Calgarians that dualsport

Discussion in 'Canada' started by macuser, Feb 9, 2009.

1. cal08

cal08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can pm if you'd like. Sometimes chit chat on the phone can answer a lot more. If it's protection, that's one path, and if it's protection and medically defined support, that's another. One is about 400 to 1000 and over the counter; the other is upwards of 3k and 100 percent custom. Share the details, so I can direct you further.
  2. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A bit of a strange request.....
    My daughter and SIL are joining me on a Mongolian ride at the end of the week. They have the Cardo Packtalk Slim intercom system that they would like to take. One of the units has quit and requires replacement but it will not arrive in time.

Does anyone have one of these units they would be willing to lend from now till just after Thanksgiving? I realize it is a big ask but if you do, you can PM me.

Thanks
    Rod
  3. ColumbusTheExplorer

ColumbusTheExplorer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I noticed that you are using a garmin 64 GPS unit on your dirt bike. If you used the device for any navigation in the park, you may find this helpful. I converted the government supplied trail map (Found here: https://open.alberta.ca/publications/mclean-creek-public-land-use-zone-designated-trails-and-roads) to a google map kmz file that can be overlayed on your Garmin device. This gives you the view of the map on the handheld. 20190916_110637.jpg
    You can also turn on the topo maps that would then give your the topo overlay overtop. 20190916_110723.jpg

If you wanted to try on your Garmin, the map is attached(McLean Creek PLUZ Map-20190401-20190908.gpx). This site will not permit the upload of a .kmz file, so it's currently a gpx file. It will need to be renamed with a .kmz extension before using it. You can then put this file into the CustomMaps folder on the garmin in either the main storage or the SD card. This file can also be imported into Garmin Basecamp to be used with your tracks or google earth as well.
    Also attached is a gpx file with all of the trail head markers(McLean Creek PLUZ Trail Markers-20190907.gpx). They are numbered just like the map. This could be imported into Garmin Explore and then synced to the device. There are quite a few of them and they can get a bit cluttered. You can decide which if any you want on your device. You can see in the pictures what they look like. If not you will still see the black dot that is on the gov't map, but is near impossible to read the number. I'm working on getting a higher resolution image to see if that would work better.

Attached Files:

AJRJ and powderzone like this.
  4. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use UClear. You're welcome to borrow one or two of mine if that will work.
  5. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer but I have a spare Sena unit that could be pressed into service if needed (may have pairing problems). I just thought if I could borrow the Scala unit she could still use her microphone and speaker setup.
    Thanks though.
  6. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're welcome. This sort of snafu only seems to pop up at the last minute. Good luck.
  7. Pjammer

Pjammer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was in the same boat this spring.
    I tried 3 different sets on. 1st was a pair of EVS. They were well used, but fit not too bad. 2nd set were/are Pod K8 carbon.
    I bought them off Kijiji, and really wanted them to be the ones, but they were just too small. (Quick plug - currently on Kijiji.
    Pod K8 Carbon knee braces,
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-other...ampaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android )

Final set, and the winner for me are the Mobius X8. They fit my legs the best, and are the most comfortable I tried.

All that said, I'd recommend trying on as many as you can get your hands on.
    You are more than welcome to try the 2 pairs I currently own, if it helps.
    My Mobius are Large, and the Pods are Medium. You can check both brands sites to see about sizing
  8. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Pjammer, those Mobius caught my eye too. I'm trying not to get too attached to any one product until I understand more about knee braces, hence my desire for an expert in the field to steer me straight. And, glad you found what works for you.
  9. cal08

cal08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Little one is new clutch happy happy. I really didn't appreciate how glazed over those plates were, as I always assumed the difficulties getting in and around obstructions and getting out of problems was the learning curve for her. The reality was the burned out clutch was preventing her from learning and effective problem solving. its nice and snappy now. Right from the staging area got a big smile and a comment about how twitchy the bike is. It was a good time to repeat previous discussions about gear selection, terrain reading and clutch slipping. The more we get out the more she processes. We stayed out over late and closed the place down in pitch dark. For the thousandth time I wish I had a go-pro: a particular image presented itself under dusk with the front light of the TE shining as she navigated some trees and mud with that lovely blue smoke meandering about her. It would have been a good shot of her as a keepsake.

Another great daddy-daughter evening for me. I can tell she is growing up fast now, and I know these times will soon wane for her other yet to discover priorities. I will miss these times.
    wylie348, Cal, BenzADV59 and 4 others like this.
  10. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    As a father to 2 late 30 year olds, I can tell you there will be more to look forward to.
    wylie348, ScooterNoMore and cal08 like this.
  11. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree. My daughter has ridden (on her own bike) with me in several parts of the world. When she got married that kinda got put on the back burner for a bit but now she and her husband are going to join me in a ride across Mongolia. I can't really express how excited I am about this. There is just something about riding with your kids that is hard to put into words.
  12. AJRJ

AJRJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another option might be custom braces. I use the CTI 2.braces, I got mine through Hi Tech. They are based in Lethbridge but come to Calgary for custom fitting. They are expensive, but may be covered by benefits. They also completely rebuilt them at no charge after 6 years of abuse, which is a huge plus. Ironically I have more knee issues now on my MTB than Offroad where the braces keep my knees happy happy.
    Pjammer likes this.
  13. cal08

cal08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Cal , @drrod1,

Thank you gentlemen.

I'm glad you are all my brothers.
  14. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    I'm also a happy customer of CTI. Each brace was around $1800, of which 100% was covered by my health insurance plan at the time. I could never get a decent fit for all-day comfort with an off-the-shelf brace. The custom fitted ones are great if you can get them covered under your insurance.
  15. cal08

cal08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CTI for me as well.
  16. wylie348

wylie348 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Totally agree how awesome to ride with your kids! Now its time to find a bigger bike for my daughter who likes to ride...
    263EFFA9-CCCA-4BEE-962D-23ECD20F003A.jpeg
    powderzone, MikeRC, drrod1 and 2 others like this.
  17. cal08

cal08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a great shot capturing that smile. Congrats!

Edit: just thinking, your kid gets the 350. You get the next new one on your list.
    wylie348 likes this.
  18. MikeRC

MikeRC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If that is the Golden Eagle Festival with Renedian, say hello to Rene & Piet Human. I will be joining him in Mendoza mid-November :wave

Mike Cassidy
  19. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes it is although Piet is not guiding this trip. John Wellburn is. I don't think Rene is going to be with us either. He is getting pretty tied up and I think he will still be in Africa. If either are there, I will certainly pass on your regards.
    BTW - did the Mendoza to Ushaia ride last fall. Great trip!!
    MikeRC likes this.
  20. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Last gasp camping.

Anyone local ADVers that want to get out of Dodge Saturday and join camping are welcome. We will be heading up Trans Alta from muster point at Tim's Cochrane (the one by the Husky) at 09:00 tomorrow.
    If you are interested just show up and have what you need along.

downloadfile(17).jpg

Snow forecast for next weekend.
    powderzone and wylie348 like this.