Calgarians that dualsport

Discussion in 'Canada' started by macuser, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    So I posted in another thread about upgrading my Garage sound system .

IMG_20200112_103239206_HDR.jpg
    Had since the 80's and still works like new. I have some small Sony speakers but may kijiji search for some old school boxes. Anyway someone else posted a meme that made me laugh.

30150df899233113aec08443e1489bcb.jpg

:lol3
  2. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn Lycan I just sold some very large realistic speakers that I bought in the 70's I had the invoice taped to the back to support the lifetime guarantee from Radio Shack lol
    Lycan1 likes this.
  3. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ive some Paradigms that would suit. Great sound and not too big. Give me a day or so to think that through. My plans for the perfect garage are diminishing with age and my genuine desire for a smaller footprint.
    Lycan1 and Cal like this.
  4. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    I'm not in any hurry with this weather. I was going to dig around on the online garage sale closer to spring when the lane is still frozen and the garage much warmer.
    If you decide to get rid of them pm me with what you want for them.

Hey, I'm reducing, re using and recycling. I still have all the stereo gear that I bought before I moved out of my parents house, including the Ghetto blaster they gave me when I graduated high school. It all still works to. That is a low a footprint as I can get. I use things until they are DONE rather than replace when I get bored with them.

I always thought, buy quality once instead of constantly replacing cheap stuff, as cheap stuff is false economy.

Then cost of living caught up and I had to compromise my principles.

If the kids (adults ) would move out it would help but it's a tough economy to be starting out in and I want them to have the best chance at success without crushing debt.
    Camel ADV, Cal and cal08 like this.
  5. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's solid perspective. Debt is factual slavery. Children need to understand that, and helping them at the beginning is a great return.

Thought it through, the Paradigms are yours if you want them. When it fits come by and take a look; will pm the address again. We can trade some skills and experience a bit later on if you feel like you need to, but honestly it's all good: I'm just glad they are going to a good home. I haven't done my rocker adjustments on the 690 and am thinking about swapping in the evo cam; I think you are savvy on this points if I recall.
    Camel ADV, Fatallybitten and Lycan1 like this.
  6. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    I appreciate that and will be in touch.

I have learned alot of skills through the generosity of members of the local ADV community and forum in general. My confidence working on my own machinery has come a long way as a result. When it comes to the 690 I don't have any experience other than the KTM cams and valve buckets are similar and I have almost a decade of experience with those. I am happy to offer whatever experience will be of help for you as other like Fatally Bitten and Lav1200, Floss&fly, IaninCalgary, Pictor, and others have offered me.
    I have tools as well that I'm happy to share to save a brother buying their own for a once in a blue moon job. Again, the same courtesy has been afforded me on many occasions.
    I have heard a lot of lip service about community building in another thread that has been very polarising. Here in Calgary I have seen Community in action and am happy to be part of it and contribute as I am able.
    Cal, cal08, fasteer and 2 others like this.
  7. LANCIVPT

LANCIVPT Carbon Pilot

Oddometer:
    The Red team finally did it again since 1989 and first time for the USA , congratulations to Ricky and his team. Toby had a terrible race with the mousse disintegrating and the accident/death of Paulo.Still Husky/KTM made on to the podium , congratulations.
  8. Fatallybitten

Fatallybitten Slow and getting slower Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cal08, the valve check on the 690 is nothing like the valve check on the 990. There are lots of helpful videos on Youtube and comments in the 690 thread to help. Having done a valve check on my 701 I would also be happy to look over your shoulder if you like. It helps to have the shop manual for the 690 for this type of work as well. Happy wrenching!
    cal08 likes this.
  9. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you sir. I did end up reviewing the online knowledge set and this task doesn't look too bad. I'm looking forward to it.

*seriously wishes I had a heated garage*

A while ago there was a chap who hosted a clinic for the second gear members kids. North of here, and had an awesome track on his own property. He had perfect set up. Tons of room, rows of equipment, an upper level and bathroom. That guy had his shite together.
  10. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    My garage isn't heated but it is well insulated. If I take both cars out for a 15 minute run and park them back inside it warms up very nicely even in this ugly weather . Add a small plug in radiant heater and it stays very comfortable. The tools take time to warm up but that's what mechanics gloves are for.

If I had it to do all over the garage would have in-floor heating and I would have polished the concrete. Surprisingly not slippery like you would think.
  11. IanInCalgary

IanInCalgary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm prepping my WR250R for an upcoming multi-week ADVenture ride in, and around, Death Valley with a couple of inmates starting in late March. Because I'm not too crazy about changing rear tubes in the middle of nowhere I decided to try a mousse in my rear tire. I tried installing the Nitromousse mousse into a new 120/90 D606 by myself. There was no way this was going to happen. Fortunately, Lycan1 has an ultra heavy-duty homemade stand/bead-breaker so I took everything to his place and we made quick work of installing the mousse. We both have a fair amount of experience changing tires so we knew pretty much what we needed to do. If you install a mousse it would be good to look at a couple of videos to pick up some tips. The videos make it look easy. However, I think the mousses used in the videos are undersized.

If you are using a used mousse or an MX tire you "might" be able to install it yourself. However, a new mousse in a new DOT knobby is likely too much for one person to handle.

I'm looking forward to see how long the mousse will last. I typically get about 8,000 km out of a D606. If I could get that much life out of the mousse that would be terrific.

Thanks Lycan1. That was one of the easiest tire changes I've done. Your stand rocks!

Ian
  12. powderzone

powderzone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've never used bib-mousse myself but a couple of enduro buddies swear by them - but pretty sure they're using them in enduro tires. They generally shoot for 1,500 km.
    If you're riding on asphalt at all, keep the speeds down since the heat kills mousse's. What's plural for mousse? Mice? Mousse, like Moose? Meese?
    Enjoy DVNP! I didn't get to ride the entire area north of Titus due to that rogue snowstorm that hit SoCal in late November. Might get back there this year to ride that area.
    Fatallybitten likes this.
  13. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Amazing what you can make with junk and a little paint, ask Dodge....:lol3

IMAG0267.jpg
    It does come in handy.
    DualSport855, Cal and powderzone like this.
  14. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Long story that I'll skip, but I have a right hand side Lee-furbished KTM stock handguard that is free for the asking.

It was from a 2019 1090 demo bike and was all scratched up. I have a method of renewing all but the worst of scratch damage and this is 98% new condition now.
    It will fit 1090, 1290 and 790 KTM bikes and is complete with all hardware.

I have aftermarket guards on my bike now so this is here for the asking if someone damages their right guard and wants to keep it stock or simply cannot afford to replace the stockers with aftermarket.

IMG_20200201_121428889_HDR.jpg

Right side only!

IMG_20200201_121442637_HDR.jpg
    Should you find yourself in need just PM me and it's yours. Free installation service included.
  15. LANCIVPT

LANCIVPT Carbon Pilot

Oddometer:
    I rode my 2020 501 for the first time yesterday. IMG_0289.jpg
  16. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Not bad for January 31st!

So how do you like it so far?
  17. LANCIVPT

LANCIVPT Carbon Pilot

Oddometer:
    Surprising weather brake - I’m working on the first break in hour so I can’t really give it beans yet. My first impression coming of a GS is the saddle is a torture device - it has good low end torque as far as I can open the throttle and gets to 115 Km/h pretty briskly but then is revving pretty high already. I really got to appreciate that it is only going to be in its element in the dirt - can’t wait.
    Fatallybitten and Lycan1 like this.
  18. Fatallybitten

Fatallybitten Slow and getting slower Supporter

Oddometer:
    LANCIVPT, your post and photo reminded me that I was doing the same thing last year as I tried to get the first service done before I headed south in March. These were taken January 10th, 2019.

20190111_125456.jpg

20190110_131740.jpg

20190111_141229.jpg
    LANCIVPT, cal08, Lycan1 and 1 other person like this.
  19. LANCIVPT

LANCIVPT Carbon Pilot

Oddometer:
    Adjustments.jpg

We ( two other 501 owners ) are planning to go down to Moab in mid April again. The ride down at the end of March last year was cold and wet between Great Falls and Pocatello and I had the heated gear turned up all the way - was a great trip. This year we’ll all just truck our bikes down. I’m planning on taking the little one and the big girl if I can fit them all on my truck. In Moab we did all the popular big bike friendly trails including the White Rim Trail - an all day event - we were 4 GS’s , AT and 7 smaller dirt bikes . Except for the guy on the AT everyone was from Calgary and surrounding area. After 7 days we did the Burr Trail and eventually ended up in Kanab. I hit the slab back from there to Pocatello and next day back to Cochrane.
    cal08, Cal and Lycan1 like this.
  20. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice long day!
    LANCIVPT likes this.