Calgarians that dualsport

Discussion in 'Canada' started by macuser, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Yes I do. Pre season conditioning.

IMG_20200321_140758106.jpg
    Closer now. Chipping away at my sanity.....

Soon.

But I put away the lazy bastards bins. Some dogs can't be trained, sadly.

If only they would meet me in the middle.

Lav1200 and Cal like this.
  2. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg Anyone with a spring compressor tool? I've acces to one in airdre, but maybe someone is close by. I'm in Calgary SW. Don't need to take it with me, this will only take a few minutes. Pm. Thanks in advance.
    ColumbusTheExplorer likes this.
  3. AJRJ

AJRJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ha! I had the shock out of my 690 yesterday, in the hopes the X trig left over from a dirt bike in my garage would have fit (it didn't). Would the Zip tie trick work, where you use 6-8 beefy zip ties and squish/tighten?

Wish I would have ordered one of those before the dollar tanked...
  4. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tried that last night. Almost lost my fingers. I decided to use the tool.
    Lycan1 and AJRJ like this.
  5. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg image.jpeg Well, not bad for today. Did some TLC to the 690 this weekend. Swing arm and linkage all apart and regreased with the good stuff. Caught it just in time too: some rust forming on the engine mount and the pivot bolts were pretty dry. Chain off and cleaned up. The shock remains in progress, and some new meat on the rear. I tried out the Mitas 07 last year, but found it too slippery for my liking - the back end was always coming around. So, back to the Pirelli Rally Cross from the existing tire quiver. I'm still shopping for a good combo. The Rally Cross just don't last very long: 1500 to 2000 km. Removed the kickstand safety's and installed the bypass - it never was a problem to me but it's a really cheesy set up and you can get stranded if it gets damaged. For me, the best answer is to remove it. Still quite a bit to do before the season: I'm doing my best to get my head out of my ass and do some rides and camping with the community.

Probably not as clean as I would like - it was put away wet last year. I will wash it once it's on the road again.

Edit: I forgot too add that I'm trying something new: greasing up the tire tube prior to the install. I've always used the various tire lubes, but thought I'd give this a go. It sure made positioning the tube easy.
  6. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    I'll ask the mechanics at work tomorrow if they have a spring compressor tool That I can borrow for you.

Looks like you are really getting into that. Looks like a side of beef hanging there.

At least someone is getting something done during this!

I chopped more ice out from behind my place and baked Cinnamon buns. They go great with whiskey.

I found a use for old roll charts should the stores close.

FB_IMG_1584825644184.jpg
  7. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much, but no longer required. If anyone had one today I would have headed over just so I could finish the back end. I'm heading Airdre way tomorrow at lunch time and will be able to get the spring done then. I did think of your tire machine today: I was trying out some new spoons - short and flat - as they will sit in my road tool set up. The Mitas sure have a strong side wall when it's cold. I got it done with patience. The new irons are actually better than I thought.
  8. Cowtowner

Cowtowner Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey, hope you guys are all doing ok

Just did a small pavement ride out to 66 winter gate today but felt good to be back on the bike and try out the new mufflers. Saw a couple bikes today, all sport bikes.

29B7A93A-A277-44BA-8F1A-ADA1C1207C21.jpeg
    Cal, superfunkomatic, Lav1200 and 3 others like this.
  9. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:

How do you like the Wings? Good on you for getting out.
  10. Cowtowner

Cowtowner Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    They are awesome, really well made. I was running a Rottweiler full 2 into 1 full system (headers , y pipe and Yosh muffler) and a rott filter and it was pretty loud. So I went back to the stock airbox and these mufflers and it’s way toned down and runs real well too. Also has spark arrestor - not sure its very important but you’re supposed to run them lots of places and I like to run it if they say you have to, if only to respect what is probably a dumb law.
    Lycan1 likes this.
  11. AJRJ

AJRJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice work on the 690 Cal08, I snuck off to the garage over the last few days myself: IMG_5846.jpg
    Lycan1 and ColumbusTheExplorer like this.
  12. Pjammer

Pjammer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well it seems the 690's of the city are getting a good working over.

Mine got a new chain, and will be getting new rocker arms, and valves checked in the next couple days. Between parenting

I wish I had the time/tools/know-how to go as deep as you Cal. And I envy your clear fuel tanks AJRJ KIMG7941.jpg KIMG7935.jpg
    AJRJ, cal08 and ColumbusTheExplorer like this.
  13. ColumbusTheExplorer

ColumbusTheExplorer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I assume you are going to the orange spring? What is the weight ratings for that?

In one of my 690's the previous owner put in a black spring. He said he did as he was quite large. He also did the front fork springs. Gave me the original parts which has the white (wp 08-220) spring. Not even sure what the rating is on the black but am looking to go back to 08-220 or perhaps something else after a bit more research.

These guys provide a chart and I assume you just find your weight with gear and get that rated spring for the back and then a similar process for the front to get some kind of balance.
    https://slavensracing.com/shop/shock-springs-61mm-x-220mm-ktm-690/
  14. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That garage looks like it sees a lot of action.
    AJRJ likes this.
  15. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. The manual is the ticket. I'll also give credit where it's due: the 2T's in the quiver really hone the wrenching skil sets and allow you to tackle things in bit sized pieces. Those things get most of my attention and I was really feeling guilty about that gorgeous 690 just getting driven into the ground. The next few weeks are really opportune, bike maintenance wise.
  16. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not opposed to doing the suspension, but my garage is unheated and it's really hard to put something together when your freezing. I've handed over the last 3 suspension builds - both TE 2T's and the now the 690 - valves, springs, and seals, etc to Don at Pro-Action in Airdre. The Gixxer went to a Bragg Creek mechanic, who transformed that bike from sphincter-lock level 5 to a train on rails. I've been really happy with all of the riding on the builds. Done on time, done correctly; kinda spendy until you ride a properly tuned suspension. In my mind it's a very reasonable purchase. Don put an 8.6 for the 690. It's supposed to be a nice balance for my fat ass and when I throw some luggage on it as well, in conjunction with the XTRIG, and valved for 90 to 130 on washboard roads. I'll have to wait to find out, but I've been happy so far with Don's work. And he always picks up the phone and takes my call when I ask questions about adjustments.
  17. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How does the bike ride?
  18. ColumbusTheExplorer

ColumbusTheExplorer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    While I have ridden it, I'm not sure I have rode it. (that sentence just seems strange). I can only imagine it would ride terribly for someone who knew what they were doing, more than throwing a leg over and twisting the throttle.

I'm not an advanced rider and have zero point of reference to know how it should feel or what to expect. I'm learning though, I think. I have a ktm 350 xcf for off road that the previous owner had suspension work done. We are about the size but he's a much better rider. That bike just feels great. Soft when it needs to be, never bottoming out. I really like the feel of it.

On the 2010-690, it mainly on roads, paved or some forestry. I find it ok, but really don't know what I am supposed to feel... I assume it has to be too hard. He was 350lbs, I'm 220 lbs. The bike should ride like a rock with me on it...

I had Jeff at renold brothers do my other 2016-690 forks and shock. The previous owner had them shortened... So Jeff undid that and he spec'd the new springs for my weight plus gear and we went up a few ratings. I have his invoice with all the details, I will dig out and see if I can figure out the numbers.

This 2010-690, my son will ride and I think the stock is going to be right in his weight range. Picked up a few tools over the winter to try it my self (no, spring compressor). Looks like one of the seals has gone and the oil would need a change. Swapping the fork springs at that time should be simple.
  19. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 2 cents on how the bike should feel and drive: it should feel like it's on a train track.

That's it. Full stop. It should drive like it's attached to a set of rails regardless of the terrain you are on or what you are doing. The bike tracks smoothly, turns easily at any speed, but particularly at the speeds you want it to drive at. You should always feel in control and not feel scared. The term "planted" is often employed in suspension discussions to describe how the bike rides. It's a good word here. You are solidly attached to the ground, like a tree.

As you go out and ride, begin to focus on where the bike feels good and why, or bad. My gixxer went from a terrifying experience to my most favourite ride overnight, due 100 percent to suspension. You have the experience of your XCF, and now you need to translate that experience to the next bike.

There is more to this discussion than just suspension, of course. Tires, skills, etc to infinity will all play a role. But you need to start at someplace, to focus the discussion and solutions. Almost all of the suspension discussions begin with a proper spring rate to your weight. I would absolutely start there. This swap, by the way, is really easy on the 690, both for the forks and the shock.

As for skills development, I'm a real advocate of professional development: Chris Birch runs a regular summer course. Take that as a birthday gift to yourself. It's not even expensive, given you get him for about 6 hours. My first time through his curriculum I found I was doing everything wrong: I mean 100 percent incorrect: stance, how I sit, my controls set up. Handlebar position, how I tackled obstructions. It was effing embarrassing. A real eye opener. Now I watch for his courses and take one every year, either the enduro or the big bike. Every year I get better, but I don't consider myself an awesome rider either.
    ColumbusTheExplorer likes this.
  20. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ahh serendipity! I was just thinking about a suspension tune up as I'm long overdue.
    Sounds like you're satisfied with both guys; well more like ecstatic about the gixxer rework. "Bragg Creek mechanic" is a little non specific though. I have both a street bike and a dual purpose in need of attention. Please feel free to expound on your experience with these two. Thanks in advance.