Calgarians that dualsport

Discussion in 'Canada' started by macuser, Feb 9, 2009.

1. KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout adventure flyfisher

Oddometer:
    Of course it was called Snowridge back then and you 4x4 past K-lakes over the top to Elk lakes ...... Man you're old .......
    Cal likes this.
  2. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    In 1979 Myself and 3 friends skied over to Elk lakes in minus 25 where we had a great campsite in deep snow. On the way home going down a steep run, I went first and fell and the 50lb backpack broke my collar bone. I could not wear the pack so my friend carried mine on his chest and his on his back for 11km back to the car. I walked and carried my skis. We were hoping the car would start!
  3. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just back from the Moto show and had a good look at the Dunlop Trailmax missions, I think they look like a good 50/50 tire and reviews have been good, reo said they are in stock here in Calgary
  4. Bones Over Metal

Bones Over Metal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was the BMW R18 concept there?
  5. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry I paid no attention to the BMW booth:lol3
  6. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    I'm going tomorrow after breakfast at the Blue Star diner at 8.

Always the highlight of January.

I'm hoping the Husky 901 explorer concept is there. Curiousity more than anything. I honestly don't want any other bike than what I have.
  7. LANCIVPT

LANCIVPT Carbon Pilot

Oddometer:
    What do you have? I have a GSA 1200 and a 501s .Sadly there was no 901 on display at the show. I’m extremely happy the BMW and bought the Husky to to improve my skills.
  8. GP640

GP640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Didn't see the 901 and KTM didn't have the 390 Adv.
    Hardley had their new cordless drill though.
    gpfan likes this.
  9. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    I have a 1090 R.

downloadfile(7).jpg

If money was no issue, I'd have a dirt bike for the same reasons. Although I do take the big bike to sometimes challenging places, it would be less costly and tiring on a smaller machine.

Shame that the North American shows are treated like the poor cousins. The manufacturers could do so much better.
    LANCIVPT likes this.
  10. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    The Calgary show. In review.

Not much really new but still time we'll wasted at this time of year.

Yamaha had all three colours of T-7 at the show. They seem top heavy when stationary.
    Blue plastic throughout the knobbie section as always.
    The huge 3 wheeled whatsits sat cockeyed but without fan fare this year. The street lineup sporting different colours, maybe? What year is it again?

Suzuki had the old and new Mr. Big with an education. A Dr. With more cc's.

IMG_20200111_125440384_HDR.jpg
    Partial to the above colour scheme. The yellow and blue was hideous and should have been left in the 80s with shoulder pads and Air Supply (the group).

Old school meets new age on the other side of the wall with the original and new Katana.

IMG_20200111_115617586_HDR.jpg
    A nicely done interpretation and reimagining of the classic.
    The rest of the Suzuki booth gave me a serious case of deja vu all over again as every show for the last 20 years.

The usual aisles of snake oil and sham-wow booths. Bondage / HOG wear and various spangles and whosits.

Harley would brand you for free in thier own hepatitis / tattoo booth right beside the overpriced electric scooter demo booth. They could have at least had a Black Widow look alike in tight leather, I mean really! I'll wait for the DeWalt version.

If Honda had anything new I missed it in the usual parking lot booth. A lot more deja vu. I think of the movie Groundhog Day most years going through their booth. They should play " I got you Babe" on the sound system. Even the "new" is camouflaged to look like all the rest.

Indian had the "flat tracker" which was very nicely put together and I'm not normally into the Brand. That Scout engine is a work of art. With two of those and two round plates of tempered glass I could have coffee tables my wife would hate.

Ducati, other than the scrambler all looks the same to me but like BMW is in a different tax bracket than I am so I tend to pay little attention to the brand.

Kawasaki didn't even have bold new graphics this year. The metallic green frame on the H2 is pretty. Demand for milk crates has plummeted without the KLR in the lineup.

Moto Guzzi has a beige version of the adventure offering for the colour blind old guys in the suburbs. The McDonalds colour scheme is still available.

The Husky factory guys forgot to bring the prototypes so nothing really new except an interesting Rally build up of a 501 by the men at Blackfoot Direct. Nice work Muffin Man.

They also had a KTM 790 adventure made up with every expensive part you could throw at it if you just married into big money.

Across the aisle KTM again, forgot to bring the new stuff and the only difference from last year at the Orange temple was the 1290 Super Duke R was at the pulpit and the congregation was short the 1090 R as it has been excommunicated.

As you wander you can get your glasses polished, you shoes polished, your back massaged, get smelly oils anointed, promises of much cheaper insurance, temped by guided excursions, asked to donate to all manner of wonderful causes, and have your prostate checked ( no not at the Harley booth).

What's not to like on a frigid Saturday in January!
    IMG_20200111_151710624_HDR.jpg
    Lycan 1 reporting.
  11. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    After the show,

I installed my new shorty levers from Savage direct from China. Perfect fit and actuates the micro switches.

IMG_20200111_144841402_HDR.jpg
    Brake side.

IMG_20200111_151535039_HDR.jpg
    Clutch side.
  12. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The katana was the original street fighter. I always liked it, but it did have a gimmicky look in some ways. This years looks a bit too much. It will be nice to see one on the street stripped down a bit more. I was a young man in Lethbridge and walked by a garage with a nice vett, a Katana and a few more toys. I commented on the Katana and the owner said he bought it but barely rode it. I could have it for 2K just to get it out of the garage. A pristine find. 2K may as well have been 20K at that time for me, so I declined. But it was a pivotal moment in me getting my ass in gear, as I was really pissed I couldn't take advantage of this really really good deal. Good memory for me Lycan. Thanks.
    Cal and Lycan1 like this.
  13. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
    Did KTM have a 390 ADV at the Calgary show?
  14. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Nope.
  15. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
    That what I figured. Thanks.
  16. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Only "new" KTM was the 1290 Super Duke R.
    RockyDS likes this.
  17. dwayne

dwayne Silly Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    it broke $.5/ litre for the first time at the start of gulf war I in, what, 1991? 29 years ago.
  18. dwayne

Oddometer:
    the “original” katana at the show was a 1994 model...you read that right. My buddy and I got curious when we noticed the huge Tokico front callipers, then the Japanese writing on the tank. A JDM model, supposedly the last one off the line, according to the rep.
  19. GP640

GP640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hopefully he wasn't BSing you like the young guy in the Honda booth who tried to tell my wife
    that the Rebel has a slipper clutch so it doesn't stall easily.
  20. dwayne

Oddometer:
    Who knows, but I cannot imagine a last model Katana being the most precious thing in the Suzuki collection. At least it makes sense.