Calgarians that dualsport

Discussion in 'Canada' started by macuser, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Meanwhile in my garage.....

A friend of mine wanted to improve my bike's fork skin set up, and "make it as good as his WR's".
    He gave me some 3mm plastic tubing, made of some very tough slippery material that I don't remember. He did tell me but I was distracted by a squirrel or something.

Anyway, I removed my Moose racing fork skin thingies and gave them a good hand wash and dry. No one likes a dirty fork skin.

Then after a trip to Princess Auto for a bag of 100 zip ties for $3.99 I returned home to bring my bike up to WR specs. Not wanting to have fun poked at me by engineers.

If you ever need to get a 3mm zip tie through a 3mm tube, no amount of lube will do, just ask an engineer. An engineer told me that most problems can be rectified by liberal application of lube, butt not this one....
    So I thought up my own little method. Warm the tubing then gently squeeze into an oval shape like so.

IMG_20200202_162559702_HDR.jpg
    Zip tie almost goes through like the tube was 4mm. Hmmmm.

IMG_20200202_162848426_HDR.jpg
    Two Tubed ties ready to tie around a tube or two.

IMG_20200202_164023721_HDR.jpg
    Two cleansed forkskins ready to have their tubed-ties tied to two tubes.

IMG_20200202_164811689_HDR.jpg
    Tubed-ties tied to two tubes to prevent chafing two forkskins. An un-lubed engineering marvel.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programing.
  2. IanInCalgary

IanInCalgary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That looks like polyethylene tubing which is naturally slippery. It's also wear-resistant so your fork protectors won't cut through it or the fork skins. Good thing you figured out how to get the zip tie through the tubing or you might get ribbed about it.

Ian
    Lycan1 likes this.
  3. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a great shot. And a fantastic trip as well.
    LANCIVPT likes this.
  4. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Some prefer ribbed....an engineer told me once.
    I think it might have been one time at band camp.
    ScooterNoMore likes this.
  5. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great! Now I have forkskin envy. Another reason to see the shrink. I can't analyse it without backup.
    Lycan1 likes this.
  6. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    So, tell me about your mother........
  7. gpfan

gpfan a mari usque ad mare

Oddometer:
    Fuck! Let me tell you about the time I tried to get fork 'andles:

8. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    hola from Hermosillo Mexico the strom was released from storage with no problems again! Headed to Guatemala, see you all the end of March A few rain showers but over all a little better than Calgary!
    cal08 and Lycan1 like this.
  9. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And that brings us nicely full circle from forkskins to billhooks; ending in the same neighbourhood.
  10. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Enjoy your trip and share a picture now and again. All the best!
    Cal likes this.
  11. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    SAM_2557.JPG

Hotel Belmar built in 1922 I stay here often its a tired old hotel in a great location. Arizona to here was just under 2000 km did it in 3 days. Next stop San Blas and then lots of small under the radar beach towns along the coast. riding with a guy who has a x country BMW 650 spent a total of 7 hours fixing things on this bike on the side of the road in small villages with him, it is an adventure! haha
  12. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So nice! A stellar triple AAA Shite day at work, so in my head I was smoking a decent cigar by that pool your at. Keep us posted. All the best.
    powderzone and Cal like this.
  13. powderzone

powderzone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is the type of shit that will end up shortening my lifespan. This is me not making much sense after not seeing a creek crossing until the last minute. To be clear I tried slowing down then realized how deep it was so tried to throttle out. It didn’t go great.

It was a pretty harsh landing. Thought I’d collapsed a lung at first and Angus was about to scramble the chopper but then I started laughing hysterically so he knew I was Okay.

Today I’m pretty beat up with probable bruised / cracked ribs, minor whiplash and puffy hands.
    ScooterNoMore likes this.
  14. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Yikes. Glad you got out on your own. Hope you heal up quickly. It took months for my ribs to heal this summer. Hopefully no concussion.

When I skied I had a set of yellow goggles that seemed to really bring out the otherwise invisible terrain variations. I can see why you missed that until you were right on it.
    powderzone likes this.
  15. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yikes!! Hope you are just bruised up a bit and nothing is broken. How long did it take to dig you out?
    powderzone likes this.
  16. powderzone

Oddometer:
    Ya the visibility wasn’t great and I had my darker lenses in since it started out sunny. Not ideal.
    Probably a slight associated concussion with the whiplash. I definitely feel off today so getting lots of rest.
  17. powderzone

Oddometer:
    I’ll be okay. Hands are coming around and I can laugh so the ribs can’t be too bad. Sneezing is bloody awful though.
    Digging out was easy. We just pulled it backwards a bit and I rode right out.
  18. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Taking it easy is a good idea but hard to do, especially on a long weekend. Hope you feel better and heal up fast! I won't recommend my usual cure for pain considering the concussion...
    powderzone likes this.
  19. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not to be an alarmist, but.......be careful with the ribs. They may be cracked and things like sneezing, coughing, etc may exacerbate that. So....be cognizant of pain getting worse or steadier.
    powderzone likes this.
  20. powderzone

Oddometer:
    Definitely will do. Thanks. I think the brunt of the impact was taken by my right pec so it hurts like hell but ribs are only tender.
    I think my buddy has PTSD from watching it happen and listening while I tried to breath for the first minute or so.
    ScooterNoMore and drrod1 like this.