1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Calgarians that dualsport

Discussion in 'Canada' started by macuser, Feb 9, 2009.

1. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some good news and bad news: it appears the great 4T vs 2T debate took a significant turn this evening as CNN reports. Probably we will more of this over the next few days.
    image.jpeg

One of the sub-projects for this year was to return the braking system back to a standard foot and hand brake set up. A few years ago, prior to the hip surgery, I had lost reliability in my ability to use the foot brake. My leg and hip would seize in place, with a massive pain spike just to top it off. That unreliability was the cause of one of my more high speed get-offs, and not wanting to repeat the event, I turned to the very robust left-hand-rear-brake and clutch combo from CLAKE in Australia. Returning to the standard set up comes from the Birch courses, as I am standardizing my set up across all the other bikes: same handlebars, same lever position, etc to create a minimal difference between each bike. Well, I got in a hurry and got a bit rammy, and ended up breaking the foot lever as I tried to straighten it out from a previous kiss from Mother Earth. It's cold, so a natural stopping point for this evening.

image.jpeg
    Lycan1, Cal, Lav1200 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    PSA from Lectron...
    1584499342656_IMG_3077.jpg
  3. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I overheard my wife and girlfriend talking:

image.jpeg
    Cal, Lav1200 and Lycan1 like this.
  4. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    I knew I should have kept that RZ 350. That explains so much about married life since the late Eighties....

Guy at work asked when can we put the horns on our bikes? Mad Max reference.

1585163923697_max.jpg
  5. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    Looking good this weekend for getting out on 2 wheels.... may have to take a tiger torch to my back alley to cut a tire-wide strip in the 5" of ice there. I am getting desperate for some social distancing fun.
    ScooterNoMore and Lycan1 like this.
  6. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    I have spare levers for a 690, clutch and brake side but no rear foot brake lever. If the hand controls are of use let me know. Free to a good home.
  7. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very generous - those are parts I replace on a regular basis. Dibs called.
  8. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any chance of the '14 and above 690 owners can verify the routing of the rear main brake cylinder to the ABS? Is it front of the frame toward the engine, or to the rear of the frame, by the shock linkage.

20200325_211544.jpg
    Or is it in front, where my finger points?

20200325_211539.jpg

A different view. This way:

20200325_211643.jpg

Or this way:

20200325_211653.jpg

Thanks in advance.
  9. pictor1

pictor1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    cal08 and Lycan1 like this.
  10. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. AJRJ

AJRJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saw this too late to be of assistance,glad you got it sorted. I have the earlier non-ABS model as well.

I had some parts come wrong from Rally Raid, UPS says they'll be here today :clap. I think a ride is exactly what I need as well, after 2 weeks in isolation...
  12. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a heads up on what loctite can do to some plastics. I installed a fender extender on my new CB500X and it used 2 small bolts, so I used loctite on the bolts before assembly and some ran off the bolts on to the fender, I thought nothing of it until the next morning!! I walked into the garage and saw all these pieces of shattered fender plastic under the bike. It made the plastic into peanut brittle and destroyed the fender!! Be warned. Good thing is Rocky Mtn. quoted a decent price for a replacement equal to the US price.
    cal08 and LANCIVPT like this.
  13. LANCIVPT

LANCIVPT Carbon Pilot

Oddometer:
    I’m dealing with a IMS 3 Gal tank that the mounting points are not even close to lining up for my 2020 FE 501 s.

Did go for my first ride on the GSA for the new year though on Sunday. IMG_0352.jpg
    IMG_0353.jpg
    IMG_0348.jpg
  14. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That sucks. Sometimes the piss-around factor is very high with these mods. I hope the manufacturer takes care of this for you.

My evening went quite straightforward tonight. Re-routed the rear master to the confirmed stock location, and, because I'm waiting for my foot lever replacement to arrive, left everything just finger tight, to be loctite and torqued at a later date. I hope I remember all of the bolts to do. - that part I don't like. I'd rather button them up as I go along so I'm sure. After installing the lower 85C t-stat, I moved on to the front to install the radiator protection. Last year I high sided down a switchback, landing radiator first; this year at least if I take another biff, I won't ruin the assembly. This product is by Flatland racing and as far as it goes, appears to be a good piece of kit. There is room to install with no rub points, and the bracing is solid. While the wife and child went out for their walk, I took advantage of an empty kitchen to wash out all the debris in the fins of the Rad. A surprising amount came out. If you find you're running hot, this may be a good solution to pursue. With the forks out, the rad was removed in just a few minutes. I installed a few aftermarket dongles after removing the vapour recovery system. Don't kid yourself into thinking that charcoal doesn't end up in your injectors: when I blew out the line I was shocked how much soot came out. It's all gone now, 'tho. The kickstand bypass dongle was installed along with a Rotweiler fuel bypass for the exhaust O2. Hopefully this will smooth out the throttle at the low end. I could've fabbed up a kickstand dongle, and even had the parts, but I like the ability to return to stock.

image.jpeg

Here are the tiny parts.

image.jpeg

It's nice and clean without that vapor recovery.

image.jpeg

Finished off the evening by pulling apart electrical connectors and cleaning them with contact cleaner, reinstalling with dielectric grease. Still lots to do.
    powderzone, Cal and Lycan1 like this.
  15. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was looking at that bike of yours this am. Dual front discs, single side swing arm. The beemer designers really nailed this series I think. It's really a sharp visual and will stand the test of time.
    LANCIVPT likes this.
  16. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    just out of curiosity, was it oil tolerant type?
  17. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I looked at the tube and no mention of oil tolerant, just regular blue loctite. Here is a photo and a couple of the rear rack I built this week.
    SAM_2669.JPG SAM_2670.JPG SAM_2673.JPG
    Lycan1 likes this.
  18. The Maz

The Maz Clueless and lost

Oddometer:
    Oil tolerant is loctite 243 where regular is 242
    cal08 likes this.
  19. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    My mistake it was not loctite that I used it was Permatex thread locker blue. Going to their products page it says not to be used near themoformed plastics of any kind as it causes hairline cracking .... well no shit!
    Lycan1 likes this.
  20. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My experience: I've used 243 (thanks @The Maz) oil tolerant type with zero problems on all connections regardless of base martial forever it seems, but now that you've shown that bullet hole, I'm inclined to check the manufacturer info as well on it.
    Cal likes this.