said I was going to keep it in the US for longer than 6 months, it may be diff. for Europe? Best to check. L ended up buying a transalp in Ireland and I stored it in Spain.
  16. tokenboy

tokenboy Gnirly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that is what I was trying to dance around. If you do what you are suggesting, you don't tell your insurance co or AB registries and you don't really have insurance (unless you get some over there).
  17. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I understand about the insurance. ie. need to purchase insurance over there (the "green card" thing seems to be the way to go). I was wondering more about the license plate issue. Could I just leave the AB plate on it over there, even if expired (after removing the stickers)? Renewing it here (and taking the new sticker over there) requires proof of insurance. Not sure the EU "green card" would suffice. I know some people don't bother with license plate renewal on bikes they leave there but I am a little leery of that. Insurance may not be valid if the bike is not legally registered.
  18. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    drrod Get a hold of Martin Hurley at Motofierme in Cork Ireland he should know the ins and outs. He is an inmate here and has a facebook page. I am travelling now but have his contact ibfo at home if you want it, PM me. I have twice bought green card insurance for 3 month trips in Europe.
  19. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Cal! I appreciate your help. I am in no rush so when you get home, if you could send me Martin's contact info, I would appreciate it. Is he "wheatwacker" on the forum here?
  20. V4Moto

V4Moto V4Moto

Oddometer:
    I'm okFinally got my first 150km of running in behind me. Rebuilt heads on the GS so Im easing it back to life. Carsland weir was quiet but naturally stunning.
    IMG_20190412_150931.jpg IMG_20190412_152631.jpg IMG_20190412_152318.jpg
    cal08, wylie348, Cal and 3 others like this.