Calgarians that dualsport

Discussion in 'Canada' started by macuser, Feb 9, 2009.

1. wylie348

wylie348 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are those DOT tires? I like them. Looking for some for my FE 350 but wanting DOT. Leaning towards Tractionator Enduro IT...
  2. BenzADV59

BenzADV59 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did you get any info back ? There’s not much of anything in Morley. 1a is always fun
  3. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, DOT. I’ve ran 3 sets of them. They are really nice. While they last, which is about 2k ish, which is my only complaint. You can actually see the tread evaporate during a single ride. They are a 90/10. If you have any pavement in your normal routes, these are less recommended, again, only for longevity. I’m looking at those Mitas E13’s next. Whatever you decide, give us a field report. I’m always interested in what products folks use.

Edit: I thought you were asking about the 690. My bad. The 2T is running the stock set up, Dunlop geomax AT81with Tubliss front and back rear at 5 psi, front at 14. So far, an excellent choice with no observable downsides. I don’t think that’s a DOT, but I’d have to check.

Checked. Doesn’t look like it. https://fortnine.ca/en/dunlop-geomax-at81-rear-tire
    wylie348 likes this.
  4. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Best part of the 1A is between Morley and 1X. Watch for horses, cows, pedestrians, etc. though. It is a nice stretch from 1X on into Canmore as well. Good place to stop for a coffee and do the return on 1A. #1 from Canmore to Calgary is a bit of a drone/snooze. I would skip Morley.

Depending on what you are riding and how much time you have, this is a nice day loop as well.
    Caution a bit on Powderface trail. It still has some muddy spots.
    https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Coch...56!2d51.0899934!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!3e0?hl=en
    cal08 likes this.
  5. ScooterNoMore

ScooterNoMore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hay. Didn’t make it to Morley or 1A. Ended staying on the south side of the Trans Canada. Went counterclockwise on Powderface with a stop at the Stony Tim’s. Near perfect weather! Insanely busy with hikers and picnickers from Ford Creek-66 right through to the Bragg Creek intersection. Yes, a bit muddy in spots. Had to dial back my overconfidence a few times. I was checking the rear views for my riding partner and just missed a rock the size of a volleyball that had made it to the middle of the road!! It would have been a bent rim for sure!! 61203414905__C769D907-AF39-4404-9F67-BCACCB9E3C43.JPG IMG_3139.JPG IMG_3134.JPG IMG_3136.JPG

Did the green bit.

IMG_3143.jpg
  6. The Maz

The Maz Clueless and lost

Oddometer:
  7. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Fairly certain I saw Scooter and friend out there in our travels. I definately spotted Scooby and his buddy by the MacLean store while we waited for a couple of guys.

Lots of bikes out and about today.
    ScooterNoMore likes this.
  8. Bakfarht

Bakfarht Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. Bakfarht

Bakfarht Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did the 532/40 loop through Cataract Creek today, excellent riding. 20200524_163254.jpg
  10. xscoobysnack

xscoobysnack Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I went up to the gate and back on the main road, then looped back and did the FTR through Coleman. I was with my brother in law on his brand new Triumph Explorer 1200. Not nearly as much traffic as I expected.
    Lycan1 likes this.
  11. ScooterNoMore

Oddometer:
    Someone on a big GS(I think) was snapping photos about 1/2 way. As I passed him, I flashed a peace sign.

Like you say, so many bikes.

On my way home, east on 66 I was thankful I have a dual sport/Adv bike. 99% were road bikes. They miss so much only on the road.
    Bakfarht and Lycan1 like this.
  12. ScooterNoMore

Oddometer:
    I’m thinking the Triumph’s are quite a popular ADV bike up here, at least today. I’d guess that 40% on the Powderface were Tigers, next were GS’s then a mixed bag of everything else. At the memorial, a North bound Super Tenere was getting spanked. He was up the little hill and around the two turns like it was a 450.

It was great seeing all the differences.
    Lycan1 likes this.
  13. LANCIVPT

LANCIVPT Carbon Pilot

Oddometer:
    Took my son out on his first bike he got yesterday - great day teaching riding skills. Clutch-throttle- brake and balance. ( eyes up look where you want to go etc. ) He is getting used to changing gears now. IMG_0060.jpg
    IMG_0059.jpg
  14. Cowtowner

Cowtowner Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I went to buy fuel filter and cage on Saturday (it's a KTM kit) at dealer and it was $95 - no thanks, so then discovered all kinds of HFP/Quantum fuel pump stuff on Amazon so I'm going with that.

Still waiting on figuring out what to do about the broken exhaust header and dealing with some other stuff, so I'm taking time to dig into this bike petty good. I see better now what you meant about rocker arms (maybe not good enough to just inspect 'em, since maybe they can suffer catastrophic failure) so I'll pull 'em out and probably replace at this point depending on the casting number on them. I should look at the valves anyway.

Put some new Fatbars on there and some Cycra pro bends that I had from my son's bike that we sold - it's starting to look pretty good! If I can get to Greggs this week I'm going to make up a little fuse box for it from metripak parts if they have the little three fuse holder thing. It never ends!
    cal08 and ScooterNoMore like this.
  15. wylie348

wylie348 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    is that a KLX-230? I am looking for a smaller bike for my daughter but want it bigger than her old XL100...
  16. LANCIVPT

LANCIVPT Carbon Pilot

Oddometer:
    It’s a KLX 110 L - the L is 2 inches taller than the standard KLX 110 and comes with a manual clutch. There is a lot of relatively inexpensive aftermarket stuff to improve the bike in performance and size as he grows with it. Look up this bike on YouTube it quite impressive IMO.
  17. tokenboy

tokenboy Gnirly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How old is your daughter? Mine is 12 and she is riding a KLX140L. There are 3 KLX140 models, the base, small wheel, the L with bigger wheels, and the G, which is a full sizish bike.

My daughter moved to the 140L at 11. I installed a lowering link to drop it. Height-wise it is fine (she is tall). This was her first bike with a clutch and it went fine. The bike is heavy for her at around 210lbs (my 300 is not much more..), but you can't avoid that with the modern 4-strokes. She knows that if she tips over, she waits for dad.

I'll see how this season goes, but I'll probably be pulling the lowering link and going back to stock height sooner than later.
    wylie348 and cal08 like this.
  18. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So glad to see Dads getting there littles ones riding. I had a great proud dad moment this weekend: little one, now 15 and second year on the 125 2T, hammered one of the toughest lines she has ever attempted: long, steep, full of baby head size rocks, turns and off camber. Nailed it first try. She is finally getting used to having the 2T on the pipe and using the clutch to throttle the traction. All the best gents.
  19. ColumbusTheExplorer

ColumbusTheExplorer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20200524_180243.jpg
    The water at the Three point creek ford was running faster after a few days of rain. I did not cross. the sketchy part for me is the first ~20 feet till you get to the concrete pad. in the past the fast water has washed out the gravel and there has been a hole in front of the pad. Just the spot that I would have no footing and topple over... :-(
  20. ColumbusTheExplorer

ColumbusTheExplorer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did the same ride. The view from the top never gets old.
    20200524_155815.jpg

Just south of turner Valley is another great viewpoint
    20200524_174320.jpg

and of course a little view of the empty city center with a tiny tower...
    20200524_182106.jpg

Great day to get out. This coming week and weekend is looking very promising as well! :-)