Calgarians that dualsport

Discussion in 'Canada' started by macuser, Feb 9, 2009.

1. LANCIVPT

LANCIVPT Carbon Pilot

Oddometer:
    Today I rode the GSA and the 501 back to back and the first time I could give the 501 some beans.

I rode the 501 with lots of open throttle today - mud, gravel snow and ice mix road - and I really like the 501. I took it to Waiparous and then back to HWY 40 north onto Water Valley through some serous mud , ice and gravel mix. This thing was a piece of cake off road compared to the GSA today.

-especially through the mud.

I have been told the stock TKC 80’s are crap on the 501 but I was happy with them today.

And I felt like I was flying on the gravel roads as if it is on rails ( maybe the steering dampener?)- I’m easily faster on it than the GSA -it really likes to be ridden in high revs on gravel - doing 120 plus on the gravel felt great.

IMG_0389.jpg
    It’s a little off road monster. IMG_0388.jpg
    IMG_0385.jpg
    IMG_0386.jpg
  2. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most excellent field report. Personally, I think the 501 is the perfect platform. As fast as the 690, but more nimble and more versatile as a result. Question: which BD is that? Happy? Driven in the dark yet?

On my build, I'm still on the tinkering stage. In an attempt to service the brake piston, which is not serviceable - curse you KTM bastards - I ended up damaging the retainer seal and as a result had to order up a new front master. It's not the end of the world: it did get banged up in a biff a few years ago. It just bugs me that I can't service what would be a normally serviceable part on every other motorcycle. I would have swapped out to an after market, but the brake switches are integrated, so it's just easier to keep it stock. The shifter got replaced with a 450 EXC shifter, much stiffer, better made. The stock one flexes quite a bit and, at least for me, gave me a lot of neutral shifts, which seems to be a very common comment on the performance of the 690 platforms of similar years. The chaps on the forums that have made the swap say this is a good solution and seem to eliminate it. If it still persists, there are some aftermarket shifter springs and ceramic bearings that eliminate the problem 100 percent. Hopefully this works. The casting on the shifter was filed to remove a bit of manufacturing debris, but otherwise, slapped on. I'm on standby till the next order comes in. Have a great Easter gentleman.

20200408_191033.jpg 20200408_191621.jpg
    AJRJ, LANCIVPT, Cal and 1 other person like this.
  3. LANCIVPT

LANCIVPT Carbon Pilot

Oddometer:
    [Question: which BD is that? Happy? Driven in the dark yet?

Excuse my ignorance but what is the BD? I rode in semi darkness - rolled in at home at 8 pm.
  4. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your light. It looks like the Baja designs. They use the BD as their product mark.
  5. LANCIVPT

LANCIVPT Carbon Pilot

Oddometer:
    No , mine is a Husky LED unit a bought from BFD. I like it but it’s not as powerful as the BD unit.
    cal08 likes this.
  6. TheMuffinMan54

TheMuffinMan54 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used to say my 690 was a 9-speed...6 gears and three neutrals.
    cal08 likes this.
  7. Pjammer

Pjammer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    QUOTE="cal08, post: 39785839, member: 59346"][The shifter got replaced with a 450 EXC shifter, much stiffer, better made. The stock one flexes quite a bit and, at least for me, gave me a lot of neutral shifts, which seems to be a very common comment on the performance of the 690 platforms of similar years. The chaps on the forums that have made the swap say this is a good solution and seem to eliminate it. If it still persists, there are some aftermarket shifter springs and ceramic bearings that eliminate the problem 100 percent. Hopefully this works.]

Hey Cal08, I'm following in your footsteps.
    A couple years back, you let me come over and sit in your 690, when I was looking at getting one. Now I'm way down that rabbit hole.

Well , now as I sit around on my duff, I'm following your lead on the maintenance train. Thus far I've replaced the oem fuel pump(as a precaution), cleaned and greased all rear pivoting points, changed brake fluids, and pads, and replaced the clutch oil.
    I have a new chain on, and a new intake coming next week.

I was looking at the levers amongst all this work, and have been thinking about replacing them.
    I found a clean speed brake lever on the flea market, and was looking around for a shifter last night.

I'm wondering where you got your EXC lever from? Local shop, or online?

For the price of them I was seeing, wouldn't an aftermarket like Hammerhead (or the like) be a better option?

KIMG7998.JPG KIMG7975.JPG
    ScooterNoMore and cal08 like this.
  8. pictor1

pictor1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hey Pjammer, here is what I did lever wise:

The 450 exc shift lever was $120 at Blackfoot so I bought a cast Hammerhead from these guys https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/hammerhead-forged-shift-lever-with-knurled-tip-p for $36 US. A couple things you should note, my bike is a 2019 and I bought the slightly longer version (they have 3 sizes std, +10mm and +20mm) I wear size 11 and have always thought that I would like the shifter a little further away.

shifter2.jpg shifter1.jpg
    I think the clearance is better than stock shifter but I haven't had a chance to try it yet, so it is all hypothetical. They also sell a Tusk version, but only in the standard length and a forged Hammerhead version for twice the price, but someone said it is likely extra strong and will just break your shifter shaft instead?? So we will see how it works out. Also the pegs I have are 5mm lower than stock, and who knows how that will affect things?

I replaced my clutch lever with a short one from a 2012 450 sx (about $45 at Blackfoot, Tyler knows which one it is) When I rode with it I didn't like where the big ball hit my hand so I cut it down. Here is what it looks like
    lever2.jpg lever1.jpg
    I think it is going to work out well, but as I am about to install a Rekluse and with the quikshifter on the 2019 I may not use it much at all??
    cal08 likes this.
  9. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, that brings back a memory. Now we have to go riding!

On the lever question, I had a buddy give me a set, a misorder sent to him but the wrong year. The manufacturer said just keep them, as it was more to return. So I have them as a gift. The clutch lever fits fine; the brake less so, but I learned about brake piston throw and brake drag, so it was a great thing to find out. In my case, in the aftermarket product, the small divot that is milled that holds in place and actuates the brake piston was not to the same depth. As a result, there was a slight drag on the front wheel full time. No good. Stock was fine. I'm returning to stock as a result. There is a small ability to screw this contact point in or out, but not enough to release the drag.
    They look identical tho, but don't fit identical, so reputable manufacturing shops are a must I think. These levers are Amazon no names. I trust clean speed after getting their stuff, but no name stuff may not work out.

On the shifter question, it was a local order through cycle works. I've ordered tons through the US, and sometimes it works out and others it's a break even. This was close enough to a break even to shop locally. I try to shop local out of principle unless the price point is really far apart or I can't get it at all. The shifter solution was straight off the 690 forums, from another guy who tested and fitted a number of OEM shifters. To be fair, I didn't really look at other manufacturers, so I can't compare. I chose this one because was the same type and shape as my TE, so I was already happy with it. This one does fit and lines up 100 percent and is much stiffer if that's anything. Those comments, however, about shifters being stronger than the spline are good comments, now that I think about it. In the end, I am hoping the missed shifts of the 690 are gone, but I won't know till I ride it. Shifter cost was $100.00 through cycle works; if it solves the BS, I'm happy with the cost.

What's your intake going to be?
  10. Pjammer

Pjammer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. Any and all is always welcome.
    I hadn't even thought about a shifter being too stiff, that it would wreak havoc with the spline. I think I'll stick with the stock, and check out as many of your guys set ups if/when I ever see you.
    I think I may do some dremel work on my stock clutch lever, and see if I like it.
    Ordered a cheapo set of Amazon last year, but they don't look like they'll fit, and seem very cheap (I know, get what you pay for)
  11. Pjammer

Pjammer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hear you about shopping local. I do support them as much as possible, but sometimes the prices piss me off.

I ordered a Rade garage intake. So just a little airbox, and foam filter. Free up some under seat space, and hopefully better than the stock pos.

And yes, I do believe it seems like we need to start up a 690 club.
    I think the appropriate name would be "The Hells Satan's"
  12. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No disrespect, but I doubt I'd command the mojo required to maintain such an esteemed handle.
  13. Pjammer

Pjammer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haha. No, me neither.

Just an old Simpsons reference Screenshot_20200411-222514.jpg
    cal08 likes this.
  14. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    For those interested:

Chris Birch has put together a 16 episode series for skills on big bikes here: www.chrisbirch.co.nz

35USD.

Online 1:1 coaching is available as well via video conferencing.
  15. AJRJ

AJRJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve done the shifter change as well, although I went with the newer style. Ignore the blinged out orange tip, that was just a power parts tip to repair a broken one. The newer style is a lot easier on boots, and is also slightly longer in length than the exc shifter Cal08 used. Mine is from a 2017 450 XCF, if you were wondering. I’d check out Allison or Tyler at Cycleworks, they should be competitive on the pricing mentioned.

Attached Files:

cal08 likes this.
  16. Pjammer

Pjammer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you fellas for all the good info.
    The next moment I get away from parenting, I'll look into those different shifters
  17. ScooterNoMore

ScooterNoMore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rain......RAIN!!! Yay!!!! Melt you bastard, melt!!
  18. Pjammer

Pjammer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ScooterNoMore likes this.
  19. skydivegazoo

skydivegazoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's normal operations. Use any excuse to ban us at every opportunity.

I once had a fish cop shelter from the pouring rain under my awning while he told me that we had to leave due to fire risk. The absurdity of the situation was too much for me so I calmly reached over to the control panel and, while looking him directly in the eye, retracted the awning.
    AJRJ likes this.
  20. ScooterNoMore

ScooterNoMore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmmm!!??????
    IMG_2743.JPG
    Cal likes this.