Calgarians that dualsport

Discussion in 'Canada' started by macuser, Feb 9, 2009.

1. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've always been partial to back roads map books. I like looking at possible routes when I'm not riding.
  2. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bakfarht likes this.
  3. Bakfarht

Bakfarht Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, they're a bit pricey but look like they're worth it.
    cal08 likes this.
  4. Bakfarht

Oddometer:
    Much appreciated!
  5. powderzone

powderzone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you're an iphone user the Gaia app subscription includes the BackRoads maps. Can't recall what the subscription costs but it's a fraction of the downloadable backroad maps that I've got on my Garmin (I think it was $250 just for BC and AB).
    Bakfarht likes this.
  6. Pjammer

Pjammer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree that although pricey, the Backroads map books are great. Nice for flipping thru in the cold months, and if you have space on a trip.
    For digital, I use my my rugged phone(Kyocera Duraforce pro. Water/dust/shock proof for $150cad) as a GPS. Lots of good apps, like Locus(free and pro versions. Quite a steep learning curve, but very powerful) Osmand, and others. I'm too cheap to buy a stand alone GPS, plus I have music or podcasts.
    Put your phone in airplane mode, and the battery usage is quite low. All kinds of free downloadable maps that are very detailed.
    Good for on the fly checking trails out.
    Bakfarht likes this.
  7. LANCIVPT

LANCIVPT Carbon Pilot

Oddometer:
    Gaia is 39.99 USD per annum for the premium package - allows you to overlay the base map which is MapBox Streets HD with Backroad Mapbooks Canada, BRMB ATV Trails and Canada Topo or more if you want at the same time. Highly recommended.
    Bakfarht likes this.
  8. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. Bakfarht

Oddometer:
    Great idea, I've thought about using an older indestructible phone rather than a GPS. I have Garmin but it's not that easy to use just as a map, and no apps.
  10. xscoobysnack

xscoobysnack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use Osmand and a Garmin now. The Osmand maps on a phone are WAY better for the backroads and I find it easier to follow the tracks that Lycan1 has posted over the years.
    Lycan1 and Bakfarht like this.
  11. Bakfarht

Oddometer:
    I installed Gaia on my android, great maps even without a subscription. Thanks!
  12. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could not find written verification on a gov.bc site: Other threads are talking that BC provincial parks are closed to non-residents for camping. Anyone search savvy to verify?
  13. VF1000Fe

VF1000Fe Rubbermaid Renegade

Oddometer:
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-parks-closed-nonresidents-1.5579086

Bummer, I was hoping to do NWT/Yukon/Alaska this summer, but they are still closed.
    So was gonna base-camp outa buddies place in Terrace and spend a week doing everything on The Cassiar.
    Not now. May not open up till an actual Vaccine becomes available to all, or a Clorox Smoothie?
    There is Motel Accommodation in Dease Lake, availability unknown. Last I was there (Feb/2019) it was $137/night (and then a stack of BC taxes).
    I would think Private Campgrounds could still accept anybody.
    RockyDS likes this.
  14. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Q for those more informed: how does all of that off grid, user-maintained site access fit in here?
  15. powderzone

powderzone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Assuming you mean the forestry sites that don’t require reservations, open for use by anyone. They are outside the purview of BC Parks.
    To restrict access would require a constitutional something-or-other (insert lawyer stuff here) from the Feds as I understand it or a broad area closure from the province - affecting locals as well.
    Crazy times.
    cal08 likes this.
  16. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been trying to find that info too. I haven't found any mention of the BC Recreation sites in the orders and find it hard to imagine how they would restrict them. That said, the hostile natives might make it unbearable to travel in the province.

At this point, my early plans are focusing on staying in AB, with hopes for a more open welcome for later in the summer into BC.
    superfunkomatic, Cal and cal08 like this.
  17. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    I thought I'd read about firebans here in Alberta this summer, too. Particularly, if the Covid situation continues - the government didn't literally want to fight fires on two fronts. Could be the same in BC?
    I'd like to sneak over into the Chilcotin as a shorter trip this summer. A lot of wait and see...
  18. Bakfarht

Oddometer:
    I'm putting off my Tuk ride until next summer :(
    Definitely this only affects BC provincial campgrounds at this point. Should be no issues with random camping.
  19. ScooterNoMore

ScooterNoMore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking to do a loop up 1A going through Morley. What’s in Morley or should I continue to 1X. I’ve just never taken that road.

Thanks all.
  20. TheMuffinMan54

TheMuffinMan54 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    New bike day!!! 17380DCA-D439-47D4-9F4B-A4CA234A2D70.jpg